Status
Not open for further replies.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My irritation is not that some people don't like Fauci, feel free, but rather that they make up utterly incorrect stuff to support their viewpoint.
Like I said, we understand you are willing to defend Fauci continuously even though he’s contradicted himself over and over. That article was just in the weeds, but it was important enough for you to try to defend Fauci.

I bet you do the same for CDC and WHO though who have also been equally wrong and contradict their own statements.

As they say, even a broken analog clock is right once a day. Or, if you like this better, even a blind hog can find an acorn from time to time. Probably not fair to the hog since they have a good sense of smell to put in the category with these people. It’s like the weather. If you want to know what the weather is go outside.

Sure, every once in a while the public health officials get something right, but not enough to have an army of defenders like you to make excuses for them.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I just lost two attempts to reply so this is just a test.

On the second attempt the first reply reappeared, but then both disappeared before could post. Oh well…guess there may be a message being conveyed. LOL

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

On the second attempt the first reply reappeared, but then both disappeared before could post. Oh well…guess there may be a message being conveyed. LOL
Whew and here I just thought it was the government intercepting my cell phone so they can pinpoint my location and send the helicopters to shoot me with their vaccine darts 😂🤣😂.

Sorry Henro, just meant that in fun 😉

But in all seriousness, OTT has been doing some weird things in the past few weeks that I’ve noticed. It will refresh while reading. When responding it will refresh and lose part of the response, while typing it will jump back to a different part of the response. It just did it twice in me trying to type this.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine

Maybe your computer has a novel virus:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
In case I was not clear, I too think it is not my place to tell others what to do, but will state if I think their actions have a negative affect on me or others.

Agree that people tend to want others to do the same as they do...

Not sure why you quoted me twice implying that I somehow feel differently than you seem to...
I quoted two different statements with two different replies, placing them in a single response instead of two posts.

In the first case I was responding specifically to your statement "want to convince others" pointing out that I don't care what your (generic "your") decision is, and I don't "want to convince" anyone of anything other than to leave me alone and respect my decision, which is what you're saying.

The second part was in regard to people DEMANDING others get vaccinated. As I said, that may not be happening in this discussion, but it is happening, and in some cases to a very frightening level.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC

I seem to remember reading about someone having similar problems recently. But I don't see it now...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I seem to remember reading about someone having similar problems recently. But I don't see it now...
See this thread

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
Because the unvaccinated are more likely to be carrying higher levels of the virus and spreading it around before the symptoms appear, as compared to vaccinated people. Yes there are the break through cases in vaccinated people, but the claim is that these people do not carry enough virus load to spread it around much, if at all.

My grandkids under 12 cannot get vaccinated. So they are threatened by anyone that could give them the virus, to some degree, although the younger kids seem less likely to be seriously affected.

Of course, this is only if you believe the science. It is claimed that currently something like 99 percent of the deaths from the virus are unvaccinated people. I believe it but how can I prove it? I cannot. So I use faith in believing that these (and other) reports are based in fact. Just as others believe they are fiction.

So at the end of the day, we each make a decision and live or die by the result of that decision. We do that all the time anyway in other ways to various degrees.

I feel bad for those that do not have a choice, and cannot get a vaccination if they want to. Like those with compromised immune systems or being treated for cancer, and so on. The rest, well, it is their own decision for the most part, and if they choose to go unvaccinated, fine with me (except for the possible threat to others).

I certainly felt bad for the people that died before they could get vaccinated if they wanted to. But I will not shed a tear for those that chose to avoid the vaccination, if things go bad afterwards.

PS...Absolutely nothing meant to be political here...I learned a long time ago to avoid talking politics or religion...
You could give it to your grand children even though you have been vaccinated. You should isolate yourself and your family from the rest of the world if you are that concerned about it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Whew and here I just thought it was the government intercepting my cell phone so they can pinpoint my location and send the helicopters to shoot me with their vaccine darts 😂🤣😂.

Sorry Henro, just meant that in fun

But in all seriousness, OTT has been doing some weird things in the past few weeks that I’ve noticed. It will refresh while reading. When responding it will refresh and lose part of the response, while typing it will jump back to a different part of the response. It just did it twice in me trying to type this.
OTT is infected with the Green virus... 😉

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Lets take a look at Ivermectin, an inexpensive drug used in various countries for reduction or elimination of covid symptoms.

The media and some Doctors shunned the idea of its use.

Africa, home to 1.3 billion people, 16% of the worlds population has ivermectin used extensively in the population and has under 6.2 million cases. That’s 328 cases per million people. And 155k deaths.

Compared to USA with 1/4 the population and almost 35m cases, over 105k cases per million people and 625k deaths
Ivermectin ?? no comment except:

Why has Covid-19 had less of an impact in Africa?

REUTERS/SIPHIWE SIBEKO

By Alex Ezeh, Michael Silverman & Saverio Stranges

. . .
In a recent paper our team of public health researchers, led by health analyst Janica Adams, examined these possible explanations by reviewing the scientific literature. The aim was to help guide public health decision making to contain Covid-19.
Common theories for Covid-19’s impact in Africa
A number of hypotheses emerged from the literature review. In this article we explore the most common ones. More research is needed to better understand how these factors contribute to the lower burden of Covid-19 disease in the African context.

The young age demographic of sub-Saharan Africa
Age has been observed as a significant risk factor for severe Covid-19 illness. Most deaths occur in those aged 65 or older. The median age in North and South America, Europe, and Asia ranges from 32 to 42.5 years. The age demographic structure of sub-Saharan Africa is much younger—the median age is 18.
The stark difference in age demographics can be demonstrated by comparing Canada and Uganda, which are similar in population size. In Canada, the median age is 41.1. Around 18% of the population is 65 or older. In contrast, the median age of Uganda is 16.7. Only 2% of the population is 65 or older. Canada has recorded nearly 1.5 million Covid-19 cases and 27,000 deaths compared to fewer than 100,000 cases and 3,000 deaths in Uganda. Covid-19 has a significant impact on older people. Countries with larger proportions of older people are more likely to be hardest hit.

Lack of long-term care facilities
Most elderly people in sub-Saharan Africa don’t live in long-term care facilities. These facilities pose significant risks for infectious diseases. Covid-19 has substantially affected those living in long-term care facilities. During the first wave of the pandemic, about 81% of deaths in Canada occurred in those facilities.
In sub-Saharan Africa, provision of care is mostly left to families. This limits the number of formal caregivers and thus reduces the chance of transmission. An exception to this is South Africa, which has an established long-term care sector. South Africa was the worst affected country in sub-Saharan Africa. And 33% of Covid-19 outbreaks in South Africa occurred in long-term care facilities during the first wave.

Potential cross-protection from local circulating coronaviruses
It’s been suggested that prior exposure to circulating coronaviruses could reduce the severity of Covid-19 illness if people have developed antibodies. A previous study demonstrated that prior exposure to endemic coronaviruses resulted in lower chance of death and lower disease severity compared to those who were not previously exposed. Human-bat interactions are common in some rural areas of Africa.
Limitations of SARS-CoV-2 testing

There are concerns that the limited SARS-CoV-2 testing may have resulted in an undercounting of Covid-19-related deaths in sub-Saharan Africa. Insufficient data collection may mean we don’t really know the incidence and prevalence of Covid-19. Though varying across sub-Saharan Africa, testing levels have been low compared to other areas of the world.
Effective government public health response
The rapid response of several African governments and health organizations may have played a significant role. At the beginning of the pandemic, several measures were taken: screening, establishment of the Africa Task Force for Novel Coronavirus, suspension of flights from China, and closure of borders in 40 African nations. New programs also promote sharing of Covid-19 information across sub-Saharan Africa.

In contrast to high-income countries which focus on non-communicable diseases, health organizations in sub-Saharan Africa focus on infectious diseases. The formation of national public health institutions has been key in curbing infectious diseases in Africa through disease surveillance, diagnostics, and rapid response to outbreaks.
But stringent lockdowns have taken a serious economic and societal toll across sub-Saharan Africa. Lockdowns resulted in increased food insecurity, teenage pregnancy, gender-based violence, and disruptions in treatment of malaria, TB and HIV. Africa’s 54 nations are not all the same, and local responses should be tailored to the health, social, and economic realities in specific countries.
South Africa: the outlier
In contrast to the rest of sub-Saharan Africa, South Africa has experienced higher proportions of Covid-related hospitalizations and deaths. South Africa has a remarkably higher median age and a long-term care sector. In addition, the higher rates of HIV and TB in South Africa have been associated with higher Covid-19 death rates. The prevalence of noncommunicable disease in South Africa is higher than in other regions, which may contribute to the higher burden of Covid-19 disease. South Africa also has better diagnostic capabilities and healthcare documentation than other sub-Saharan African countries. This may contribute to higher reporting rates.
Recommendations for Covid-19 strategies in Africa
We believe that the low median age and a small percentage of vulnerable elderly contribute significantly to sub-Saharan Africa’s lower Covid-19 death rates.
Based on our research, we propose several policy prescriptions to help improve health practice.
  • Lockdowns lead to severe health consequences for the young and the poor in the African context. Therefore, reduced emphasis on lockdowns should be considered.
  • Better communication with the public is required to help curb Covid-19.
  • Governments should find adequate financial support for vulnerable sectors, possibly from external agencies.
  • Governments and health agencies should ensure that medical infrastructure is available in the case of a severe outbreak, as seen with the oxygen shortage in India.
  • International efforts should prioritize developing vaccines that are effective against virus variants of concern and ensuring equitable access to such vaccines.
The emergence of variants of concern with increased potential for transmission and more severe disease in the younger population could make Africa more susceptible to a severe Covid-19 epidemic. These variants need to be monitored through molecular epidemiologic surveillance. And further studies are needed to better understand potential mechanisms of severe disease in the African context.
This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
So, the FDA issued full approval of the Pjizer-BioNTech vaccine, so anti-vaxers can't use the "experimental drug" excuse anymore.
Actually, with over 300 million doses administered so far in the US, the rate of complications has been extremely low.
Unless of course, you count those suffered by all the hypochondriacs.
So put on your big boy pants, man up and get the vaccine.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You could give it to your grand children even though you have been vaccinated. You should isolate yourself and your family from the rest of the world if you are that concerned about it.
With the appearance of the delta variant, this is even more true than before.

BUT we should keep in mind, that if someone who is not vaccinated encounters a sufficient amount of the virus, he will become infected and soon be in a position to infect others.

If a vaccinated person comes into contact with the same amount of virus, he has a chance of becoming infected, and if so, may also be in a position to infect others. All things being equal, the chances are much smaller, I think I have read it is something like one in a hundred, but I do not remember the exact estimate. Not sure if these breakthrough cases are all able to pass the infection on to others, but I assume so.

Bottom line is that even though things have changed, they remain somewhat the same, as unvaccinated people still appear to offer the greatest overall risk to others.

Of course, if one does not believe what is stated by a majority of sources, all bets are off. He is free to believe whatever he likes, or dreams up.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Of course, the rate of complications of those who got Covid is also low.
Is there a way to relate one to the other? I do not know, so I am asking.

I have heard of long haul covid. Seems to be a serious issue, if you experience it. But no idea how many suffer from it. Not sure if they are tracked by anyone. This seems to be a possible complication for those who contracted covid but did not die from it.

Complications after getting a covid vaccination? Who tracks these? Is a sore arm similar to one may experience with a flu shot a complication? Or feeling tired/ill for a few days after the shot a complication? I would think that would qualify. Again, not sure anyone is tracking this.

Overall we hear very little of complications resulting from getting a covid vaccination. We seem to hear more about complications for those who declined to be vaccinated, or who got ill before a vaccination became available.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Overall we hear very little of complications resulting from getting a covid vaccination. We seem to hear more about complications for those who declined to be vaccinated, or who got ill before a vaccination became available.
As noted, over and over …

There is only one set of approved information, so if you don’t bother to look past those sources, that’s all you get. Most of us have direct information from friends/family that seems to contradict the “official” word.

Meanwhile, nobody is testing for the “Delta” variant, so it’s just a guess what people are getting or how many people have actually been infected.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
With the appearance of the delta variant, this is even more true than before.

BUT we should keep in mind, that if someone who is not vaccinated encounters a sufficient amount of the virus, he will become infected and soon be in a position to infect others.

If a vaccinated person comes into contact with the same amount of virus, he has a chance of becoming infected, and if so, may also be in a position to infect others. All things being equal, the chances are much smaller, I think I have read it is something like one in a hundred, but I do not remember the exact estimate. Not sure if these breakthrough cases are all able to pass the infection on to others, but I assume so.

Bottom line is that even though things have changed, they remain somewhat the same, as unvaccinated people still appear to offer the greatest overall risk to others.

Of course, if one does not believe what is stated by a majority of sources, all bets are off. He is free to believe whatever he likes, or dreams up.
Wouldnt it be an even lower risk if you isolated yourself and your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.