Which Root rake grapples are the toughest?

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Mine stands up OK, but how do you take it off when the loader hits the floor with the grapple still two inches above the floor?
Would it work to place it on a pallet rather than the floor? The loader parts can then clear the floor (as long as they clear the edge of the pallet).

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Would it work to place it on a pallet rather than the floor? The loader parts can then clear the floor (as long as they clear the edge of the pallet).
That will help with removal and I do that out of necessity, but know that the grapple will need to be at the very edge of the pallet. That still doesn't help with the need to tilt the grapple forward considerably to avoid tearing up the sod and plowing dirt with the loader arms. The thing simply was not made to fit my tractor, the mounting points need to be much higher. I contacted the company and got the usual "nobody else has a problem."

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
This is how I store mine on a pallet. I have another pallet with wheels that I store the grapple (or bucket) on with the forks. So I can wheel it around the barn to save space. Yes you have to tip the SSQA really far forward to connect it but have never had an issue putting it on our off ***note all 4 casters on my cart lock***
PXL_20220713_192321742.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

OldSchool59

Equipment
L6060 HSTC, Rhino Ag TW36 shredder
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
Just be sure that the loader parts aren't below the grapple if you want to remove it standing upright. Mine needs to be tilted forward quite a bit to keep the loader from plowing dirt and that reduces the effective opening considerably. Try it on your tractor before purchase.
Noted! Thank you

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Mine stands up OK, but how do you take it off when the loader hits the floor with the grapple still two inches above the floor? Of course we have two different tractors so my suggestion to check that before purchase is valid.
Mine is closed and standing up I think I have enough room to not hit the loader arms because it hasn't been a problem but now you have me wondering. It is on the tractor now I will have to try taking it off in the garage on the concrete.

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Mine stands up OK, but how do you take it off when the loader hits the floor with the grapple still two inches above the floor? Of course we have two different tractors so my suggestion to check that before purchase is valid.
I looked at mine today and it is sitting up with both the grapple and the loader arms touching the floor. I didn't try to take it off as it meant starting and moving 2 tractors and I was leaving just then. It is on a LA525 on a L2501.

Bill

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
That will help with removal and I do that out of necessity, but know that the grapple will need to be at the very edge of the pallet. That still doesn't help with the need to tilt the grapple forward considerably to avoid tearing up the sod and plowing dirt with the loader arms. The thing simply was not made to fit my tractor, the mounting points need to be much higher. I contacted the company and got the usual "nobody else has a problem."
I don't have the same brand, but I just unlatch it and tilt forward some. Then as I set it down, I tilt forward more and back away at the same time. Hooking up is the same. QA plate is at a roughly 75° angle (relative to the floor). As I curl the QA plate the grapple gets pulled up and in.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I did a search and couldn’t find anything on this but I bet it’s here somewhere .
I have a Kubota l6060 with loaded tires and 600 pds
of wheel weights.
I’ve been searching for a quality Made in the USA root rake grapple. I was pretty well set on the EA wicked 60” but their lead time is 3 months and unfortunately I don’t have time for that.
Also, I am unable to decide on twin clamps vs a single! I would like to stay under 550 lbs .

I’m not interested in the Homestead or Titan!
TIA
Some don't like the lead time or the pay up front policy with Everything Attachments, but few will find fault with the quality and ruggedness of their products. I don't think anyone here knows "which is the toughest" grapple, but if it's tough enough does it matter? However, there's only one company who posts videos of their equipment being abused, shows their equipment failing in R&D tests, shows walk-throughs of their manufacturing facility, and continuously improves their products.

I've bought a grapple, box blade, land leveler (land plane), bolt on cutting edge and 1,020lb of suitcase weights from EA over the past couple of years. If I have a regret it's that I bought the Wicked 60 rather than the Wicked 66 but it's not a big regret and with current prices not something I'm going to "fix".

EA is my first choice for any implement, but if they don't have what I'm looking for I look at other well-regarded companies and stay away from the Chinese ones if at all possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's my grapple dolly. Rolls around very easy on my concrete floor. One could also put on some "foot pads" instead of wheels for sitting on a gravel floor or outdoors.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I purchased the GR-S root grapple from ANBO several years ago for my skidsteer and it seems indestructible. This one is for a 60 hp tractor.

Michigan Man

Equipment
L6060
Apr 18, 2023
I did a search and couldn’t find anything on this but I bet it’s here somewhere .
of wheel weights.
I’ve been searching for a quality Made in the USA root rake grapple. I was pretty well set on the EA wicked 60” but their lead time is 3 months and unfortunately I don’t have time for that.
Also, I am unable to decide on twin clamps vs a single! I would like to stay under 550 lbs .

TIA
I have the EA Wicked 60" and I will tell you it is worth the wait. I used it to pickup and haul a bunch of big rocks for a rock wall and it worked great. I think I really put it to the test. I love mine.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
You might consider CDI Grapples. US made in North Carolina. With your 60 Hp unit the X-treme or Heavy Duty Skid Steer Grapple Rake might be of interest. Four hinge points for the upper half and all hinge points are actual greaseable pins. I just got the 66 inch standard duty unit. I’m pleased with it so far. It’s nearly 500 lbs.

It will sit upright on the floor by itself and the SSQA mount is high enough that I can get my loader to disconnect and connect to it with no trouble. Some folk report some grapples can be hard to connect to if the mounting points are too low.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
of wheel weights.

TIA
Just curious, why not Homestead? They make a model rated for 55-100 hp, I have a lighter weight version and am very impressed with the quality. Thanks.

Popgadget

Equipment
L6060
Mar 11, 2020
PA
of wheel weights.

TIA
I have a 60” Wicked on my L6060. I didn’t like the wait, but it was worth it. One of the big advantages is the lighter weight without sacrificing strength. While I was waiting for mine I used a borrowed Virnig with a double lid. No complaints on the quality, but it was beastly heavy by comparison, seriously reducing what I could lift. It was also a Rock style with the longer lower tines, which was not as good for my use either.
you might want to borrow or buy something to hold you over if you really can’t wait, but I would definitely get the EA.
Almost all negative comments about them are about the lead time and paying up front, and the vast majority of those complaining have never bought an EA attachment.
It is very rare to see a complaint from an actual EA customer about the customer service or the equipment itself. Nobody likes paying up front, but it does lock the price at the time the order is placed…….

Reactions: 1 users

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
You might consider CDI Grapples. US made in North Carolina. With your 60 Hp unit the X-treme or Heavy Duty Skid Steer Grapple Rake might be of interest. Four hinge points for the upper half and all hinge points are actual greaseable pins. I just got the 66 inch standard duty unit. I’m pleased with it so far. It’s nearly 500 lbs.

It will sit upright on the floor by itself and the SSQA mount is high enough that I can get my loader to disconnect and connect to it with no trouble. Some folk report some grapples can be hard to connect to if the mounting points are too low.
I am also recommending CDI. I have a 4 in 1 bucket and fork set from CDI. Both are very well built and Heavy duty. As stated, made in N.C. and engineered in house vs. copying someone else design.

CDI

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What ever brand you get, remember one thing,, if you aint got a bent fork,,,, you aint usin it!

Reactions: 1 users

ForestFriend

Equipment
Kioti RX7320
May 8, 2023
Gaston, OR
I also found this one from Precision mfg
View attachment 100999
@OldSchool59, I'm in the same boat as you: Looking for a root rake grapple and would much rather have an EA in 66" for my 73hp. I called yesterday, too, and same story: 3 month wait. I can't wait that long, as I've got scotch broom growing to the heavens and choking off my young trees. I drove to the local Kubota dealer and they had in stock a Land Pride SGC1572 and wow, was that impressive to see in person. While I'd hands-down prefer an EA Wicked grapple, when I saw this I really saw a great option to the EA. 1/2" plate throughout and AR400 steel. What a beast and looks well made. Their SGC1560 (63") version (784lbs) is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the EA 66", if those few pounds matter to you. The 74" is another hundred pounds (882lbs). I know it's going to have the "Land Pride Tax" and cost a little bit more, but I'll get the price today on it.

By the way, Jenkins Iron and Steel has a grapple Jenkins Iron & Steel Super Duty Split Brush Grapple (jenkinsironandsteel.com) with a clamshell type lid, but is SPLIT like other dual lids--but clamshell style. Had not seen that before. It's heavy, though, 1600lbs. Their smallest is 76".

On Homestead Implements, I actually kind of liked them. Now they're using 450Hardox and looks pretty stout. The only two drawbacks I saw were that the bottom tines/teeth didn't extend a little further, so not aggressive enough for me, at least by appearances. My understanding is that the hinge is a bolt and no zerk I guess. Might be just the right thing. I don't know. It's pretty close to what I wanted except for those couple of things. I kept coming back to the Homestead and they had a shorter wait time. I think LandPride may be just the thing b/c it's looks incredibly strong and is sitting on a pallet about 25 minutes drive from home.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
@OldSchool59, I'm in the same boat as you: Looking for a root rake grapple and would much rather have an EA in 66" for my 73hp. I called yesterday, too, and same story: 3 month wait. I can't wait that long, as I've got scotch broom growing to the heavens and choking off my young trees. I drove to the local Kubota dealer and they had in stock a Land Pride SGC1572 and wow, was that impressive to see in person. While I'd hands-down prefer an EA Wicked grapple, when I saw this I really saw a great option to the EA. 1/2" plate throughout and AR400 steel. What a beast and looks well made. Their SGC1560 (63") version (784lbs) is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the EA 66", if those few pounds matter to you. The 74" is another hundred pounds (882lbs). I know it's going to have the "Land Pride Tax" and cost a little bit more, but I'll get the price today on it.

By the way, Jenkins Iron and Steel has a grapple Jenkins Iron & Steel Super Duty Split Brush Grapple (jenkinsironandsteel.com) with a clamshell type lid, but is SPLIT like other dual lids--but clamshell style. Had not seen that before. It's heavy, though, 1600lbs. Their smallest is 76".

On Homestead Implements, I actually kind of liked them. Now they're using 450Hardox and looks pretty stout. The only two drawbacks I saw were that the bottom tines/teeth didn't extend a little further, so not aggressive enough for me, at least by appearances. My understanding is that the hinge is a bolt and no zerk I guess. Might be just the right thing. I don't know. It's pretty close to what I wanted except for those couple of things. I kept coming back to the Homestead and they had a shorter wait time. I think LandPride may be just the thing b/c it's looks incredibly strong and is sitting on a pallet about 25 minutes drive from home.
FWIW, a pricing sheet I got from one of my local dealers early in 2023 lists the LP SGC 1560 for $7225 and the SGC 1572 for $7781.

ForestFriend

Equipment
Kioti RX7320
May 8, 2023
Gaston, OR
FWIW, a pricing sheet I got from one of my local dealers early in 2023 lists the LP SGC 1560 for $7225 and the SGC 1572 for $7781.
Thanks! Just checked out here, and they're priced at:
SGC1572: $6335
SGC1560: $5780
adding 3rd function: $1300

SGC1060: $4273