Which Root rake grapples are the toughest?

OldSchool59

Equipment
L6060 HSTC, Rhino Ag TW36 shredder
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
I did a search and couldn’t find anything on this but I bet it’s here somewhere .
I have a Kubota l6060 with loaded tires and 600 pds
of wheel weights.
I’ve been searching for a quality Made in the USA root rake grapple. I was pretty well set on the EA wicked 60” but their lead time is 3 months and unfortunately I don’t have time for that.
Also, I am unable to decide on twin clamps vs a single! I would like to stay under 550 lbs .

I’m not interested in the Homestead or Titan!
TIA

Reactions: 1 user

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I have a Land Pride SGC1060 on my LX2610 and i is plenty rugged for my smaller tractor. I think the 15 series would be better for your tractor, but they weight considerably more than 550 lbs.

OldSchool59

Equipment
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
I have a Land Pride SGC1060 on my LX2610 and i is plenty rugged for my smaller tractor. I think the 15 series would be better for your tractor, but they weight considerably more than 550 lbs.
I meant to add LP to my list due to the Fact that they do use some parts from China! They didn’t used to though 🙂

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Finding anything truly 'Made in USA' will be a challenge,as most things are actually 'assembled' in USA, from foreign and domestic parts......
A 'grapple' is just some steel, hoses, fasteners,paint,Zerks and some other things.. but as to where they come from might be hard to find out.

Reactions: 1 users

OldSchool59

Equipment
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
Oh
Finding anything truly 'Made in USA' will be a challenge,as most things are actually 'assembled' in USA, from foreign and domestic parts......
A 'grapple' is just some steel, hoses, fasteners,paint,Zerks and some other things.. but as to where they come from might be hard to find out.
There is a whole lot of truth to this but then again, it is very easy to find tons of the Chinese junk grapples ! 👍🏻

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I have what people refer to as an Origoinal AE Wicked Root Grapple going on close to 10 years now. The one with the really long tines like the pic I got from the internet. Right tool for my jobs for sure. No regrets.

It gets a lot of use and holding up very very well. No complaints. Can't speak on other makes as i do not have any.

1682289277370.png

1682289430445.png

Reactions: 3 users

OldSchool59

Equipment
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
I have what people refer to as an Origoinal AE Wicked Root Grapple going on close to 10 years now. The one with the really long tines like the pic I got from the internet. Right tool for my jobs for sure. No regrets.

It gets a lot of use and holding up very very well. No complaints. Can't speak on other makes as i do not have any.

View attachment 100947

View attachment 100948

For reference , this is the type of root rake I’m in the market for. EA’s are awesome but I need something that is available with a much shorter lead time!
IMG_2181.jpeg

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Edit: just noticed you said "not interested in the Homestead". Ignore the below, but I didn't want to delete it since I did initially post it.

---

I have a Homestead Implements pinnacle grapple I've been happy with. Been great for moving brush, mulch piles (we had a bunch of forrestry mulching done), and mature hardwoods logs from clearing (~8' long beech, oak, hickory, poplar, etc).

Even dug up a 6" dbh tree stump with it about a month ago just to give it a try. Didn't bend/break anything, but wouldn't recommend that as a common usage, mainly due to risk of damaging the loader.

You can find all kinds of arguments of EA vs everything else. It's worth reading those threads, but I've seen a number of happy Homestead Implements, LandPride, and Artillian owners here as well.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Virnig is another brand. They have some of them in stock at Messicks. I bought mine there about a year ago. I don't use it real hard as some do but it is a well made unit.

Bill

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Three months isn't bad! EA has really brought that wait time down. My wait was a hair linger but still 6 weeks faster than they said it would be.
You may be hard pressed to find a RRG made free of slave labor in your time frame. Virnig makes solid stuff. Not sure of the CoO though.
So far as 1 or 2 lids, unless cost or weight is a concern, go with 2. I used a single lid that I borrowed. It was fine. Odd loads tended to shift in the teeth though. Like when grabbing a tree plus a few logs.

OldSchool59

Equipment
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
Three months isn't bad! EA has really brought that wait time down. My wait was a hair linger but still 6 weeks faster than they said it would be.
You may be hard pressed to find a RRG made free of slave labor in your time frame. Virnig makes solid stuff. Not sure of the CoO though.
So far as 1 or 2 lids, unless cost or weight is a concern, go with 2. I used a single lid that I borrowed. It was fine. Odd loads tended to shift in the teeth though. Like when grabbing a tree plus a few logs.
I’m good with cost 👍🏻! I’m considering the Virnig , they look to be stout and every pin has a Zerk! The thing that concerns me with the double grapple is when they are used to rake with. I’m not sure they will fair well with being controlled with 1 hinge point cylinder each! I do like that they grab tapered objects much better than the single lid .

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I’m good with cost 👍🏻! I’m considering the Virnig , they look to be stout and every pin has a Zerk! The thing that concerns me with the double grapple is when they are used to rake with. I’m not sure they will fair well with being controlled with 1 hinge point cylinder each! I do like that they grab tapered objects much better than the single lid .
Not sure I understand what you mean with your concern using them to rake.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I sure like my EA Wicked 72” root grapple. I prefer the twin lids. I’ve run it in the ground (after saplings & roots) with lids open, no problems. Close the lids when full or finished, rip them out. I even let the wife use it (so you know it’s tough).

• Haha

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
What The Evil Twin said. You rake with the lower teeth. You don’t rake with the lids regardless how many there are or who made the grapple. You may get away with raking with the lids once in a while but doing it routinely you’ll be breaking something mechanical or hydraulic eventually.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I’m good with cost 👍🏻! I’m considering the Virnig
Just be sure that the loader parts aren't below the grapple if you want to remove it standing upright. Mine needs to be tilted forward quite a bit to keep the loader from plowing dirt and that reduces the effective opening considerably. Try it on your tractor before purchase.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Just be sure that the loader parts aren't below the grapple if you want to remove it standing upright. Mine needs to be tilted forward quite a bit to keep the loader from plowing dirt and that reduces the effective opening considerably. Try it on your tractor before purchase.
When I take the grapple off it stands up on its own. Usually on a pallet and I have moved it that way with the forks so it is pretty steady standing up. It weighs somewhere over 200lbs and is easy for this 69 yo to move slightly by when putting on and need just a little lining up.

Bill

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Virnig is US made, started out as a couple making things in their garage 30 years ago.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I've been happy with my HLA grapple. But I'm pretty sure they are Made in Canada.

In regards to the Single Vs. Twin, I only have experience with my single, but one disadvantage with my single is that if I go to grab a pile of bucked rounds or short logs usually the longest one gets pinched first and stops the grapple from closing on the rest and they all fall out of the grapple.

So it takes about 200 passes to move a pile of bucked rounds. Maybe you could get 2 in a twin set up, thereby only having to make 100 passes.... :ROFLMAO:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
When I take the grapple off it stands up on its own. Usually on a pallet and I have moved it that way with the forks so it is pretty steady standing up.
Mine stands up OK, but how do you take it off when the loader hits the floor with the grapple still two inches above the floor? Of course we have two different tractors so my suggestion to check that before purchase is valid.