BT600 hydraulic line sizes and problems

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for the answers. I've got to process the info. One of the issues is that I haven't taken the hose off the tractor to actually see what is there. I had been hoping to continue using the tractor until the new hoses come. Guess I was wrong! Thanks again.
This is a matter of personal preference and to a lesser degree cost. The quick coupler on your tractor is almost certainly female pipe like the one in my picture. Your other choice is to purchase a new coupler with an SAE port on it.

Then you have three choices in hose end terminations as shown in the picture. Left to right SAE male boss, male pipe thread, or JIC female swivel. The SAE male boss is a custom made hose - the other two are off the shelf items.

You can screw the pipe thread hose end directly into the female port on an NPT coupler.
You can screw the SAE male boss directly into a SAE coupler.
Or you can use one of the adapters shown on the left to convert the coupler to male JIC and use a hose with a JIC swivel end on it. This is what Kubota typically does using an NPT coupler and JIC adapter,

My personal preference is an SAE coupler because I HATE pipe threads. Then its simply a matter of JIC female swivel hose and adapter or rigid SAE hose. For an unmounted quick coupler the SAE hose is fine but JIC swivel with adapter works better when you need to keep both hose and port ends stationary.

Just pick one.

Dan

20220330_112132[1].jpg

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Just thought I'd update...per the saying, "Nothing to see here." :) It's been over a week and I'm still processing. Nothing ordered yet. I've been using the backhoe to dig up some thorn bushes that are taking over the joint before the weather gets too hot. (I'm a weenie because I don't like to work in the high heat/humidity.) So, because the backhoe is operational, I haven't been in a panic mode to replace. Soon.

For some reason, as I mentioned before, I'm having a hard time visualizing. These pictures will help, for sure, and I thank you. If I could go somewhere to see the actual fittings, I think it would be clear...maybe not! :) Then, too, if I would remove the current hoses, it may be easier. Life is hard. :)

Thanks for all the help and patience.

TG

q240z

Equipment
BX23
Apr 20, 2022
MD
Just thought I'd pop in and share that a hose failed on my BT600 backhoe last year. As others have commented, it was a real bear replacing it and current Kubota OEM replacement hoses are not the narrow gauge ones that came from the factory.

Two weeks later, another backhoe hose failed! I was thinking maybe the machine is telling me to replace them all, but I stupidly ignored the message and had a local hydraulic shop make up a replacement. Kubota quoted $75. The identical Parker hose and fitting assembly was $35 at the local shop.

A month later, another hose failed! So I replaced all of them that run through that tiny little boom pivot knuckle. Even with the slightly larger hoses, they all fit.

Then, two days ago the backhoe supply hose blew out when I was ripping out tree roots to remove a stump. I found this thread while looking into maybe buying a hydraulic hose crimper. Kubota didn't have the hose in stock, but the price was $95. I checked discounthydraulics, and the same hose with shipping was ~$44. But based on previous experience, I went to my local hydraulic shop...and got hit with a bill for $72. It literally took less than 5 minutes for the guy to make the hose. So unless I find a hydraulic hose crimper for cheap and start making my own, I'll be buying from discounthydraulics from now on.

I like the idea of supporting local brick and mortar shops, but I hate getting gouged even more.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Just thought I'd pop in and share that a hose failed on my BT600 backhoe last year. As others have commented, it was a real bear replacing it and current Kubota OEM replacement hoses are not the narrow gauge ones that came from the factory.

Two weeks later, another backhoe hose failed! I was thinking maybe the machine is telling me to replace them all, but I stupidly ignored the message and had a local hydraulic shop make up a replacement. Kubota quoted $75. The identical Parker hose and fitting assembly was $35 at the local shop.

A month later, another hose failed! So I replaced all of them that run through that tiny little boom pivot knuckle. Even with the slightly larger hoses, they all fit.

Then, two days ago the backhoe supply hose blew out when I was ripping out tree roots to remove a stump. I found this thread while looking into maybe buying a hydraulic hose crimper. Kubota didn't have the hose in stock, but the price was $95. I checked discounthydraulics, and the same hose with shipping was ~$44. But based on previous experience, I went to my local hydraulic shop...and got hit with a bill for $72. It literally took less than 5 minutes for the guy to make the hose. So unless I find a hydraulic hose crimper for cheap and start making my own, I'll be buying from discounthydraulics from now on.

I like the idea of supporting local brick and mortar shops, but I hate getting gouged even more.
q240z, so glad to see that someone else owns the same BX23 model with the same BT600 backhoe! Your hose experience certainly resonates. And, yes, changing those BT600 hoses is quite an experience. I've recently looked at the hoses on the loader and see that it would be wise to be pro-active on those. Being out doing something and having a hose fail would not be fun. Doing these a few at a time would make it a bit easier financially. There are a TON of hoses on these machines!

I know that you know about the space in the boom pivot knuckle. Good to know that even with a bit larger, they all fit. That has been one of my big issues and the need to replace some of the current ones. Getting all 6 of those in a larger OD is a killer! I did find some nylon sleeves on ebay that I have purchased and am hoping that with smaller OD and putting the in/out hose pairs together that they will fit nicely and be protected. We'll see once I get the correct hoses.

Which leads me to question...what exact size fittings did you end up buying? Henro and PoTreeBoy have tried to educate me but I haven't ordered because I don't want to buy something that won't fit. So, if you could respond with info, it would be helpful. I know I need the JIC 37 with a 90 degree angle at the control valve. Upper level 90 degree is a longer stem to overlap the lower level hoses.

Crimpers are not cheap and it would seem that once the hoses are renewed, a crimper wouldn't be used too much. At least, that's my logic.

A neighbor recently told me that O'Reilly auto parts can make custom hydraulic hoses. I haven't been yet but may call to see if they have 1/4" ID and the JIC fittings. If you have one of those in your area, it may be worth a look. But, again, all businesses need to make a profit and no one resists this. It's the "gouging," as you say, that is ridiculous. I'm always willing to pay a fair price for a good product but not pay double the price for the same thing that is available somewhere else.

Thanks again for input.

TG

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

If you are lucky enough to find one (I was) a good used hose crimper with dies and pump will start around a grand. Most are close to double that. and often incomplete. I buy Gates M2T hose at $5 per foot and Gates hose ends are anywhere from $5 to $50 each. Generic hose is half that and generic ends are close to a third that price. Hard for someone paying retail prices and shipping for parts to make any hose for $35. You need to buy hose and fittings in bulk to get the price down below what DHH charges for a single hose.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You need to buy hose and fittings in bulk to get the price down below what DHH charges for a single hose.

Dan
Right, and I'm pretty sure DHH sells imported hose and fittings vs Gates or Parker. Plus, they sell enough to make it worthwhile to stock different rated hoses, while the local auto parts place may stock only a higher rated hose which cost more. I would expect DHH to be more efficient at making hoses since that's their specialty, vs the parts store where it's a side-line.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Right, and I'm pretty sure DHH sells imported hose and fittings vs Gates or Parker. Plus, they sell enough to make it worthwhile to stock different rated hoses, while the local auto parts place may stock only a higher rated hose which cost more. I would expect DHH to be more efficient at making hoses since that's their specialty, vs the parts store where it's a side-line.
I buy the "house brand" hose and fittings from DHH. The price I pay is exactly the same as the price DHH charges for those same fittings and hoses as an assembly. All I save by making the hose assembly myself is the $10 per hose assembly charge and shipping. I make dozens of hoses so its significant but for the average guy who neefs 2 or 3 its pretty much noise. If you walked into my shop and asked me to make a hose it would be the same price as DHH. If you wanted me to make 10 which the assembly charge would not be $100 but it would be more than $10.

If I walked into the local Parker store and asked them to make me a 3' x 3/8 3000 PSI hose it would be close to $100. Thats exactly why I purchased a hose crimper.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: (I'm a weenie because I don't like to work in the high heat/humidity.)

No.. you're SMART !!! In '14 I made the mistake of working in the heat and humidity and apparently I took an ambulance ride to ER. Woke up with silver titties and a few puzzled people in whites. Seems I had Heat Stroke..lost 8-10 hours of my life, ZERO recall. Sure happy neighbour figured it out and called 911.

q240z

Equipment
BX23
Apr 20, 2022
MD
Which leads me to question...what exact size fittings did you end up buying?
The local hydraulic shop receipt indicates 4' 8" of Parker 302-4 (1/4", 5800psi hose), Parker 10143-4-4 (male NPT fitting that attaches to the quick release under the seat), and 13943-6-4 (female 90° JIC).

DHH's site uses different part numbers:
R16-04-ASB | 1/4" SAE 100R16 Hydraulic Hose Assembly
Fitting #1: FJX90-04-06 | 3/8" JIC 37° Flare Female Swivel 90° (FJX90-04-06)
Fitting #2: MP-04-04 | 1/4" Male Pipe Thread (NPTF) Rigid (MP-04-04)
Overall Length: 4 feet 8 inches

The hose is Hyraulax brand, so presumably imported. But that doesn't bother me if the quality is roughly the same.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
re: (I'm a weenie because I don't like to work in the high heat/humidity.)

No.. you're SMART !!! In '14 I made the mistake of working in the heat and humidity and apparently I took an ambulance ride to ER. Woke up with silver titties and a few puzzled people in whites. Seems I had Heat Stroke..lost 8-10 hours of my life, ZERO recall. Sure happy neighbour figured it out and called 911.
Wow...what an experience. And, how wonderful that your neighbor knew what to do. It can get pretty hot here in the SE and, during those hot months, I enjoy reading and iced tea...not sweet tea, however. Too many carbs and refined sugar is not good for us. I would love it but have to make decisions for the long haul.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
The local hydraulic shop receipt indicates 4' 8" of Parker 302-4 (1/4", 5800psi hose), Parker 10143-4-4 (male NPT fitting that attaches to the quick release under the seat), and 13943-6-4 (female 90° JIC).

DHH's site uses different part numbers:
R16-04-ASB | 1/4" SAE 100R16 Hydraulic Hose Assembly
Fitting #1: FJX90-04-06 | 3/8" JIC 37° Flare Female Swivel 90° (FJX90-04-06)
Fitting #2: MP-04-04 | 1/4" Male Pipe Thread (NPTF) Rigid (MP-04-04)
Overall Length: 4 feet 8 inches

The hose is Hyraulax brand, so presumably imported. But that doesn't bother me if the quality is roughly the same.
OK, q240z, thanks for posting. I just need to go ahead and take the plunge. The hose under the seat of this tractor that is from the pump does not have a 90 degree fitting. The 90 degrees only go to the control valve on this tractor. This hose is about 22" long and would have a JIC female swivel on one and the NPTF on the other to fit into the quick connect. That hose, then, either goes to the backhoe when I want to use it or to back to the fluid return port when I want to use the mower. TheOldHokie and PoTreeBoy and now you, have tried to educate me on how to identify the fittings but I tell you, it's a jungle. Up to now, I never thought I was a slow learner. Goes to show that a person can get haughty without even knowing it. :) Thanks again. I'll keep working at it.

TG

Last edited:

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
OK, q240z, thanks for posting. I just need to go ahead and take the plunge. The hose under the seat of this tractor that is from the pump does not have a 90 degree fitting. The 90 degrees only go to the control valve on this tractor. This hose is about 22" long and would have a JIC female swivel on one and the NPTF on the other to fit into the quick connect. That hose, then, either goes to the backhoe when I want to use it or to back to the fluid return port when I want to use the mower. TheOldHokie and PoTreeBoy and now you, have tried to educate me on how to identify the fittings but I tell you, it's a jungle. Up to now, I never thought I was a slow learner. Goes to show that a person can get haughty without even knowing it. :) Thanks again. I'll keep working at it.

TG
OK...surprise, surprise...I made an error! Hold the presses. :) Yes, the longer hose referenced above does have a 90 degree female swivel JIC fitting. It has to go to the control valve and then to the backhoe. What was I thinking? Well, we can't delve into all of that. I have ordered two hoses from DHH. We'll see. If nothing else, I can use them for plant hangars. :) Thanks again for all the help.

TG

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
OK...surprise, surprise...I made an error! Hold the presses. :) Yes, the longer hose referenced above does have a 90 degree female swivel JIC fitting. It has to go to the control valve and then to the backhoe. What was I thinking? Well, we can't delve into all of that. I have ordered two hoses from DHH. We'll see. If nothing else, I can use them for plant hangars. :) Thanks again for all the help.

TG
A 90 degree JIC elbow fixes that oversight.

Dan

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
A 90 degree JIC elbow fixes that oversight.

Dan
I wasn't clear with the discovery of my error. I discovered PRIOR to ordering, thank Goodness. I believe I will have the right hoses and fittings. Of course....as stated, I have made mistakes before. :) Thanks for letting me know that things can always be adapted.

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I come bearing wonderful news...success has found me! I ordered hoses from DHH and they arrived more quickly than I could get to them! But, I have replaced one of them and it fits perfectly. With the nylon sleeves I ordered on ebay, they are well protected and I am protected from any high pressure fluid leak. I send my thanks to TheOldHokie, PoTreeBoy and q240z for the wonderful help. Now that I see the hoses, I have a better understanding of what is needed.

Next step is to begin getting replacements for all the hoses. I doubt that very many of these, especially on the loader, have been changed. In looking at this little "jewel," there are tons of hoses! Who knew? Well, I know you did. :)

Success is a wonderful thing but I won't get haughty. Certainly before too long, I'll need to get clarification on something else that, at this point in time, I do not even know exists on this tractor. Life is a wonderful thing. And, it was YOU who helped me find the answers. Couldn't have done it without you.

TG

By the way, there are quite a few nylon sleeve listings on ebay. I bought these and am very pleased with them. Plus, the pricing was good. There are other sizes and quantities, of course.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I come bearing wonderful news...success has found me! I ordered hoses from DHH and they arrived more quickly than I could get to them! But, I have replaced one of them and it fits perfectly. With the nylon sleeves I ordered on ebay, they are well protected and I am protected from any high pressure fluid leak. I send my thanks to TheOldHokie, PoTreeBoy and q240z for the wonderful help. Now that I see the hoses, I have a better understanding of what is needed.

Next step is to begin getting replacements for all the hoses. I doubt that very many of these, especially on the loader, have been changed. In looking at this little "jewel," there are tons of hoses! Who knew? Well, I know you did. :)

Success is a wonderful thing but I won't get haughty. Certainly before too long, I'll need to get clarification on something else that, at this point in time, I do not even know exists on this tractor. Life is a wonderful thing. And, it was YOU who helped me find the answers. Couldn't have done it without you.

TG

By the way, there are quite a few nylon sleeve listings on ebay. I bought these and am very pleased with them. Plus, the pricing was good. There are other sizes and quantities, of course.

Congrats!!! You are now a certified guru.

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

TG

Congrats. There are 30-something hydraulic hoses on there, I think. Fortunately, they last pretty well.

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
I just read this entire thread as I am diving into the BT600 on my BX22. I appreciate all the teaching, support, and encouragement here.

I acquired it over a year ago, after it had been sitting out under some trees for about 4 years. I got the fuel tank drained, new fuel filters installed, new battery, new fan (and CV joint boots while I had the drive shaft undone) and it started! I replaced all the hoses on the loader and those for the steering as they were dry and cracked. The backhoe hoses looked to be in better shape, BUT - once it was running the first time I tried to use the backhoe it blew a hose. It sat for quite a few months while we were out in California helping to care for a grandchild.

Now that I am back I dove back into it. The main boom cylinder pivot was dry and crusted to the pin, which likely didn't help the weak hose. I've attached photos of my process so far. You'll see I had to be creative to get that pin/cylinder broken free. I numbered the hoses and made a template of the order that they had laid them in for that tight bundle going through the lower channel. I know I have some hefty cable ties like they used to pack them down tightly.

I'll be ordering hoses from DHH next.

I have one question at this time:

"The external hoses at the top of the boom that arch over to the dipper stick:
75598-64550 and 75598-64560 currently have metal spring protectors on the length of them.
Unless I am just missing where they have them listed it appears that DHH seems to offer just spiral plastic or nylon protectors.
Would that be adequate? Or should I look further (Messick, etc.) ?"

TIA
Pat

BT600_02.jpg

BT600_03.jpg

BT600_05.jpg

BT600_06.jpg

BT600_08.jpg

BT600_09.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I just read this entire thread as I am diving into the BT600 on my BX22. I appreciate all the teaching, support, and encouragement here.

I acquired it over a year ago, after it had been sitting out under some trees for about 4 years. I got the fuel tank drained, new fuel filters installed, new battery, new fan (and CV joint boots while I had the drive shaft undone) and it started! I replaced all the hoses on the loader and those for the steering as they were dry and cracked. The backhoe hoses looked to be in better shape, BUT - once it was running the first time I tried to use the backhoe it blew a hose. It sat for quite a few months while we were out in California helping to care for a grandchild.

Now that I am back I dove back into it. The main boom cylinder pivot was dry and crusted to the pin, which likely didn't help the weak hose. I've attached photos of my process so far. You'll see I had to be creative to get that pin/cylinder broken free. I numbered the hoses and made a template of the order that they had laid them in for that tight bundle going through the lower channel. I know I have some hefty cable ties like they used to pack them down tightly.

I'll be ordering hoses from DHH next.

I have one question at this time:

"The external hoses at the top of the boom that arch over to the dipper stick:
75598-64550 and 75598-64560 currently have metal spring protectors on the length of them.
Unless I am just missing where they have them listed it appears that DHH seems to offer just spiral plastic or nylon protectors.
Would that be adequate? Or should I look further (Messick, etc.) ?"

TIA
Pat

View attachment 80119

View attachment 80120

View attachment 80121

View attachment 80122

View attachment 80123

View attachment 80124
Spiral wire hose guard at DHH. It does not come cheap.

Dan