TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks Dan.
I guess if digging deep those are the likeliest to get torn up. Might be worth the extra.
Its pretty common on excavating equipment. Typically used on the exposed sections of hoses not the entire length. Last time I was in the Parker store they were making three new hoses for some sort of big machine. Hoses were about 1" x 15 plus feet with wire guard on the ends. I shudder at the thought of what they cost.....

Dan

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
And thus I am glad my 'toys' are smaller these days. Parts costs are usually less!
Friend around the corner heard me beating out the frozen pins and came over to see what was happening. He has a BX25 with the BT601. They made a few changes on the newer backhoe.

Although I'm retired I am called in to do crane-assisted hazard tree removals with a fellow I did tree work with 38 years ago. He not only pays me emeritus wage rate, but is grateful I am wiling to work the nasty trees, so I have access to his big Deere tractors, large trucks, and stump grinder if needed.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I just read this entire thread as I am diving into the BT600 on my BX22. I appreciate all the teaching, support, and encouragement here.

I acquired it over a year ago, after it had been sitting out under some trees for about 4 years. I got the fuel tank drained, new fuel filters installed, new battery, new fan (and CV joint boots while I had the drive shaft undone) and it started! I replaced all the hoses on the loader and those for the steering as they were dry and cracked. The backhoe hoses looked to be in better shape, BUT - once it was running the first time I tried to use the backhoe it blew a hose. It sat for quite a few months while we were out in California helping to care for a grandchild.

Now that I am back I dove back into it. The main boom cylinder pivot was dry and crusted to the pin, which likely didn't help the weak hose. I've attached photos of my process so far. You'll see I had to be creative to get that pin/cylinder broken free. I numbered the hoses and made a template of the order that they had laid them in for that tight bundle going through the lower channel. I know I have some hefty cable ties like they used to pack them down tightly.

I'll be ordering hoses from DHH next.

I have one question at this time:

"The external hoses at the top of the boom that arch over to the dipper stick:
75598-64550 and 75598-64560 currently have metal spring protectors on the length of them.
Unless I am just missing where they have them listed it appears that DHH seems to offer just spiral plastic or nylon protectors.
Would that be adequate? Or should I look further (Messick, etc.) ?"

TIA
Pat

View attachment 80119

View attachment 80120

View attachment 80121

View attachment 80122

View attachment 80123

View attachment 80124
Being the PoTreeBoy, I think I reused one of mine, maybe both. Seems like one of the hoses came from Kubota with the spring already on it.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I would agree with PoTreeBoy in re-using the current protection if it is not damaged. I haven't replaced that particular hose YET but have given that set up the eyeball. 20' of that stuff would be more than sufficient. Of course, the other thought is, if you're going to do something, do it right the first time. :)

You've done a remarkable job in dismantling that thing. If you need the nylon protectors, look on ebay. CHEEP! And...nice. :)

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
An additional thing that is helpful to me...color coding. Fortunately, two things helped me. The WSM has a diagram and color coding of the BT600 hoses AND, the hoses had the color coded tape on them also.

Now, because I am replacing these hoses, I wanted to color code them again but the tape itself was not available...at least that I could find. Even at the retail store where I purchased one hose said they didn't know of any. So, I was able to find twist ties with all the colors needed for these hoses. For me, that was perfect. You may not need this but I wanted to pass it on...life is easier when things are marked. The ties are 8" long and have 6 colors of 20 ea. for $6.79.

TG

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
An additional thing that is helpful to me...color coding. Fortunately, two things helped me. The WSM has a diagram and color coding of the BT600 hoses AND, the hoses had the color coded tape on them also.

Now, because I am replacing these hoses, I wanted to color code them again but the tape itself was not available...at least that I could find. Even at the retail store where I purchased one hose said they didn't know of any. So, I was able to find twist ties with all the colors needed for these hoses. For me, that was perfect. You may not need this but I wanted to pass it on...life is easier when things are marked. The ties are 8" long and have 6 colors of 20 ea. for $6.79.

TG
Graduation day for Tractor Gal! Now you're dispensing advice. We knew it would happen!

On your second post, you said, "Diesel right now seems quite inexpensive so that was another . . ." Hope you stocked up. Now look what you've done!

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Graduation day for Tractor Gal! Now you're dispensing advice. We knew it would happen!

On your second post, you said, "Diesel right now seems quite inexpensive so that was another . . ." Hope you stocked up. Now look what you've done!
A word of caution...I did not graduate summa cum laude so take my advice with the proverbial "grain." :) My intentions are pure but we know where good intentions are headed.

Back "in the day," diesel was inexpensive! About the time I bought this tractor, I found 10 ea 5 gallon diesel cans for $30 on craigslist. Plus, off road diesel was $1.76/gallon, if I recall. And, yes, they are all full. Having 50 gallons isn't much but for my tinkering, it'll go a long distance. I will be using this little dream to mow so that's another draw down of the fuel but since it's a 60" mid mount, it is a far better cry than the 38" green machine I was using.

Reactions: 1 user

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Had a busy day yesterday which included re-nesting a baby red-shouldered hawk 55 feet up a white oak, about an hour away. The two still in the nest were very nervous, backing so far away from me that I feared they too would fall out of the nest. But when I started pulling the bag up which contained their brother his complaining cries seemed to tell them I was 'one of them' and they just got curious and moved closer to see who was coming.

I'm off soon for another busy morning, so won't get back to it until this afternoon.

Tractor Girl: I've been learning a lot reading this thread. I numbered each end with a Sharpie as I disassembled, but already I see that hydraulic fluid is erasing them. I'll need to color code. Thanks for the tip on the twist ties.

PoTreeBoy: With a 'nick' that has 'Tree' in it, are you an arborist?
I have cordura chafe sleeve because I have done some splicing of rope and slings to do tree work.
The 1" Yalex Whoopie Slings for the Port-A-Wrap gets chafe sleeve on the eye.

Last evening my friend David, with whom I still do occasional crane work, called to see if I could climb for a crane job on the 31st. When I mentioned working on the backhoe he said he has a local fellow who makes hoses for him. He recently got two JIC 1/4" hoses for his bucket truck (22" and 30") and they were about $20 to $22 each. He's about 2 miles from me, so I'll take my list of lengths and ends and see what he'll quote.

IMG_7829.jpg

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Had a busy day yesterday which included re-nesting a baby red-shouldered hawk 55 feet up a white oak, about an hour away. The two still in the nest were very nervous, backing so far away from me that I feared they too would fall out of the nest. But when I started pulling the bag up which contained their brother his complaining cries seemed to tell them I was 'one of them' and they just got curious and moved closer to see who was coming.

I'm off soon for another busy morning, so won't get back to it until this afternoon.

Tractor Girl: I've been learning a lot reading this thread. I numbered each end with a Sharpie as I disassembled, but already I see that hydraulic fluid is erasing them. I'll need to color code. Thanks for the tip on the twist ties.

PoTreeBoy: With a 'nick' that has 'Tree' in it, are you an arborist?
I have cordura chafe sleeve because I have done some splicing of rope and slings to do tree work.
The 1" Yalex Whoopie Slings for the Port-A-Wrap gets chafe sleeve on the eye.

Last evening my friend David, with whom I still do occasional crane work, called to see if I could climb for a crane job on the 31st. When I mentioned working on the backhoe he said he has a local fellow who makes hoses for him. He recently got two JIC 1/4" hoses for his bucket truck (22" and 30") and they were about $20 to $22 each. He's about 2 miles from me, so I'll take my list of lengths and ends and see what he'll quote.

View attachment 80238
That's quite a line-up there!

Arborist? No, I tell my friends my idea of a light pruning is a smaller chainsaw.

I consider myself a small-time tree farm hobbyist. I have a few acres of north Mississippi 'hill country' I like to piddle with. Here's one of my projects
BW0825181701.jpg

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
"I'll need to color code. Thanks for the tip on the twist ties."

Pgwisn, If you are interested in the zip ties, use this to search on ebay: 8" zip ties, 120 pcs nylon cable ties, 6 multi-colors. There are offers available for differing quantities, etc. My thinking, is that it will take 4 ties per hose...one at each end of the hose and one at each connection. I haven't done it yet but it seems it would work. After getting the tie fastened tightly, I'll just cut off the excess. After thinking it through, I bought another pack! A person can't have too many zip ties. :)

TG

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
"I'll need to color code. Thanks for the tip on the twist ties."

Pgwisn, If you are interested in the zip ties, use this to search on ebay: 8" zip ties, 120 pcs nylon cable ties, 6 multi-colors. There are offers available for differing quantities, etc. My thinking, is that it will take 4 ties per hose...one at each end of the hose and one at each connection. I haven't done it yet but it seems it would work. After getting the tie fastened tightly, I'll just cut off the excess. After thinking it through, I bought another pack! A person can't have too many zip ties. :)

TG
I found one with 50 pieces of each of ten colors - with good reviews.

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
This view shows the hose fittings on the upper side of the boom cylinder. I realize that I have the fittings and the metal tubing:

Item 030
Part #: 75596-52060
"ASSY TUBE HYDRAULIC"

on the underside.

Is this a major mistake?
Should I take it out and turn it 180 degrees?

Hose_Routing_BT600.png

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I see the diagram, pgwisn, but I'm not sure of your question. Best that I am recalling, the hoses
on my BT600 are attaching just as the diagram is showing. Are you able to re-connect with the same orientation prior to dismantling...or, maybe like I do so often, by the time I am re-assembling, I've forgotten what I thought I never would! (Hate to have to admit that...but facts can't be denied.) You've referenced hose part #030 which is at the control valve which goes to the boom cylinder fitting which should be facing "upward" toward the top of the cyclinder, just as the diagram shows.

I'd love to help if I can. Provide more info and I'll try.

TG

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
I reassembled with the fittings toward the bucket, as otherwise the pipe connected to the fitting nearest the main pivot point hits the boom when you raise and lower it. Once I top up the hydraulic fluid I'll see how it goes !?!

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
Thanks again for the help. Another question:

What hydraulic oil/fluid is everyone using?
I see the Kubota Super UDT2 is $146.07 at the local dealer.
I also see where some folks use Sten Shield 770-736, which I can get for $117.

Are there other hydraulic oils you'd recommend?

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I reassembled with the fittings toward the bucket, as otherwise the pipe connected to the fitting nearest the main pivot point hits the boom when you raise and lower it. Once I top up the hydraulic fluid I'll see how it goes !?!
Are you talking about the boom cylinder or the dipperstick cylinder?

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC

There has been quite a discussion about the kind of hydraulic fluid. What size of Supter UDT2
is $146.07? When I bought hoses at the dealer in March 2022 , I purchased a 2 1/2
gallon of Super UDT2 for about $69 or so. When I first got the tractor (Nov 2020) and was changing all the fluids, it was $61. for the same size so in today's world, that's not too bad.

The consensus seems to be that the Kubota brand fluids win the discussion. Main reason is that
the fluids don't have to be changed too often (depending on use, of course) and some say that
they are formulated for these engines. I can't speak to the technical aspects but I chose to go
with Kubota JUST IN CASE there really is a difference! Is P T Barnum alive and well with us? I don't know but I'm not one to gamble with this particular item.

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Another thought about your observation that the boom cylinder is hitting the boom. Henro reminded me that when I removed the boom cylinder to be sure to note the orientation because it will only fit one way. Perhaps that's creating the issue you're having?

TG

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

I'd use what the owner's manual calls for. Your tractor may call for UDT. Super UDT2 is the latest version. There have been plenty of reports of substandard operation with other fluids in HST tractors. Is $30 potential savings worth the risk?