What do you use for a welder?

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Get some half-spheres and cut a square hole for some CREE LED emitters... there's your eyes. Some strap stock tacked together for the teeth lines would do it.

Not sure how you'd smoothly transition from Bender's face to a newly restored Orange Kubota... but, HEY! ITS A TRACTOR and it sure LOOKS like Bender!

:)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - -

You inspired me to get 220v out in the garage.

Putting a 60 amp subpanel out there. 125amp-12 slot box. Box is placed and wire on hand.

Would have loved an 100A sub, but the wire would have been a killer.

Will do the welder, back-feed for generator, and some other circuits around the garage. (maybe a 220v air compressor?)

Route for the wire to the cellar is a challenge, but nothing LONG SDS bits won't accomplish - unfortunately, found my "bit" was too short!!:eek:

I always thought 12" was enough....:p

My wife just laughed at the whole thing!:p

Anyway - screwed up my day, but I'll get a 16" Harbor Freight bit tomorrow!

Attachments

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just ran into a similar thing trying to run a smallish wire through slump block. Never realized till that moment that all my long bits were monstrously large for a little hole to feed a motion sensitive LED light. Generally the small bits have been just for anchors and such. But take a look on Amazon. They've got long small Bosh SDS+ bits for surprisingly cheap. I bought several in a range of sizes, don't think I'll ever have that problem again.

Your wife laughing at you about 12" not being enough, well, that's a whole different issue...

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Homey 'Po has SDS Bosch bits for very reasonable $$.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - -

You inspired me to get 220v out in the garage.

Putting a 60 amp subpanel out there. 125amp-12 slot box. Box is placed and wire on hand.

Would have loved an 100A sub, but the wire would have been a killer.

Will do the welder, back-feed for generator, and some other circuits around the garage. (maybe a 220v air compressor?)

Route for the wire to the cellar is a challenge, but nothing LONG SDS bits won't accomplish - unfortunately, found my "bit" was too short!!:eek:

I always thought 12" was enough....:p

My wife just laughed at the whole thing!:p

Anyway - screwed up my day, but I'll get a 16" Harbor Freight bit tomorrow!
Glad your getting it done :D You will notice a big difference with how your welder works with 220 feeding it :D

Just had a discussion a few weeks ago with my son about his garage. He and his wife bought the place last year and the detached garage didn't have power. He's getting a second meter installed to power it. Pointed out to him to go bigger on the power and panel he thinks he needs out there. This way if he needs to add something later it's not a major undertaking. Just slap in another breaker and go :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well....made the 40 mile trip to HF in terrible weather - snow, wind, whiteouts, drifts.

They didn't have the 16" 3-pack for $22.99 - sold out!:mad:

While pissed, remembered you guys saying Bosch bits were reasonable, and had state-of-mind to go to Lowes across the road, and grabbed an 18" Bosch 1/4" for $15. With that, could keep trudging on....:cool:

Should have picked up the HF $10 6" set though.......

Now to sleeve the wall penetration with conduit, and pull/push some 6/3 romex wire. I don't think I'm running any of that in conduit, except for the wall.

Since the 220 plugs (40A and 30A) will be right next to the subpanel, probably run #8 THHN in conduit for both.

Attachments

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Doesn't help now, but for reference, these are the bits I bought recently.

1/4" Bosch and 3/8" Bosch.

I really like the HCFC bits that also cut through rebar, because apparently I have a real knack for hitting the only piece of 1/2" rebar in a 12" span. However, you can save about $3-4 per bit by getting the cheaper HC bits. I've also bought the smaller sets of ~6" bits to cover the range needed for various anchors small to large, and have bought some larger long bits for things like 3/4" PVC or conduit piercing through block walls. All in all, looking around at Amazon seems to save me money most of the time, but you have to watch it as some stuff can be cheaper through HD/Lowes.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well, we're getting there.

Wire run one panel to other. No connections yet.

Started with 40A welder plug on #8 THHN. Lincoln 210MP cord reaches well, and tucked into corner, will be good to plug generator into if back-feeding. Will also keep generator outdoors, so we don't have any CO poisoning concerns.

Will also do a 30A dryer outlet circuit on #10 THHN for an air compressor, iff needed.

Probably a couple 20A 120v circuits mounted nearby on #12 THHN for other power tools - one might go to near the toolbox.

So - a 40A 220v, a 30A 220v, and 2-20A 120v circuits will do wonders!:D

Advantage of being 6'4" - outlets on the bottom of the trusses are reachable for me, but still out of the way.;)

Oh, the Scottish Highland cross is tonight's supper - Sirloin Steaks medium rare!:)

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I think my next project is gonna be a ripper bar. Got one on the box blade, but in sod the box tends fill up.

Got a bunch of rotten stumps that need to be plucked, and old roots that need to be pulled :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Will do :D And yes, I was planning it as a three point hitch attachment :D Still putting together the particulars. Probably gonna order the rippers. Don't have a torch or plasma cutter at the house, or else I would just make some. :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
When i made a ripper tooth for a backhoe, i cut three plates out of 1/4" and laminated them together. The center one was larger, then used a high strength rod to weld other plates to it. Three layers made a 3/4" tooth that was pretty tough. Hard rod made for tough grinding, but it held an edge quite well.
Tried my best to bend it and couldnt.

socapots

Equipment
bx2360, Landpride box blade, FEL.
Nov 7, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Self taught on a miller dvi.
Should have bought a220v fit off the bat. But didn't have 220 in the garage i was in at the time.
The dvi let's me go between both 110 and 220 by just changing the plug.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well Daren, your kitchen project has given me new motivation to finish a few projects here.

Was ill with a flu-type bug for a month. Knocked the snot out of me, and I rarely get a cold.

Haven't gotten to much since the driveway was done.

We're getting back into the groove, finally.

This is the sub, but the connection hasn't been made back to the main. Maybe tomorrow.

There are 50A welder outlet next to garage door, another 30A dryer outlet on the right side, which might be a 230v air compressor, then 20A 120v outlets both sides.

There may be one more 120v-20A circuit for the garage doors, but that can be added later.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Rcw, glad your feeling better :) I'm like you. I very rarely get sick. But when I do, it knocks me down for a bit.