What do you use for a welder?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My shop has a double 40 breaker. Never tripped it. Ever.
Use it for hoist, arc welder, mig welder and plasma cutter. Only one at a time of course.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
My father calls the D-17 a "Rolling weld on wheels". Most of the welds were done with a 110v Mig flux welder or a 220V Dayton stick welder from the Jurassic Age. It works fine.

Pro welders seem to turn their noses up at the inexpensive Mig (flux or gas) units. All the usual reasons. After having seen a pro welder use one to do 1" thick steel and get very decent results (a lot of time and a lot of passes, and a lot of beveling!) even super thick stuff can be done with them if you have the patience for it. So, welding is a kind of "you like what works for you" sort of a thing.

My grandfather used to use a forge, hammer and weld everything the ol' blacksmith way. The Dayton stick welder was his old unit and he used that when he felt like doing that 'new fangled' kind of welding.

I now have a Clarke 130EN Mig unit, a resurrected Chiry Plasma Cutter and a Horrible Freight DC Tig rig. All work, all have their limits. Just built a rack to go over the top of my welding cart and add my metal working toolbox to the top of the cart. Works great but need new casters on the front to handle the extra weight... ugh.

Favorite welder: Jody ( http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ )

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
... stuff can be done ... if you have the patience for it. So, welding is a kind of "you like what works for you" sort of a thing.

Favorite welder: Jody ( http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ )
Yep, he b d bes'! I've learned an amazing amount from him (hush, skeets!). Best advice I've gotten from him: "pads". (Really jacked up my elec. bill!) :eek:

Also picked up a good tip from Tooljunkie:
"If you cant weld good,weld lots" :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Fixed the front end on the tractor today. Walked out a few weeks ago, and noticed that it didn't look right :confused:

Started looking at it, and realized the weight holder on the front was ripping.

Ground the split and welded it up.

Then found a piece of angle iron, and welded it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Fixed the front end on the tractor today...
Nice, DT! I think I'll invite you over one weekend and "let" you do some welding on mine. You could even bring ONE of your canine companions. I particularly like the "horns" on your front end... almost makes me think about taking off the FEL. :eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Nice, DT! I think I'll invite you over one weekend and "let" you do some welding on mine. You could even bring ONE of your canine companions. I particularly like the "horns" on your front end... almost makes me think about taking off the FEL. :eek:
Horns would come off if I had a fel ;) when ever I can get the 220 run, I'm planning on pulling off that whole front piece and making a proper push bumper for the front. That's my plan for the my first project with the arc welder :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
WOOHOO!!!!!! Finally got some horsepower out in the garage :D:D:D

Got the 50amp breaker installed in the garage. :D:D

The old Power Kraft stick welder lives!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457280419.919318.jpg

Now to run to tractor supply for some welding rods and try her out :D

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just got done trying her out. Need to update the 40 year old rod holder and ground clamp. But other then that, I'm really happy with the outcome considering it hasn't been used in six years.

She is louder then what I'm used too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
WOOHOO!!!!!!
Got the 60amp breaker installed in the garage. :D:D
Woo Hoo is right!!

Been looking at running a sub-panel in my garage, too.

Of course, seems like everything is a mile a away, even though the garage is attached!!:(

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Woo Hoo is right!!

Been looking at running a sub-panel in my garage, too.

Of course, seems like everything is a mile a away, even though the garage is attached!!:(

I know it. Nice thing is the sub panel isn't too expensive. And a 50amp breaker will run ya about $13 bucks.

It's the bloody wire that will eat you alive!!!!

Cost me 90$ for a fifty foot roll of 8/3 with ground in all weather, plus the breaker. Only needed fifteen feet of wire, but that was the smallest roll of it I could find. Guess if I get around to hooking up a good sized compressor, I'll have the wire for it :)

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Just got done trying her out. Need to update the 40 year old rod holder and ground clamp. But other then that, I'm really happy with the outcome considering it hasn't been used in six years.

She is louder then what I'm used too.

Glad this thread popped up. I purchased a little Hobart Handler 190 and a large spool of wire and good size bottle of gas last summer and haven't looked at it since. Not sure I can still weld.

Your inspiring me to give it a try. :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Clay45, if you have a welder, gas and wire all you need is a hood and gloves.

Just get you a piece of scrap iron and turn it on and open the gas valve. Then adjust so you have about 15# (I think) on your Argon/CO2 and see if you can make your welder sound like eggs frying. Once you get it adjusted you just have to keep playing.....

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Clay45, if you have a welder, gas and wire all you need is a hood and gloves.

Just get you a piece of scrap iron and turn it on and open the gas valve. Then adjust so you have about 15# (I think) on your Argon/CO2 and see if you can make your welder sound like eggs frying. Once you get it adjusted you just have to keep playing.....
Should have mentioned that I had a Handler 187 a number of years back and piddled with aluminum and then built a small 2 wheel utility trailer. Then I sold it.

I did rig up the new HH190 and made sure it works but have yet to weld any sort of project or repair. I need to spend some time with it before it gets to hot to be in the barn. :D

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I weld as a hobby and buy and restore welders to sell and keep for my man cave. I have a Lincoln MP210 and really like it, very smooth stick and mig arc. I've restored a 1966 Lincoln SA200 engine drive. The AC/DC shop stick welder I have now is a Miller Dialarc 250 but I've had the old Classic Lincoln Idealarc 250 and those are great also. For you that are looking for a good AC/DC shop welder I would suggest watching Craigslist, local for sale adds, and "Trader" type publications for the Miller or Lincoln 250 models. Chances are they have many years of service left in them and will be more welder than you will ever need.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457359436.249899.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457359453.004921.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Saxman, I have a Miller AEAD-200LE. It's a welder generator with elec start. I've used it for over 15 years, and I bought it used. Keep in the back of one of me trucks for farm repairs. Sure is nice to have a portable welder that fires right off and welds NICE.

I use 6010++++ rod for welding rusty pipe/sucker rod fence. Fast freeze and works excellent on rust.

I've got a 160 Amp HUTH wire welder in my shop. It was designed for muffler shops. Had a flex head when I got it. Use it 98% of the time.

I've got an old "Buzz Box" that has copper windings in it. It has become a storage shelf for old work gloves!! Mostly just takes space.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
Sounds like your fixed D2, those Millers are nice machines. They are easy to get in and out of a pickup. My SA is not so easy but that flat head 4 cyl purring through the straight pipe is really sweet, makes it worth the effort! 6010 is the rod for rusty metal, I had an old welder tell me you could strike an arc on a dirt floor with one!

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Started on the bumper for the bota yesterday :D still getting used to the stick welder. This one runs a little cooler then dads tombstone. Finally got myself steady with it.

Here's what I've gotten done so far.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457482162.398283.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457482183.522558.jpg

Gonna weigh it before adding the sand. Might have enough counter weight with out it

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Was by a friends place a while back, had a prehistoric welder in the corner of his garage, trying to talk him out of it. He doesent have 220 in his garage, so maybe theres hope.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I like prehistoric welders, get some details and let us know. Some of those old machines were really styled nicely, art-deco especially the old Hobarts. Back when companies made great products here in the U.S. And tried to set them self apart from others, no cookie cutter models

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250