What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
That does sound crazy. Was taught in A&P school that at least two or three threads need to come through the nut for proper torque. Who's right?
Paging runs with scissors!
Common sense says who ever taught you that was wrong.........think about it.
Really think the threads hanging out and don't have any contact with a "female" thread have anything to do with stretching?

Last edited:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I cheated a bit today and used the grapple for the heavy lifting and the splitter. I made a decent dent in the pile though. 🥃
I had a few big pieces like that this spring. I considered trying to get onto the splitter, but then just got the sledge and wedge. They were straight grained so split remarkable easy. I only did a few at a time as not to pull a muscle, and just split them enough so I could get them on the splitter by hand.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Common sense says who ever taught you that was wrong.........think about it.
Really think the threads hanging out and don't have any contact with a "female" thread have anything to do with stretching?
Those threads hanging out help the strength of a bolted joint by reducing the stress concentration factors in the bolt and nut. Those are due to the first couple of threads on the bolt not being 100% full good threads so by getting the bolt to stick out then there is better thread contact through the entire nut.

that is what @lynnmor was showing in his post above

This has just become the industry standard and is taught extensively.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I had a few big pieces like that this spring. I considered trying to get onto the splitter, but then just got the sledge and wedge. They were straight grained so split remarkable easy. I only did a few at a time as not to pull a muscle, and just split them enough so I could get them on the splitter by hand.
My preference is using a maul too. Personally I don’t like using logs that big for firewood, but it was a tree in a place I could not get equipment too easily, so I chunked it up and hauled out with the grapple and made a pile. It was big enough pile not much fun to wrestle em out to split, so I cheated 🙊. I don’t want it to go to waste either…it’s a shame to use that type of wood for firewood. My splitter can be set up to split vertically, but for big pieces that seems like more work to wrestle them in under the wedge. The grapple really helped to set up up on the table top then pretty easy to roll onto the splitter.

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
We've been contemplating getting out of the layer hen habit for a while now. Finally re-homed the last of the hens to my daughter's coop Saturday and have been tearing out the chicken pen.

Combination of chain link and page wire, SEVERELY overgrown with wild rose, wild raspberries, goldenrod and alder sprouts. Managed to salvage about 2/3 of the chain link which will be used to expand the daughter's pen, the rest I just hooked onto with a chain and ripped out. Pulled the posts and mowed the weeds/brush, now I'm down to cleaning up my mess, lugging off rotten cedar posts and mangled wire and such.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Those threads hanging out help the strength of a bolted joint by reducing the stress concentration factors in the bolt and nut. Those are due to the first couple of threads on the bolt not being 100% full good threads so by getting the bolt to stick out then there is better thread contact through the entire nut.

that is what @lynnmor was showing in his post above

This has just become the industry standard and is taught extensively.

Isn't that like saying if you take a rope, cut off one end, put it on the the other end the rope will be longer?

• Angry

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Spent a nice weekend camping at my land with my grandson. The weather could not have been more perfect.

One of the "chores" on the list was dragging my box blind across the property back to my picnic/camping area for some major renovations. I built the box blind on skids so I can drag it to different locations if needed. I needed him to remove a large brush pile that I placed to break up the outline of the box blind before I could hook on with my jeep and drag it.

Anyways, my grandson has never driven the L2501 , only my B7100 which does not have a loader. My buddy who has lots of machine experience and great operator and teacher went thru the safety aspects and controls with him and for his first loader/grapple experience did great.

After the work finished we relaxed around the campsite, bbq'ed, enjoyed a fire, and played some very non regulation horse shoe competition, :) .

DSC03553.JPG

DSC03565.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_9732.jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0303.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Isn't that like saying if you take a rope, cut off one end, put it on the the other end the rope will be longer?
To me, not really.

It is more like saying get the rope long enough to tie a figure eight keeper knot instead of a simple overhand keeper knot. Both would hold but if you are being lifted 1000 feet off the ground with that rope which keeper knot is safer, better, more reliable?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
There are two strengths for a bolt. The shear strength is when it is being loaded ”sideways“ like it is a pin. In that case you are trying to cut the bolt into two (or three) pieces. The nut is simply acting like a pin or circlip to hold it in place as it is being cut. That is what the post shows where this discussion started.

The second strength is in tension (pulling the head) and does require the full nut engagement with a couple of extra threads to get the full tensile bolt strength.

For simplicity most people are taught that ALL bolts must go through the nut. And that is best in both conditions and easier to always do the same thing.

Here is a link to more information if you are interested
You just made the best explanation for what I have always done as a rule of thumb. Too many people don’t know that the threads are actually what reduces the tensile strength, which is almost NEVER as strong as the shear strength. If there is no tensile force on the bolt, then yes, a couple threads will likely hold, if a proper lock washer is installed under the nut. However, it surely cannot be torqued to bolt size and material specs without being the cause of the failure. More often than not, the lock washer or a thicker flat washer is the cause of the bolt being too short as they seem to be considered unnecessary in applications where the hole is a proper clearance size. This will rarely be the case with slotted holes and lack of a flat washer will often cause distortion of the bolt.

Bottom line, if you can see threads in the nut, the bolt’s too short. At the same time, nothing sticking out past the nut is providing any sort of strength to the application, shear, tensile, or radial. A bolt that is too long more often than not is just a resource for knuckle abuse.

You do you though.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Picking up hay was fun!
I can honestly say I have NEVER heard this said or seen written before in my life.

Cutting it, check.
Raking it, check.
Baling it, check.
Picking it up, you’re a sadistic soul.

Glad you had the good weather for it though.

See? There are some benefits to a good ol’ fashioned hurricane, namely sucking some nice cool Canuckian air conditioning south for a few days. We even had a couple nice days down here in Alabama. Back to our usual 95 degrees at 95% humidity today though.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Over the last week when time has permitted I decided I would take the time to plant a little food plot on the back of the property. I wanted to put a few more hours on the ole Ford so I put the ole disk on, then used the drag. Next it was seed time and finally a good running over it with the old cultipacker. Turkeys will likely attack the seed before it sprouts and then what ever comes up the deer will graze. Nice break in the humidity while enjoying the ole outdoors.
IMG_8668.jpg

IMG_8672.jpg

IMG_8673.jpg

Reactions: 15 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Over the last week when time has permitted I decided I would take the time to plant a little food plot on the back of the property. I wanted to put a few more hours on the ole Ford so I put the ole disk on, then used the drag. Next it was seed time and finally a good running over it with the old cultipacker. Turkeys will likely attack the seed before it sprouts and then what ever comes up the deer will graze. Nice break in the humidity while enjoying the ole outdoors.
View attachment 134878
View attachment 134879
View attachment 134880
Nice looking Ford!
I love my Ford 4x4 1920 FEL.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Nice looking Ford!
I love my Ford 4x4 1920 FEL.
And no emissions. I would hate to know how many hours are on the ole Ford. It's a 1975 and my FIL farmed with it almost daily for about 40 years. I put a new instrument cluster on it as the tach needle broke off about a year ago. Heck the hour meter had not worked in over 20 years prior to me replacing the cluster. Funny thing about the no emissions, it smokes a bit but does not really stink when running. The Kubota kinda stinks when it is running with its DPF.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
And no emissions. I would hate to know how many hours are on the ole Ford. It's a 1975 and my FIL farmed with it almost daily for about 40 years. I put a new instrument cluster on it as the tach needle broke off about a year ago. Heck the hour meter had not worked in over 20 years prior to me replacing the cluster. Funny thing about the no emissions, it smokes a bit but does not really stink when running. The Kubota kinda stinks when it is running with its DPF.
I do like my 2006 Kubota L48 TLB, but I have a very special affection for my 1989 Ford 1920 4x4 FEL (Shibaura).
I bought it used with 1,000 hours, but have completely refurbished it (looks like new).
I use my little 32HP Ford at least twice as often as my larger Kubota.
I bought my (used) 2006 model Kubota TLB, specifically because it did not have a "stink" generator.

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Had a bead leak on one of the B3200 front tires. Sent my son off to the tire shop. Ended up needing a tube. 15 bucks and 20 minutes later it is ready to go back on

Reactions: 4 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Today the Kubota played helper. My son operated it to pull up the 2nd section of my radio tower. I have a pulley / snatch block attached to my ballast box (laying on its side). The issue I had was as the section started to go up the ballast box would side toward the tractor. Then the pulley wasn't directly below the pulley on the gin pole. When that happened the aluminum gin pole started to bend - not a good thing.

Tried loading more weight on the box - some heavy block and and 25 gallon filled water tank. Still no love. Ended up driving an angle iron a foot into the ground against the box. That stopped it from moving. After that easy peasy!
20240814_134609.jpg

signal-2024-08-14-15-15-08-029-8.jpg

The next 4 sections should be really easy

signal-2024-08-14-15-15-08-029.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is up to the axles but not up to the air inlet. I was a little worried because hydraulic filter and oil filer are partially submerged. River crested last night and is going down. Still might just wait.
Still wondering what happened to his tractor. Beginning to believe that he was just another one trick pony.

Swamp Tractor
New member · From Givhans, SC
Joined Sunday at 2:15 PM
Last seen Sunday at 4:00 PM

Gus1957

Premium Member

Equipment
M6800, L2501 TLB, BX2370
Dec 17, 2023
Cobleskill NY
Used L2501 Hoe to lift rototiller back on M6800 after modified lower arm slip hitch slid off.
This 5'Kuhn rototiller is a bear from the 80's, but it was sized for a 35hp tractor. Had to modify the lower attach points so it would sit lower in the ground on the M6800. Plowed ground 1st and picked lots of rocks but never get them all. With tailgate up on rototiller bouncing a lot which made the lower arm point come off. Handy having 2 Kubotas.

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users