Which to Buy: B3200 or L3200/3800

MyHomestead

Jun 28, 2013
USA
I'm still shopping and I am even sending quotes from some dealers to others to try and get them to beat their competitors price. Still haven't found the deal I'm willing to spend my money on. I was concerned if the larger the HP, the more fuel it would burn. Still weighing on the option of HST/ gear shift. Just want to make sure I'm buying a tractor I'll be happy with for the next 20 years.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Yeah, I'd pay extra for a gear trans w/clutch! :D
Shh!
Don't let them hear you say THAT.

Having a gear transmission as a cost-plus option isn't all that unrealistic- look what the big three have done with their trucks. You quite literally cannot buy a Ford with a manual tranny. They way they got there was to make a manual transmission an option, then make it only available with certain combinations, then restrict the availability even further. Then the bean counters said "look- hardly anyone wants/orders a manual tranny"

I hope it doesn't come to that with tractors. For me, HST has its place (loader work) and gears have there place (working the field).
I like having one of each :)

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Shh!
Don't let them hear you say THAT.

Having a gear transmission as a cost-plus option isn't all that unrealistic- look what the big three have done with their trucks. You quite literally cannot buy a Ford with a manual tranny. They way they got there was to make a manual transmission an option, then make it only available with certain combinations, then restrict the availability even further. Then the bean counters said "look- hardly anyone wants/orders a manual tranny"

I hope it doesn't come to that with tractors. For me, HST has its place (loader work) and gears have there place (working the field).
I like having one of each :)
OK yes, keep that quiet! :eek:

I hope we don't see tractors go that way, but we probably will.

I don't mind an auto trans in my highway truck, but the farm truck better have manual, or I wont have it! My next truck will likely be a nice clean, or fully resorted older model.

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
Gear drive all the way, It's just not a tractor if you dont have to shift anything, just my opionion.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
OK yes, keep that quiet! :eek:

I hope we don't see tractors go that way, but we probably will.
Look at what has already been done to the Grand L series. If you want a cab you are forced to have a HST. I could use a tractor that size right now to fill in the gap in the middle. My only choice at this point is a M series. When I do buy my next one it won't be a HST even if that means going with another brand.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Look at what has already been done to the Grand L series. If you want a cab you are forced to have a HST. I could use a tractor that size right now to fill in the gap in the middle. My only choice at this point is a M series. When I do buy my next one it won't be a HST even if that means going with another brand.
Not looking to good for us gear heads! I'll be replacing our old L3750 with a 50 hp +/- tractor in the next few years. Looking at MX, M and JD 5055E at the moment. NO HST...

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Not looking to good for us gear heads!
Quote of the year!!!

17 L series models

3 standard L

8 L 40's, 7 w/cab

6 L 60's, 5 w/cab

Yeah I understand the 60's are just super fancy 40 series but still, it's 6 more models.

Really, Kubota has 12 L series cab tractors and they can't offer at least one with something other than HST. At least offer GST but no, can't even have that. I just don't understand why some type of gear tranny isn't at least a option. The HST would be the deal breaker for me. :mad:

parkgt

Equipment
8200d, B3200
Aug 26, 2012
West AR
The OP has 5.8 acres, so no field work. I also doubt that most B3200s are bought for field work. The OP wants to dig a pond; so probably plenty of loader work.

Sounds like a HST would be good choice from the comments made above?

Unless mowing large areas is the primary mission most homeowners/recreational property types would probably enjoy an HST and even then so what.

I started with under 32hp compact tractors almost 35 years ago for a landscaping business I owned. Sure wish HSTs had been available then; I wonder how many less hours many of those projects would have taken without all the shifting I did going back and forth loading and box scraping in confined areas.

Even though the safety police don't like to hear about it; I have been known to jockey a HST and inch or two to hook up to a box scraper, disc or mower while standing along side it using a hand on the pedal. That doesn't work out well with gears.

Each have their place even if some "gear heads" are stuck in gear!

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Just like automatics in trucks, they can be nice sometimes, and even (much) "better" in some scenarios. My main interest is not the "field work", I don't need that either. My interest is in a machine that will work reliably and relatively cheaply year in and out, even if it sets months with little or no attention, and that when repairs are needed, they don't require a second mortgage (yes, exaggerating) to cover. It's the stone cold simplicity, reliability and predictability that I want. If I have to shift a bit doing loader or box work, which is what I've been doing mostly, it doesn't bother me in the amounts I do. Now if I did it a LOT, I would probably opt for (or even require) the HST.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Its really interesting how people feel so strongly about gear vs Hst. It would be interesting to put the gear guys on a hst for a month and visa versa.... I am stuck on hst myself. I personally think it is the best upgrade on the machine I could have made. But then again I do alot of loader work moving material and snow in the winter. And anyone can jump on and run it for me without too much confusion... but that's just me. Cant go wrong either way. Get seat time on both and then buy a machine.

Pappy

May 13, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Not looking to good for us gear heads! I'll be replacing our old L3750 with a 50 hp +/- tractor in the next few years. Looking at MX, M and JD 5055E at the moment. NO HST...
In the 50hp and up range, there are a lot of options for gear transmissions. In fact, TractorHouse seems to be full of used ones with SyncShuttle trannies.

I'm shopping right now for something in the 45 - 50 hp range with a cab and HST. There are plenty of 40 - 45hp tractors with HST, but not that many with a cab. In the 50+ range, there are plenty with a cab, but not that many with HST.

Kubota should offer the MX series with a cab. Sure would open up some choices for some buyers. An MX 5100 HST with a cab would be just about perfect for me.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
In the 50hp and up range, there are a lot of options for gear transmissions. In fact, TractorHouse seems to be full of used ones with SyncShuttle trannies.

I'm shopping right now for something in the 45 - 50 hp range with a cab and HST. There are plenty of 40 - 45hp tractors with HST, but not that many with a cab. In the 50+ range, there are plenty with a cab, but not that many with HST.

Kubota should offer the MX series with a cab. Sure would open up some choices for some buyers. An MX 5100 HST with a cab would be just about perfect for me.
Yeah, I've just started thinking about it. There will be plenty for me to chose from. I'll be look at lightly used rigs first. Thanks!

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I recently bought a 5.8 acre property. Currently I am wearing out and damaging my 46"/24hp 1 year old Sears lawn tractor with just grass cutting duties. I need to upgrade to a tractor for other property maintenance and to take over the duties of doing standard mowing. Chores for the tractor will include maintaining my 1480' long driveway, starting a 1 acre vegetable garden, and standard mowing duty of the grass.

Currently the property is littered with pine stumps since the previous owner harvested all the timber. Ill need to dig few of these stumps up, bushhog all the tall grass/weeds that are growing (currently have about 1.75 acres of nice, clean cut grass around the house and shop), and rake all the logs/branches that were left when the timber was cut.

In the long run I'll replant pines on about 3 acres and I want to groom the rest for finish mowing. Will dig about a 1/2 acre pond.

I think I'll enjoy the bigger L Series when digging up stumps and cleaning up the property, but once that is done, would it be overkill for everything else? Would the smaller B Series be enough to do my harder work?
Homestead:

Your original questions regard the use of what tractor for 5.8 acres. We have 6.5 and an L3700SU (L3800). Box blade is the perfect tool for your requests. It will rip up soil for your garden and maintain your driveway perfectly. It has done ours and several others. It will dig ditches for you, spread gravel and even help you dig out for a rock wall, which we have done.

Now, your message/request got side tracked into gears vs. HST. Here's a couple of thoughts to add to those. I've owned both types of tractors. Similar to a Cushman scooter, with gears, you must keep all your hands and feet aware and active for any potential problems and then look behind you for what's going on with your box blade or scraper blade.

Now, with our HST, my wife can drive it safely as well as our 14 year old Grandson. I don't get concerned if they have set the brake correctly, at least on level ground, as it neatly "locks" itself as you stop. Of course, there is also a brake. However, if someone else in your family will use the tractor, it will give you a sense of comfort that they don't have to be a tractor monkey with hands and feet going everywhich way at once.

Now, the rationale behind the production of these originated with the smaller lawnmower types of "tractors." They are simply easier to use, especially for the women who cut their own lawns or for their husbands when gone or ill. The other rationale is that, like trucks and cars, it is easier to make one type of product than two just for economy of scale. I like it. One thing I hear everyone saying is that they want a tractor really cheap but they want it also really well built. The rational behind HST's gives you a higher quality for less money, not dumping others preferences into the mix and charging you for it.

It's an old story. I'm an old dog who was able to learn new tricks and I'm better for it, so is our property and you will be also. I am also more secure knowing that my wife can start it, run it, use the loader, box blade, and scraper safely.

The best advice has been given. When in doubt, buy bigger, go the next size up and if you compromise, you will look back and wonder why all this good advice was ignored.

If I had a Cushman scooter today, I'd sell it as fast as I could. Anything that vibrates that much and need so much attention isn't good for your frames, the physical one or the mental one.

Read back over these messages with your original question in mind. The L3800 will do everything you want plus. The stumps are a one time thing, the rest is where you will be living and maintaining. Go with the purpose, not someone else's preference.

The HST VS. Gear has been drummed almost to powder in this and other forums. Read those reports and compare.

Go get a tractor.

Burt

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
If my tractor isn't mowing, it's doing some loader work. Can't count on snow here - sometimes we get real winters and sometimes the cold weather and precip don't coordinate. Most projects are handled with the loader, rear blade, a drag I made or the newly acquired box blade.

My first tractor was gear and the last three hydro. The hydro is just too user-friendly to go gear. When mowing I can back off the pedal a little to make sharper turns, trim close to things or slow down for crossing bumps. I can go "from zero to...whatever this speed is" with full power, not needing to ride the clutch to go a speed there isn't a gear for.

If I ever have the extra bucks to suppport a trip through my second childhood/midlife crisis I'd prefer a gear Vette over an auto.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'm still shopping and I am even sending quotes from some dealers to others to try and get them to beat their competitors price. Still haven't found the deal I'm willing to spend my money on. I was concerned if the larger the HP, the more fuel it would burn. Still weighing on the option of HST/ gear shift. Just want to make sure I'm buying a tractor I'll be happy with for the next 20 years.
Back on topic, did you ever get a quote from Barlows?

I think any price between 20-22k is good for a L3800 with the attachments you listed (can't remember).

Package deal here L3800DT with FEL, trailer, 5' mower, 5' box blade is now 22k, price slowly creeping up.

Forget 'Gear vs HST' and buy what 'you' want.

Last edited: