Which to Buy: B3200 or L3200/3800

MyHomestead

Jun 28, 2013
USA
I recently bought a 5.8 acre property. Currently I am wearing out and damaging my 46"/24hp 1 year old Sears lawn tractor with just grass cutting duties. I need to upgrade to a tractor for other property maintenance and to take over the duties of doing standard mowing. Chores for the tractor will include maintaining my 1480' long driveway, starting a 1 acre vegetable garden, and standard mowing duty of the grass.

Currently the property is littered with pine stumps since the previous owner harvested all the timber. Ill need to dig few of these stumps up, bushhog all the tall grass/weeds that are growing (currently have about 1.75 acres of nice, clean cut grass around the house and shop), and rake all the logs/branches that were left when the timber was cut.

In the long run I'll replant pines on about 3 acres and I want to groom the rest for finish mowing. Will dig about a 1/2 acre pond.

I think I'll enjoy the bigger L Series when digging up stumps and cleaning up the property, but once that is done, would it be overkill for everything else? Would the smaller B Series be enough to do my harder work?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard!

I don't feel like my L3200 is overkill on my 3-1/2 acres. Heck, I use it to do the widow lady's 1/2 acre across the road. I had a B7500 for 10 years and often thought it needed a few more horses, or should weigh more, or had larger FEL capacity.

The L3200 handles the 6' RFM more easily than the B7500 handled the 5 footer. It doesn't need to be put in 4WD to go the same places it was required on the B7500. I'm 6-4 and around 270# and the L series is way more comfortable to operate. After a year and 80-some hours on it, the tractor has had plenty of power for everything it has done.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The money is close. The L3200/3800 is a LOT more tractor. I went for the L3200 on 10 acres, and love it.

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
what ever you decide to buy, buy the next size bigger. you'll find more uses than what you thought your gonna use it for.

MyHomestead

Jun 28, 2013
USA
Went to the local Kubota dealer yesterday at 11:00 and they were closed even though I called and was told they stayed open until 1:00pm. Guess I'll try again next weekend.

My biggest concern with going with the larger L Series is being able to maneuver around tree, stumps, and other obstacles.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Went to the local Kubota dealer yesterday at 11:00 and they were closed even though I called and was told they stayed open until 1:00pm. Guess I'll try again next weekend.

My biggest concern with going with the larger L Series is being able to maneuver around tree, stumps, and other obstacles.
I went with the L3800 because it was more maneuverable than larger models (was looking at the L4400 too). Besides mowing, I use mine as a log skidder, dragging oak logs out of the woods. It has a short wheel base for its size and turns very sharp. Very maneuverable!

I would have to have a talk with that dealer, if I were you. Not cool! I'd give them the benefit of the doubt this time, but would also be looking for another Kubota dealer.

MyHomestead

Jun 28, 2013
USA
I called the dealer that closed early on Saturday and was quoted $24,000+tax for a L3800 with LA524 FEL, canopy, and Woods Bush hog. Seem like a good price?

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I recently bought a 5.8 acre property. Currently I am wearing out and damaging my 46"/24hp 1 year old Sears lawn tractor with just grass cutting duties. I need to upgrade to a tractor for other property maintenance and to take over the duties of doing standard mowing. Chores for the tractor will include maintaining my 1480' long driveway, starting a 1 acre vegetable garden, and standard mowing duty of the grass.

Currently the property is littered with pine stumps since the previous owner harvested all the timber. Ill need to dig few of these stumps up, bushhog all the tall grass/weeds that are growing (currently have about 1.75 acres of nice, clean cut grass around the house and shop), and rake all the logs/branches that were left when the timber was cut.

In the long run I'll replant pines on about 3 acres and I want to groom the rest for finish mowing. Will dig about a 1/2 acre pond.

I think I'll enjoy the bigger L Series when digging up stumps and cleaning up the property, but once that is done, would it be overkill for everything else? Would the smaller B Series be enough to do my harder work?
My Homestead:

We have an L3700SU (same as L3800) on 6.5 acres. It does it all, maneuvers super, wife and grandkids are safe on it.

An L3800 will handle all your 3-point attachments with ease and durability. The best advice has been given. When in doubt, go bigger!

The only other advice I can pass on is that unless you have a super need for the canopy, most recommend NOT to get it! It's a noise producer for some reason. Many who have them have taken them off. Better to suffer in a nice warm coat if need be or a raincoat. I've never seen a need for one unless you are farming and need a closed in canopy.

Good luck.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The only other advice I can pass on is that unless you have a super need for the canopy, most recommend NOT to get it! It's a noise producer for some reason. Many who have them have taken them off. Better to suffer in a nice warm coat if need be or a raincoat. I've never seen a need for one unless you are farming and need a closed in canopy.
Spend some time working in Phoenix summer sun, then reconsider that statement. :D I have 3 shaded thermometers on my property, all showed right at 120* for the last 2 days (I think the official high was around 118?). I'm on the North side, which always seems a bit higher than official in the summer, and often cooler in the winter. But the reflected noise factor could certainly be an issue, though there are ways around that.

MyHomestead

Jun 28, 2013
USA
My Homestead:

We have an L3700SU (same as L3800) on 6.5 acres. It does it all, maneuvers super, wife and grandkids are safe on it.

An L3800 will handle all your 3-point attachments with ease and durability. The best advice has been given. When in doubt, go bigger!

Good luck.
I borrowed a friends 26HP Cub Cadet compact tractor over the weekend. It was a handy little machine considering I have none of my own but did consider it a bit cramped. I would compare it to the B Series. I'm 6'4" 280lbs and don't think I would want to be that cramped. I noticed it seemed extremely loud and that may be attributed to it having a canopy.

One thing is the Cub Cadet had R4 tires and 4x4 but I still managed to get it stuck in a very water logged section of my property (where the pond will get dug). A friends uncle came and yanked me out with his MX5100 4x4 with R1 tires. It basically idled while pulling me out of the hole I was stuck in. Could me getting stuck be because of the tires? I didn't want to go R1 because I still want to have a finish mower and not tear up the lawn.

senecak19

Equipment
Dethatcher, Brush Forks, Land Plane
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
Less then two weeks ago I purchased an L3200 with Fel, loaded rear tires and R4 tires. Out the door it was $19,800. That's kubota insurance, tax, bucket rebate, documentation and delivery. I won't lie I haven't done anything other then clean it. My hopefully soon to be property has 2.1 acres of grass , stream side and some stone walls that need rebuilding. I bave to deal with snow as well. Am I overkill? Maybe but I tried to go as large as I could afford with out going crazy. In my head I couldn't justify the 3800 and had to draw the line somewhere. People are correct. I am impressed with the turning radius of these machines. That's my $0.02 for what it's worth.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I borrowed a friends 26HP Cub Cadet compact tractor over the weekend. It was a handy little machine considering I have none of my own but did consider it a bit cramped. I would compare it to the B Series. I'm 6'4" 280lbs and don't think I would want to be that cramped. I noticed it seemed extremely loud and that may be attributed to it having a canopy.

One thing is the Cub Cadet had R4 tires and 4x4 but I still managed to get it stuck in a very water logged section of my property (where the pond will get dug). A friends uncle came and yanked me out with his MX5100 4x4 with R1 tires. It basically idled while pulling me out of the hole I was stuck in. Could me getting stuck be because of the tires? I didn't want to go R1 because I still want to have a finish mower and not tear up the lawn.
R1's are more agressive than R4's, but there are many variables involved in getting stuck- R1's may not have gotten you out.
That being said, R1's aren't too agressive for mowing, if you drive reasonably.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
R4s' are just about useless in mud! But shorter tires and lower ground clearance are the likely cause of getting stuck.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Just received another quote this morning: L3800, LA524 FEL, 5' bush hog

$24,747.36 (includes tax)
That would be 3-4K too high here. But prices are different around the country? They advertise a package deal here w/trailer, 5'hog, 5'box blade for right around 21k...

On a different note, I paid 16k out the door for my L3800DT FEL w/5'hog w/14hrs on it, a year and a half ago.

Last edited:

MyHomestead

Jun 28, 2013
USA
Barlows is an 11 drive, one way from my house in south Louisiana. Pretty far to travel for a tractor deal. I contacted all the dealers within a 2-3 mile drive away from me. Waiting to hear back from them.