What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
finally got around to welding casters onto the stump grinder shipping crate so it has its own dolly.

Uh huh! Now I know what to do with my chipper when I finally get a concrete floor to store stuff on.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Moved another half-dozen trailer loads of leaves today. I normally use the little Husqvarna to pull the yard trailer, but had already moved big orange so I just hooked the trailer to it. The Missus woulda told me a few years back just exactly where I could hang my hat that night if I even suggested raking and moving leaves past the first ditch across the property. But it was the best idea since shirt pockets when she thought about doing it, wasn't it? We've moved approximately 20 trailer loads of leaves since we started, and aren't NEARLY done with what I think she wants to do. But hey, she rakes 'em, I pick 'em up and haul 'em to the 2nd wash. Just like I've been doing for 15 years. That wash doesn't seem to ever fill up. Some happy nightcrawlers back there, though.

Did a preliminary lay-out for the slab for my new shop/shed. Gonna do a 24x36 and maybe add a lean-to for the trailers. Will probably do the grading for that and save a few bucks on the pour. Local fella's supposed to come by and give me a pour estimate tomorrow. Before the shop build can happen, I have to move my 12 x 20 tool shed outta the way, and dig up the power I ran to it. I'll put it in a temporary location until I get the new shed built. Thinking about trying to find a kit that I can build just for the amusement factor. Looks like I'll be able to easily put the 'bota and the Husky in the same stall. Figure on putting the chipper and anything else with rotating parts I wind up having in one stall along with the yard trailer, and having another 4 feet of storage room for a tool shed. I don't figure I need concrete for storing the big trailer, so may put a 10' lean-to on the end. I've got an old wood stove that I want to put in one corner somewhere too. Not too concerned about summer temps, but if I wanna work out there in the winter, don't wanna turn into a popsicle.
Turn into a popsicle? Like this?

IMG_20210206_155708298.jpg

T'was about -20C and a stiff wind from across an open field to boot. Thankfully the drive has lots of treed wind cover away from the main road entrance.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Turn into a popsicle? Like this?

View attachment 56020

T'was about -20C and a stiff wind from across an open field to boot. Thankfully the drive has lots of treed wind cover away from the main road entrance.
Yup, that's another reason I live in the south. Frozen boogers just doesn't appeal to me. When the temperature gets low enough for frost to form, that's plenty cold for me. The problem with winter down here is that it's typically hovering around 40 degrees, and raining like a cow peein' on a flat rock. Ya get wet, ya get cold, and there ain't no warming up in damp clothing. I actually tolerated -10 for about 10 days when I did a short stint up in KY. Didn't really bother me because it was so dry, and it really doesn't take that many clothes to stay warm if you can stay DRY. If you don't like the weather down here, just wait 5 minutes, it'll change. And probably to something you like even less.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I decided to swap the blades on my little lawn tractor. It ain't Kubota, but it is orange. Used the FEL on the LX to pick the front end of the little one instead of wrestling that mowing deck out from under it. It took longer to get all the rigging (two 500 lb ratchet straps) and move the big orange tractor than it did to swap the blades. I don't think I've ever done done a blade swap that fast before.

Had two spare sets of blades for the little one, which I cleaned up to inspect for cracks, which they tend to do when they wear as thin as these are getting. Decided to experiment and build one up with the wire welder. Not sure how bad I screwed up the tempering, but managed to lay a bit of metal on one blade just for the experiment. Got it ground down, checked the balance and installed it on the mower. No significant vibration, so I musta done something right. Now let's see how long it lasts.....

Got done with all that so quick, I was still bored with no other adults around to supervise my antics, so I decided to pressure wash the LX. Did I mention we have VERY sticky clay? Ever seen dirt that a 4000 PSI pressure washer won't move? I must have finally gotten at least 200 pounds of mud off the machine. This required washing, re-washing, re-re-washing, and re-re-re-washing. Every time I got near one of the tires, me, the LX and anything within 20 yards got splattered with mud. I think I'll let it dry and fall off next time.

If anyone has any good tips, please, I'd love to hear them Tractors are hard to wash. Too many places that get dirtier when you wash other places. I called myself being smart and using the pressure washer. Well, I learned the hard way just how easy the labels and logos come off the LA-535 loader, and what not to do about cleaning excess grease off. I was spraying the boom on the loader (after splattering it with mud the 3rd time from the front tire) and saw a 5 go flying. What the .....? Both 5's were now gone, as well as half the K and the a in "Kubota". Two safety labels had also blown off the LH side. Did I mention I have a 4000 PSI washer? I'm a bit disappointed in the adhesive on the lables used for the LA-535.

Managed to get the labels stuck back on where they came from, if only temporarily Might talk to the dealer and see if they'll get me some new ones and maybe give me some tips about waste grease cleanup.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would not be using 4000 pounds of pressure to wash a tractor! Wouldn't you expect the decals to come off? You can destroy more then you fix, and get water where it shouldn't be.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I would not be using 4000 pounds of pressure to wash a tractor! Wouldn't you expect the decals to come off? You can destroy more then you fix, and get water where it shouldn't be.
I only really used the high pressure on hard surfaces (the wheels and frame) and the tires that were extremely muddy. I don't spray places where I might force water into the oil or electronics. In fact, I never even raised the hood. Nothing dirty enough to worry about on the engine, nor anywhere on the frame or transmission. I know where the soft spots are on mechanical things, and avoid them, or turn the nozzle to a lower pressure if I'm using degreaser in an engine bay. I blew a bunch of paint off a 1982 Buick Skylark (when it was still new) and learned my lesson. One little rock mark in the paint turned into a 6 inch diameter spot with no paint at all. Quickly. Backing away helps a lot. Most of the energy in the water is dissipated to nearly nothing but getting wet at 2 feet. I was at least 18 inches from the boom when I saw the two 5's go flying. They're pretty dainty, yet they came off in one piece, so that doesn't say much for the adhesive. The only one I tore was the "K" in Kubota because I was turning around with the wand and didn't realize I was so close. The "a" went flying too. I recovered all of the flying decals and put them back on. My step-daughter has a vinyl stencil machine, so I can probably get her a logo and have her make me some to replace the others as they fall off. Might have 'em done in black or dark grey.

Pressure washing was pretty inefficient, so next time, I'll probably just use a putty knife to get the caked on stuff off, a scrub brush, and our high pressure tap (ahead of the regulator) to wash. Maybe hang a tarp over the ROPS and behind the wheels to keep it from splattering off the wheels and all over the tractor. Not like my idea for getting excess grease off the boom pins worked out. All I did with that was splatter it all over the machine or force it into harder to get to places. The smarter idea is going to be to take it off the tractor to wash it so I don't get the waste grease all over the tractor.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Finally got it dirty! Put the BX to work reworking the burn pile. Scraped the old off to the side and dug a square pit.. not very deep it had a lot roots, wish I had my piranha on it!
Anyways I took the good dirt and filled in low spots and then back filled the old ash and who knows what else back into the pit... somewhat of a pit that is! Lol wasn’t completely done in this photo but close.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

RPMx1000

Equipment
2021 BX23S
Mar 10, 2021
Pennsylvania
Purchased a brand new BX23S with 60” mmm, 3rd function kit, skid steer quick attach, backhoe thumb, bolt on tooth bar for loader bucket, 48” box blade, 48” brush hog, 36” pallet forks, and a brush rake with grapple on order.... it was an expensive day but couldn’t pass up the 0% financing and 0 down. Bought it all out of state so there wasn’t any sales tax!😎

Reactions: 6 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Purchased a brand new BX23S with 60” mmm, 3rd function kit, skid steer quick attach, backhoe thumb, bolt on tooth bar for loader bucket, 48” box blade, 48” brush hog, 36” pallet forks, and a brush rake with grapple on order.... it was an expensive day but couldn’t pass up the 0% financing and 0 down. Bought it all out of state so there wasn’t any sales tax!😎
Very nice! Welcome to OTT!

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Congrats!! You are in for SO much fun...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
'Cat - - - I don't want to make a tangent on the Kubota thread, but this has a bearing on any older tractor.

My old 'Moline has 40 years of a thin oily "crud" all over the lower engine, manual crank housing, tranny, rear PTO housing, floorboards, etc. It had a paint job done about 40 years ago. Although he used wrong color (MM Industrial vs. Prairie Gold), the paint is okay, but just a little grimy.

Now that it's here at my house, I'd like to get some of that off.

He's going to want to visit it after his COVID shot today.....there's 2 feet of snow around it right now, but it will be coming.

Just want to pretty it up a little for his first visit.

He hasn't been this far away from it for this long since the late-'50's. He also "tells" my grandfather about it at the cemetery when he visits.

I don't want to disappoint 2 generations....

I've thought about Purple Power or Simple Green in a spray bottle, then use pressure washer with an EASY tip to clean off....

Your Case looked so good years ago. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Finally temps in the 60s and a hint of warmth to come. Since we Spring forward this weekend, I thought it was time to put some Spring Air in the tires. Brought the fronts up to 35 psi to help with loader work, and added a bit to the rears. Calling for snow again this weekend, so I waxed the bucket in case we get some of that heavy wet stuff. The moisture would be nice as dry as its been. :giggle::giggle:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Dropped the plow off the front and the blower off the back, tossed the bucket and the Box blade on to get ready to grade the driveway after tomorrow rain. I have to clean and will service the blower before I store it for the season which is gonna be a little while since my implement shed isn’t accessible until more snow melts.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
The M is stuck in the shed with early mud season in effect,
I doubt I will be back on it for the next few weeks unless we get some hard freezes.
Even if it snows now, with the ground thawed out, plowing would be a a questionable thing...:eek:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Off with the blower and on with the grapple. If you're wondering why one light is lower than the other, well we got cloth lined. When it gets a little warmer I'll lower the let one to match.

Attachments

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Dropped the plow off the front and the blower off the back, tossed the bucket and the Box blade on to get ready to grade the driveway after tomorrow rain. I have to clean and will service the blower before I store it for the season which is gonna be a little while since my implement shed isn’t accessible until more snow melts.
Shed not accessible because of snow? isn't your tractor for clearing that snow that's keeping you from your shed? Or anywhere?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Shed not accessible because of snow? isn't your tractor for clearing that snow that's keeping you from your shed? Or anywhere?
there is a low spot there and I ran out of fill last year, so it’s basically a swamp for the next little while. I did snow blow around it a couple times so hopefully this year it won’t take long to dry up A bit. I don’t want to have to repair a bunch of ruts.

Reactions: 1 user

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Ditch wasn’t draining, went from 3-4‘ of snow, to seeing grass in 24hrs. Love having a quick attach backhoe. dropped the 3pt, untarped the hoe from her winter slumber, gave it a once over. Then dug the ice out of the entry to the pipe under the driveway.
94FD3BEA-3FFA-4582-8118-0D23D7D06D2C.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Dusted off the PTO leaf blower and cleared nearly two acres of leaves in under 5 hours. The thing impresses me every single time.

Reactions: 8 users