What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I wanted to provide some additional information re the 3-1/2 hours of work that I did this past Friday. I don't typically keep accurate records for fuel consumption, but since this was a paying job I paid attention. By my calculations the MX was using around 2.85 gallons/hour running wide open at 2,600 rpm on flat ground and pulling a flail. I built a lot more cushion into my pricing than that so this first test was successful in that I didn't lose my a$$ on fuel costs.

The M6060 sips fuel compared to the MX so I'm even more confident in my numbers for jobs using that tractor with a nice cushion for unexpected costs.

Reactions: 3 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Neighbors wanted their beach tilled again this year, gets me a case of beer so I’m in. I really like this time of year because I take the FEL off to work drives, rototill and drag. The ole K handles like completely different machine and front visibility is amazing. I’ll have to put it back on soon as it’s BH92 season.

Hope everyone has a great summer!

IMG_2024-06-02-165227.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

Reactions: 15 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I wanted to provide some additional information re the 3-1/2 hours of work that I did this past Friday. I don't typically keep accurate records for fuel consumption, but since this was a paying job I paid attention. By my calculations the MX was using around 2.85 gallons/hour running wide open at 2,600 rpm on flat ground and pulling a flail. I built a lot more cushion into my pricing than that so this first test was successful in that I didn't lose my a$$ on fuel costs.

The M6060 sips fuel compared to the MX so I'm even more confident in my numbers for jobs using that tractor with a nice cushion for unexpected costs.
There are always unforseen costs...

I have been burned on a couple side jobs, lost about $2,300, customer not wanting to pay after completing(I should have filed a lien), and one that was never happy because he was breathing, he became a true oxygen thief to this world, people want chit for free in this world. I always go beyond my scope of work for every job. I also didn't want a BS or negative review on my google website, I damn near did that job for free. And that POS dude was supposedly an Army Retired Veteran as well.

• Sad

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I like the puller. Simple, but should be very effective. If made from hard steel and sharp edges left on the cutouts, it should bite the posts pretty well. I take it you have some sort of SSQA adapter for the chain? Do you use the curl to pull, or just the lift?
The chain is a short piece of 5/16 transport chain with a grab hook on one end and nothing on the other. The puller plate has a 5/16 chain slot on one end. Chain is attached to the loader by wrapping the hook end around something on the grapple or fork frame, whichever happens to be on at the time. Boom gets about 90% of them, even those that are stuck so hard the spade part of the post pulls off. Curl gets another 9%. The other 1% gets hooked to the 3 point. About 900 fence posts so far and there’s no visible wear other than paint scuffs on the puller plate, does NOT slip (unless you put it on backwards), and I have yet to run across a T-post that I can’t pull unless I can’t get the tractor to it. Happened to see it at Tractor Supply for about $10 right before we started the church silt fence project and figured it was worth $10 if it was even 10% faster than wrapping a chain. It’s probably more like 50% faster. Not a big deal if you’re pulling a couple dozen posts. Kind of a deal if you’re pulling 1000.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Started one of the few post retirement projects that is a “because I want to”, and no other reason. If I never did this one, I don’t think anyone else would care at all.

We have about 40 acres north of the creek that splits our property. The houses, pond, public road, etc. is on the south side. When the sewer line was put down the north side of the creek many years ago, it created a pseudo-road in the creek bottom. We’ve mowed it routinely so it’s still passable on the part we own. The acreage north of the sewer line consists of a mostly flat plateau with 100 year old short leaf pines on the west end (they were logged off then so they’re all about the same age) and a varied mix of hardwoods on the east end. There are several trails in the south side but none other than the sewer line on the north. So about half our acreage has always been accessible only by foot, and even then without any trails at all, so it is rare anyone ever goes there. I’ve always thought that was a bit of a shame although I have no specific reason to access that half of the property. Not trying to build a real road, just a path sufficient for routine use walking, traversing with Mule, and accommodating tractor for maintenance at least when reasonably dry.

Part of the issue has always been getting out of the creek bottom up to the plateau. Viewed from the creek bottom, it’s like an eyebrow window; about even on both ends and about 50’ at its highest point near the middle. By far the most reliable all season creek crossing is in the middle due to topography on the south side making the ends unfriendly to wet weather. Springs emanating from the end of the plateau create wet weather passage issues on the sewer line.

So a couple weeks ago I spent some time scouting for either a viable new wet weather crossing on the east end past the eastern spring or a viable trail out of the creek bottom in between the springs that bracket the current crossing.

Found a spot not far from the current crossing that I could get the Mule or L up, but a large white oak that fell in a windstorm about 5 years ago was blocking it. In the pic below, the new trail is headed up the slope to the left. The dirt area where I side sloped a path into the berm on the sewer line is on the right. Just past view on the side sloped trail, that berm weeps about 75% of the time.
IMG_2517.jpeg

Grapple was very helpful clearing the white oak in three chunks rather than little man sized pieces. That tree had been down 5 years and the root ball still fell most of the way back in the hole. Surprisingly, the wood was still solid enough I may take some or all of it back to the wood yard for firewood now that I have adequate equipment to get it there. The old Ford N and Farmall H we were running when it fell had no chance of getting something that big across the creeks so we left it in favor of lower hanging fruit.
IMG_2518.jpeg

When I got past the tree, the hillside was thick with little sapling like these and mature witch hazel clusters. Not sure if witch hazel is a shrub or a tree but each stalk seems to max out a little over 1” diameter and about 12’ high at most. Had originally planned to use chainsaw and weedeater with blade but still had the bush hog on the tractor so drove it up the slope and bush hogged everything. I could not have gotten the old N up that slope with the bush hog behind it even if the path was already cleared. No problem crawling all over it with the Kubota in 4WD.
IMG_2524.jpeg

Should have taken some pics at the time but I kind of got engrossed in it and didn’t think to take any. This is pretty much what I ended up with for the path out of the creek bottom.
IMG_2519.jpeg
IMG_2525.jpeg

For now this is as far as my new little trail goes. It’s still quite a ways to the edges of the property regardless which way you go as this is near the geographic center of the property. It’s also one of the more sparsely vegetated areas. The more challenging areas lie ahead. But at least now I’ve gotten out of the creek bottom and onto the plateau while it was dry enough to get the tractor over there without tearing up the ground.
IMG_2521.jpeg

IMG_2523.jpeg

Next step is to keep heading north to the northern border with as little collateral damage as practical. I’ll be scouting on foot with surveyor tape in hand to lay it out before continuing.

And yes, I’m sure a high flow CTL with a forestry mulcher would be swell but not going that route unless it’s a lot worse than I suspect. We have a couple miles of trails on other areas and haven’t needed a forestry mulcher yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am back to cleaning up the mess from my two "tree removal" trees.

IMG_5882.JPG

And the term "mess" is descriptive. There is one Red Oak log on the left and two Post Oak logs hidden on the right. That plus firewood from both.

IMG_5884.JPG

This Red Oak log is junky; it's crooked plus the top end is fractured from the fall. Maybe I can at least get a short 4X4 from it.

IMG_5885.JPG

It is easier for me to use my ledger stick and mark the firewood lengths before bucking.

IMG_5883.JPG

Another bucket load of rounds going out. I am loving that Stihl MS261 more with each use.

IMG_5887.JPG

Some of the firewood will need splitting and it all will have to be wheelbarrowed into the woodshed for stacking. Red Oak is my most favorite firewood and Post Oak is my most non-favorite. That loose bark makes a mess when bringing it in to the fireplace insert.

IMG_5886.JPG

There are two more Post Oak logs to be skidded out; one good one and one poor one. Then the remaining Red and Post Oak firewood to be bucked and brought out.

I quit at noon today. Did not get through.....just quit. Tomorrow will be tomorrow. I am 6 weeks from my 81st Birthday and that is reason enough. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Interesting, never saw a beach tilled before. For a case of beer, why not😎
The beaches near me use something like this, like a tiller on steroids, works amazingly well, leaves nice soft sand in its wake - although they use New Holland tractors, so no orange :(

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
The beaches near me use something like this, like a tiller on steroids, works amazingly well, leaves nice soft sand in its wake - although they use New Holland tractors, so no orange :(
That is pretty cool. We’re 20 minutes from Lake Michigan but I’m not sure what they use to clean and condition the beaches we visit.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Helped a neighbor find his crushed drain tile line. I just scooped up the gravel with the L machine. His dad's mini did most of the work.
20240603_181924.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I am back to cleaning up the mess from my two "tree removal" trees.

View attachment 129997
And the term "mess" is descriptive. There is one Red Oak log on the left and two Post Oak logs hidden on the right. That plus firewood from both.

View attachment 129998
This Red Oak log is junky; it's crooked plus the top end is fractured from the fall. Maybe I can at least get a short 4X4 from it.

View attachment 129999
It is easier for me to use my ledger stick and mark the firewood lengths before bucking.

View attachment 130000
Another bucket load of rounds going out. I am loving that Stihl MS261 more with each use.

View attachment 130001
Some of the firewood will need splitting and it all will have to be wheelbarrowed into the woodshed for stacking. Red Oak is my most favorite firewood and Post Oak is my most non-favorite. That loose bark makes a mess when bringing it in to the fireplace insert.

View attachment 130002
There are two more Post Oak logs to be skidded out; one good one and one poor one. Then the remaining Red and Post Oak firewood to be bucked and brought out.

I quit at noon today. Did not get through.....just quit. Tomorrow will be tomorrow. I am 6 weeks from my 81st Birthday and that is reason enough. ;)
Nice job with the firewood at your age. It's what keeps you young and spry.
I have a Stihl MS 271 and also just love the saw. It's cut 100's of face cords of wood over the years.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Nice job with the firewood at your age. It's what keeps you young and spry.
I have a Stihl MS 271 and also just love the saw.
Thank You, I had to look the MS271 up and found that it is the "Homeowners, Farm Boss" version of the 50cc saw. My MS261 is about 6 months old and is starting to loosen up and really throw some chips.

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
Did the 1400 hr Oil/Filter/Lube on my M5640. New to me since 700 hrs. First time I made a mess. Only half went in the drain pan. The rest spread all around the loader mount frame.

P1170765.JPG

So I made a deflector out of a piece of angle and have used it since.

P1170773.JPG

P1170775.JPG

gg

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Did the 1400 hr Oil/Filter/Lube on my M5640. New to me since 700 hrs. First time I made a mess. Only half went in the drain pan. The rest spread all around the loader mount frame.

View attachment 130021

So I made a deflector out of a piece of angle and have used it since.

View attachment 130022

View attachment 130023

gg
Nice! I'll often cut up a plastic 1 gallon milk container to use as a funnel to direct oil where I want it to go. The downside of that though is that you have to hold it in place. Your solution is simple and effective.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Form a funnel for the win in that situation

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I was able to get a little tractor time in yesterday. Cleaned up around the garage to get ready to put some grass seed down. Not the best time to do it, but I been wanting to get this cleaned up for sometime. Put the grapple on the tractor and took 5 or 6 load of leaves away. Took about 2 hours all together including changing from the bucket to the grapple and back.

Reactions: 2 users