What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
A lightning strike three years ago did severe damage to about 1/2 of a large Maple in my front yard. 1 year ago a large section fell into an adjacent tree. Today it finally made it's way ALMOST to the ground.

Thanks to my Kubota and some chain, I was able to get it on the ground today and start processing it.

20231007_141950.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I’ve got a device that’s been used for pecans and should handle walnuts. They’re not dired out enough yet - the shells flex into almost a “not-today” smile. I did manage to crack one, not a lot of meat as you noted.

In the first run a few weeks ago, 10 walnuts gave me enough to flavor two bowls of ice cream. The squeeze may not be worth the juice. Too bad, walnuts are my favorite.
Yeah, the black walnuts don't offer much unless you're looking for something to come out from under a lawn mower at about 300 MPH and hit you in the shins or take out a window from 100 yards. We had a large tree in our yard when I was a kid. I found the green ones quite useful for batting practice, if not a bit smaller than a normal baseball. They make a wicked stain on anything that crushes that outer husk, though. The tree was next to a shed, which had a tin roof. Sounded like a large caliber rifle firing when they fell and hit that roof. I guess you know whose job it was to clean up the leaves and nuts out of the yard. My mom decided she wanted some walnuts from that tree. I broke three pecan crackers trying, and she changed her mind. Hickory nuts are quite tasty, too, but probably 2x the trouble of black walnuts. I'll buy 'em in a bag if I want some, LOL. The hybrid walnuts aren't so bad, and have a lot more 'meat' in 'em.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Nothing wrong with softwoods, let them season like any other wood and they will heat your home. Burn times won’t be as long as there are less BTU per cord than other species. The old wife’s tale of using pine in your wood stove will burn your house down has been debunked time and time again.
No, won't burn the house down, but there's a lot more turpentine and resin in pine species that will leave behind a lot more soot (because it doesn't burn as hot as hardwood). While it may not burn the house down, you may occasionally ignite the soot in the flue, and that can be a little hair raising when you hear it the first time. It CAN damage a flue if that happens and isn't quickly extinguished, but most flues are triple wall these days and not likely to fail (which is exactly why they're triple wall). My step-dad's folks wouldn't let a piece of pine anywhere near their woodstove. Pretty much exclusively ash, maybe a little white oak for fuel. They'd light it with a few splinters of fat pine kindling, but only enough to get the fire started.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
More cleaning up around the range, had to take down this, wasn’t very big, but it needed to finally come down

982A7EFD-FA97-4102-B2E6-516B49EFB022.jpeg
5B0C0662-6378-44B1-8A78-2F7039355A66.jpeg

He was there with the Bota to haul it off

Reactions: 7 users

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
I had some trees in the back yard that decided to grow in the wrong place. I figured I'd try moving them rather than just butchering them. I have about an 80% success rate doing this, so I'm hoping they all make it. The one was big enough I needed my little orange friend to move it.

20231009_115115.jpg

20231009_155102.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I had some trees in the back yard that decided to grow in the wrong place. I figured I'd try moving them rather than just butchering them. I have about an 80% success rate doing this, so I'm hoping they all make it. The one was big enough I needed my little orange friend to move it.
How do you go about digging them out? My 'success' rate is closer to 50%

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Installed my Lown Performance grill guard, great quality, the mounting tabs were a tad wide, had to tappy tap them into place. L47 Grill Guard.jpg

Reactions: 5 users