Towing a 14' utility trailer for a hayride?

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
In high school part time and 5 years after I drove tractor for hayrides for the local pumpkin farm. I enjoy fall and everything it offers. The family of the farm were very nice and the equipment was well taken care of. After awhile dealing with the public just became too much. I've been running equipment since 7 years old so feel like I'm pretty experienced and knowledgeable but having the anxiety and fear that something would happen cause of an idiot and having your head on a swivel just wasn't fun anymore. There were numerous close calls I had and thanks to fast thinking avoided anything serious but parents not watching kids and having them dart in front of the tractor, families walking in between the tandem wagons, a mom having the kid lay in the tractor rim on the opposite side of where I couldn't see for a picture, people jumping off the wagon while moving ect.

Our place is the go to place for family gatherings. We do hayrides in the marsh area and fence lines. I'd never go on public roads and get asked to be parades and refuse. I usually pull the wagon with an antique tractor but wanted to show off the 2610 and pulled the wagon. I could tell that wasn't the right tractor for the job.

In my area every harvest time in the front page there's an article or 2 of a farmer hauling a wagon train of gravity boxes that got away from him and pushed him into the ditch. Yeah you can pull anything with a tractor but stopping and controlling it is another thing. A trailer vs a wagon is another factor too. A wagon you have the weight spread out a trailer you have to becareful of enough tongue weight........ I've seen a lot of campers and toy haulers whipping back in fourth on the road going up north from too much weight on the back.

I might be a bit bias after getting ran over and dragged while unchaining a skidloader off a trailer when a 16 year-old drove through my coned off area but it just takes 1 idiot not paying attention to ruin what was supposed to be a fun memorial time. Just an FYI in my experience the kid's parents basic insurance was easily used up after a helicopter ride and 2 weeks stay in a trauma center...........I'm still off of work recovering and doing pt after 2 years.......

With all that said imo if you need to ask if something is possible or a good idea it probably isn't............
20221023_093757~2.jpg

20221023_095820~2.jpg

20221023_130920.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Usually, when my wife says "thats not going to be safe" I know it will be fun!

• Haha

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
This post reminds me of my dad (lost him last year June) and grandpa. To me the memories are important. That’s what I’ll remember. If you don’t do anything I am not sure what the next gen would remember? What will they say when you are gone? I most certainly remember helping drive grandpas truck, learning to ride a bike without a helmet, riding in the loader tractor bucket and being lifted to the clouds (that was awesome as a little kid), riding a sled towed behind a tractor (mail boxes are no joke in that case) and riding on a wagon or trailer. The difference then was that stupid hurt (as it should) and decent people did not sue friends and neighbors. There are lot worse things people do to themselves and others daily without question.

Reactions: 6 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
And riding in the back of pick ups or station wagons (rear backwards facing seat) smelling all the leaded fuel exhaust in its ozone depleting glory.

• Haha
  • Wow

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Reading more and comments. I totally agree with the memory making and having fun and sometimes those out weigh the risk factor. Having my 7 year-old on equipment or the atv is a big risk factor seeing him doing stuff his city friends can't, seeing him smile, makes me smile, and it helps me out around the farm. In the back of my mind I do think of the what ifs . I think the topic is kind of getting away from the original question or thought of an over sized lawn mower pulling a tandem axel trailer which leads to the cycle of fun and memories but not the right tractor which could lead to a miss hap. Could it happen yes, what are the odds? Everyone thinks " no not me" it's interesting Reading yes and no replies on the thought. I personally wouldn't do from my farm experience hauling wagons, driving pick up truck with loaded fertilizer spreaders behind them, or a semi with a tanker and knowing how the towing vehicle can get played with if it's too small but that's just my opinions, if it was a bigger tractor a bigger more enclosed wagon with working lights I'd be more for it but it just doesn't seem like the right tractor or set up, all we can do is state our opinions and at the end of the day it won't be our guilt or insurance. I'm guilty of doing stupid stuff and cutting corners to save 1 or 2 seconds. Looking back of being in high school and a little past, I wonder how I made it past 23 some days, but comments or jokes of " hold my beer and watch this" isn't all that funny when something actually does happen to you, and you can't provide for your family, pay bills, or play with your kids like you use to . All that got taken away from me and the 16 year old driver on his phone not paying attention had no idea or care what he did and living his life just fine and normal. It comes down to in this situation using the right tool/tractor for the job.
Screenshot_20230912_195140_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230912_195858_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230912_195227_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
Oh, here’s a video of when I did it 🤩

I once towed a landscape trailer carrying probably a dozen and a half adults with by B2301 (using drawbar). The only part that was scary was turning downhill on grass I felt the trailer push me just a little. That I would avoid in the future!

If I were in your shoes, I would do it. (Except I don’t understand the lack of drawbar… I’d do it assuming I had a safe hitch of some sort.) Sure we live in a litigious society, but ya can’t do nothin’ for fear of a mishap and lawsuit, right?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I appreciate the opinions on both sides. I wasn't thinking I would get so many responses in either direction.
Be smart, don't drink, it'll be fine and fun.
I would rather show up at the old Pearly Gates with smoking tires and fuel leaking out o the rail saying "holy shit! Whatta ride!!" Than arrive safely at deaths door.

Reactions: 1 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Be smart, don't drink, it'll be fine and fun.
I would rather show up at the old Pearly Gates with smoking tires and fuel leaking out o the rail saying "holy shit! Whatta ride!!" Than arrive safely at deaths door.
I tried to think like that and I'd think it'd be best to " go" doing something you love. A million thoughts rushed through my mind in the seconds I heard the 16 year old accelerating towards me watching the cones getting stuck under his vehicle and the passenger side going up the trailer ramp. 1 was saying bye to the family, another was " wow am I really going to die at work?" On a lighter note getting dragged I was getting mad my brand new carhartt jeans were getting ripped and burned off but glad for some odd reason I didn't wear my tethered, ripped ones.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Reading more and comments. I totally agree with the memory making and having fun and sometimes those out weigh the risk factor. Having my 7 year-old on equipment or the atv is a big risk factor seeing him doing stuff his city friends can't, seeing him smile, makes me smile, and it helps me out around the farm. In the back of my mind I do think of the what ifs . I think the topic is kind of getting away from the original question or thought of an over sized lawn mower pulling a tandem axel trailer which leads to the cycle of fun and memories but not the right tractor which could lead to a miss hap. Could it happen yes, what are the odds? Everyone thinks " no not me" it's interesting Reading yes and no replies on the thought. I personally wouldn't do from my farm experience hauling wagons, driving pick up truck with loaded fertilizer spreaders behind them, or a semi with a tanker and knowing how the towing vehicle can get played with if it's too small but that's just my opinions, if it was a bigger tractor a bigger more enclosed wagon with working lights I'd be more for it but it just doesn't seem like the right tractor or set up, all we can do is state our opinions and at the end of the day it won't be our guilt or insurance. I'm guilty of doing stupid stuff and cutting corners to save 1 or 2 seconds. Looking back of being in high school and a little past, I wonder how I made it past 23 some days, but comments or jokes of " hold my beer and watch this" isn't all that funny when something actually does happen to you, and you can't provide for your family, pay bills, or play with your kids like you use to . All that got taken away from me and the 16 year old driver on his phone not paying attention had no idea or care what he did and living his life just fine and normal. It comes down to in this situation using the right tool/tractor for the job. View attachment 111445 View attachment 111446 View attachment 111447
any idea what happend with the green tractor ?

I'm assuming

the weight of the spreader pushed the tractor over as he wasn't going straight down the slope ?

The loader dumped too fast, onto the left side of the box ?

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
"breaking" or braking?

OP- you do realize that towing something with a BX in low range is frustratingly slow correct?
Braking, obviously. If you’re on pavement and you have to stop quickly, you’re gonna skid. Towing anything only makes the problem worse. Lock the front end in and now you have at least one front tire in the braking mix. I do it every time I haul my firewood trailer. I makes a big difference, especially braking decending grades.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
any idea what happend with the green tractor ?

I'm assuming

the weight of the spreader pushed the tractor over as he wasn't going straight down the slope ?

The loader dumped too fast, onto the left side of the box ?
The John Deere was on a busier high way towing a large disc. Someone climped the corner and pushed him out of control.

The ih was too small for the spreader even empty and got away going down the slope.

The loader was on scene to clean up the spilled grain. Too heavy of a load and then truck got away the farmer tried to stab brake, skidded and tipped.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The John Deere was on a busier high way towing a large disc. Someone climped the corner and pushed him out of control.

The ih was too small for the spreader even empty and got away going down the slope.

The loader was on scene to clean up the spilled grain. Too heavy of a load and then truck got away the farmer tried to stab brake, skidded and tipped.
Hopefully the operator of the IH bailed before it got to the point it is in the pic.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
IMHO: I would pull it with the truck and keep the lights on. Kids will love it anyways !
You gonna pull that gate up and down at every stop or have kids bail over the side?
At least on adult in the back to keep the little ones seated.

We walked miles on Halloween.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Hopefully the operator of the IH bailed before it got to the point it is in the pic.
Yup. He jumped shipped with 0 injuries. Steering wheel and muffler was the only damage on the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Just kind of curious what you decided to do and the results.

Reactions: 2 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Yeah I was wondering as well !
Fourms are great but it seems like when I'm being an internet or youtube mechanic and looking for an answer, most people post a question, members give suggestions, and the outcome/solution is never posted for others in a similar situation to know if it worked or not.

wprecanico

Equipment
Kubota B1700HD
Nov 25, 2023
Western Massachusetts
This is an interesting conversation. I just got a B1700HSD. I've already been asked about next year's hay rides. Hmmm... How does one go about determining towing capacity?