The dreaded post hole auger

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
Ah, so this didn't work.

First hole, it didn't want to feed. I brilliantly figured it just needed a little more weight so I put my fabricobbler hat on and modded the thing up right stupid.

20230923_155219.jpg

20230923_155229.jpg

20230923_155152.jpg

Basically just some 1" sch 80 that I welded on with a nut in the end and a T bolt to safety it. I threw a discarded brake drum on it and some old rotors.

Turns out there was a massive root in that hole. Hmm. Next hole it dug like crazy. But, can't pull the auger back out. Ditch the weight. Can't pull it out. Jackall it out. Try again, sticks again. Jackall again. Make sure I only go one revolution this time, still can't lift it. Jackall again, half turn, stuck.
Ahh. I guess I should have known since the piston is bypassing some for the 3 point lift. Or I assume so, it drops on its own.

So, I'm going to do something else and order some seals for the 3 point and try again later.

20230923_164408.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Ah, so this didn't work.

First hole, it didn't want to feed. I brilliantly figured it just needed a little more weight so I put my fabricobbler hat on and modded the thing up right stupid.

View attachment 112417
View attachment 112419
View attachment 112418

Basically just some 1" sch 80 that I welded on with a nut in the end and a T bolt to safety it. I threw a discarded brake drum on it and some old rotors.

Turns out there was a massive root in that hole. Hmm. Next hole it dug like crazy. But, can't pull the auger back out. Ditch the weight. Can't pull it out. Jackall it out. Try again, sticks again. Jackall again. Make sure I only go one revolution this time, still can't lift it. Jackall again, half turn, stuck.
Ahh. I guess I should have known since the piston is bypassing some for the 3 point lift. Or I assume so, it drops on its own.

So, I'm going to do something else and order some seals for the 3 point and try again later.

View attachment 112420
Try running the engine slow so it isn’t digging too fast. Lift up after you dig about a foot or so. my TPH stays up, so you may be right about the seal failing.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Hmm. That's too bad.

Picture had me realize it's on a B7100.

Take your shoulder destroying hand held auger, and fab a mount for it to mount to your loader. To the bucket, or forks, etc. Bolt that sucker on. Start it's little motor and go to town. Drill some holes in your forks and clamp it on. Etc. It will be dangerous. Have everyone stand back.

Just a thought I was considering for myself in the future.

Return your 3 point PHD.

Or go really slow as others mentioned with your 3 point PHD.

Last edited:

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
Hmm. That's too bad.

Picture had me realize it's on a B7100.

Take your shoulder destroying hand held auger, and fab a mount for it to mount to your loader. To the bucket, or forks, etc. Bolt that sucker on. Start it's little motor and go to town. Drill some holes in your forks and clamp it on. Etc. It will be dangerous. Have everyone stand back.

Just a thought I was considering for myself in the future.

Return your 3 point PHD.

Or go really slow as others mentioned with your 3 point PHD.
The funny thing was I initially debated attaching the 2 stroke auger to the bucket or making a mount for it. I unfortunately do not have a fork attachment that fits this tractor, which is too bad as making fork compatible attachments is generally easiest. I decided not to pursue it as the auger was on its way to destruction, part of it had already come off on a previous hole, and I figured with my luck the Chinesium engine would seize immediately after I finished fabricating the needed parts. In retrospect it would have been smarter, maybe, as my ability to fabricate real versions of bad ideas is pretty decent. I can't exactly return the 3 point PHD, as I welded a mount onto it, or at least I can't ethically return it.

Regardless, I have to fix the lift piston for the 3 point anyway. So I will do that before I do anything else. I think.

Or maybe I should just buy a bigger tractor. Hmm.

Edit, the other issue with the 2 stroke auger is that the auger wasn't long enough without putting an extension on, which causes problems with actually evacuating the material from the hole. But either way, what's done is done, I now own a 3 point PHD, so either I make that work or do something else, the world is my oyster to accidentally crush with my own stupidity.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The funny thing was I initially debated attaching the 2 stroke auger to the bucket or making a mount for it. I unfortunately do not have a fork attachment that fits this tractor, which is too bad as making fork compatible attachments is generally easiest. I decided not to pursue it as the auger was on its way to destruction, part of it had already come off on a previous hole, and I figured with my luck the Chinesium engine would seize immediately after I finished fabricating the needed parts. In retrospect it would have been smarter, maybe, as my ability to fabricate real versions of bad ideas is pretty decent. I can't exactly return the 3 point PHD, as I welded a mount onto it, or at least I can't ethically return it.

Regardless, I have to fix the lift piston for the 3 point anyway. So I will do that before I do anything else. I think.

Or maybe I should just buy a bigger tractor. Hmm.

Edit, the other issue with the 2 stroke auger is that the auger wasn't long enough without putting an extension on, which causes problems with actually evacuating the material from the hole. But either way, what's done is done, I now own a 3 point PHD, so either I make that work or do something else, the world is my oyster to accidentally crush with my own stupidity.
Bigger tractor. Very expensive.

Or hire a profession landscaper - post holer. A few hundred bucks... or so. (And watch them come out and do it with B7100 and a 3 point PHD. That would be my luck)... Ha!!!

How many holes do you need?

zoombats

Equipment
B8200, BX23S
Feb 2, 2019
penetanguishene ontario Canada
I have drilled holes all over Ontario for years installing pressure treated playground up rights. I used a Land pride(before Kubota acquired them) mounted on my B8200 Manual 3ph. I have dug in every kind of ground you can imagine and had success in most except prehistoric creek beds. They are impossible. I still have the B8200 manual and an HST and I have yet to try out the Land pride digger on the BX23s. I'll keep you posted although I don't see a lot of holes in my future.

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
Bigger tractor. Very expensive.

Or hire a profession landscaper - post holer. A few hundred bucks... or so. (And watch them come out and do it with B7100 and a 3 point PHD. That would be my luck)... Ha!!!

How many holes do you need?
I'm too stubborn to hire people. That said, if I had thought this out in the spring there might have been time to find someone. Everyone who does any sort of work like that has a huge lead time, so it's too late now to get it done before the ground freezes, and they will charge absurd amounts because they can. There's been a serious labour shortage here for a while.

I have about 40 more I'd like to do, maybe 50 tops. I only plan to do 6 more this year though. They already stopped selling posts in anticipation of the ground being frozen, so I literally can't buy more.

I think this should work if I replace the seals. At the same time I can just accept this project is being left for next year, like I said I can't even buy more posts anyway... It's not like the ones I have will go bad if they're not planted in the ground.

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
I have drilled holes all over Ontario for years installing pressure treated playground up rights. I used a Land pride(before Kubota acquired them) mounted on my B8200 Manual 3ph. I have dug in every kind of ground you can imagine and had success in most except prehistoric creek beds. They are impossible. I still have the B8200 manual and an HST and I have yet to try out the Land pride digger on the BX23s. I'll keep you posted although I don't see a lot of holes in my future.
I do think this should work, I just need to fix my tractor

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I have wanted a PHD since I got my tractor, but EVERYONE tells me I need a minimum of 20hp for a PHD.
Which I don't have.
(sigh)
If I only ran attachments that my tractor was rated to run I wouldn't have any attachments left.

Reactions: 2 users

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
That's a lot more money. :oops:
It is.
And you have to have/install a 3rd function valve as well.
I'll save some cash installing that myself.

But the time/hassle savings are worth it IMO.
I won't have to remove my backhoe to use it.
It attaches directly to the pallet fork mount I have. Which is on a SSQA.
I don't have to worry about having to back it out by hand(I have a lot of digging in tree roots and probably rocks).
IMO the tractor is much more mobile using front equipment vs rear.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
or you can use one of your rear remotes, if you have them

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
or you can use one of your rear remotes, if you have them
You know, I never thought of that. Thanks!
I have a backhoe so I could probably run it off those?
May get a little awkward but it's worth a shot.
I'll have to get custom hoses, right? Or is that something I can find off the shelf?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
You know, I never thought of that. Thanks!
I have a backhoe so I could probably run it off those?
May get a little awkward but it's worth a shot.
I'll have to get custom hoses, right? Or is that something I can find off the shelf?
I have 3 rear remotes. I just ran a pair of hoses under the tractor to the fel. 1st mounted a piece of strut to serve as an anchor point for fittings.

strut mounted.JPG

Then

front hoses connected - bird dogger's bracket.jpg

and a place to disconnect if I ever want to drop the fel

hoses connected at fel.jpg

20210916_155559_resized.jpg

The valves are mounted on the right fender with the levers facing forward

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
I put new seals in this thing and went back to augering holes.

20231010_213036.jpg

20231010_213110.jpg

20231010_215629.jpg

I did try to clean the bore up with some 400 grit and sandpaper, but ahh, it probably needs to be bored/sleeved/chromed or whatever is the appropriate repair to last. It didn't statically bypass with the basic hand cleanup and new o-ring and backup ring.

It did okay with the 6" auger to do post holes. It still didn't like to eject the material, and I realized the design of the auger is poor. You do need to run it fairly fast and go up and down a few times to help clean it out. Overall I was reasonably happy with how it did with the 6" and I think I could tweak (with and angle grinder and welder) the auger to be less stupid, and it probably would work pretty well. I finished up all the posts I have, and all I plan to do this year, then switched to the 9" because I needed to do some Sonotubes. It struggled.

20231014_153323.jpg

20231014_153335.jpg

20231014_153750.jpg

I had to clean the holes out by hand partially after they were about a foot deep, and it got progressively worse at pulling the auger out as I went at it. After 6 of the 9" holes I noticed the 3 point was back to creeping down on its own. It did however go a lot better than digging them by hand, having done that a bunch in the past.

I don't think that the 3 point has the jam to work the 9" auger, it's just too heavy, plus having 20-50lbs of weight on it would have really helped and that was not even remotely possible. I may try sending the transmission top case out for repair, or even worse do it myself (I think I can fixture it in my mill, but ehhh) if I can find a suitable sleeve. I don't think it will matter though, it needs an external lift cylinder to help it out, and if I do that it might as well have power downfeed. There was no issues with the engine not having enough power though.

Bottom line, I firmly believe a B7100 can do this, it's just that you might not want to deal with it, and it might be pretty hard on the ol' girl.

Reactions: 2 users