Still not impressed with my Dealer

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I had noticed that in the last couple of months or so, I had to add hydraulic oil to transmission almost every time I was going to mow. It never ran empty but I had to add about a a pint to keep it within the hash marks of the dipstick. In the past the level was a bit high and it always stayed there. I assumed that it might have been weather related since we had many more cooler days than last year.
About a month ago, I found oil sitting on the floor board behind the FEL four port quick connect. I called the dealer and explained the issue and they sent the truck to pick it up. I again explained to the driver the issue and pointed to the oily rubber mat. They had the tractor for several days and I had to call to find out what was going on. They told me that they had to order a part for the third function hydraulics 🤔. After 10 days they delivered the tractor saying it was fixed with no paperwork. The driver said that they would email the paperwork. Days later I called to get the email which I have not received yet.
Today I had the mower deck off for some maintenance and got underneath the tractor and it was unbelievably filthy. The transmission, filter, fan shield etc. were coated with a mixture of oil, dirt and clippings. So, I figured that was the leak the dealer talked about that they fixed but did not bother to clean. I cleaned the mess and put the tractor in the Sun to dry and then noticed that I had a new oil spot on my floor board by the quick connect.
I called the dealer, I told them my name and that my tractor had been there for ten days to fix a leak....the guy tried to pass me off to another guy and I had to wait. He finally got back to me and started rambling that "they have to order parts and it will take several more days until my tractor is ready". I told him "my tractor is in front of me .... I still have the original leak that I called about from the beginning". Then he said "Oh there is another BX1880 we are working on, they all look alike, they are all orange.... but I remember yours, it was spraying oil all over the transmission and the fan was making a mess, I even have a video of it". Apparently the tech had just tightened a fitting, not sure if any parts were replaced.
Now they are picking up the tractor again on Monday.....

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the issues you are having are not common, although they happen. Nobody's perfect.

There is a huge demand for GOOD techs all over the USA, and with all brands, Deere, Kubota, MF, Kioti, all of them. Guys just getting into the business want to fix cars--because that's where the money and "glory" is. The guys who go into tractor fixing? My old boss (at kubota dealer, they had 10 stores) said that if they drug tested everyone at all the dealerships, 80% of them would fail and be gone. That--is a problem among all types of places. Drug use (illegal or Rx abuse) is rampant and it shows. Place I work at now, no drug abusers at all, and THAT shows. Alcohol is a different but similar story. Put the drug users and alcohol users together in a dealer and you have a recipe for exactly what you are going through. And it don't end with the techs, also affected are general managers salespeople pars people lot porters everyone. My old boss was a drunk which was mainly why I quit the job. They didn't pay me all that much but I had low bills, I don' t drink or smoke or any other drug, so that saves me thousands a year in itself. Saw it all the time over at the other place, other tech would go through 2 packs a day and at least a case. What's that? $25 a day? 7 days a week. 365 days a year. That's what? $9200 a year or something like that?

/rant--sorry for getting off topic. Just what I see, industry wide and it sucks for everyone.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Guys just getting into the business want to fix cars--because that's where the money and "glory" is.
🤣🤣🤣 But yes its the same issue in the auto world too. Glad I got in when I did because it could be overwhelming with the amount of tech crap on newer vehicles. Not many want to spend the hundreds of hours doing the training and invest the $1000s of dollars in tools to do the job.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I had noticed that in the last couple of months or so, I had to add hydraulic oil to transmission almost every time I was going to mow. It never ran empty but I had to add about a a pint to keep it within the hash marks of the dipstick. In the past the level was a bit high and it always stayed there. I assumed that it might have been weather related since we had many more cooler days than last year.
About a month ago, I found oil sitting on the floor board behind the FEL four port quick connect. I called the dealer and explained the issue and they sent the truck to pick it up. I again explained to the driver the issue and pointed to the oily rubber mat. They had the tractor for several days and I had to call to find out what was going on. They told me that they had to order a part for the third function hydraulics 🤔. After 10 days they delivered the tractor saying it was fixed with no paperwork. The driver said that they would email the paperwork. Days later I called to get the email which I have not received yet.
Today I had the mower deck off for some maintenance and got underneath the tractor and it was unbelievably filthy. The transmission, filter, fan shield etc. were coated with a mixture of oil, dirt and clippings. So, I figured that was the leak the dealer talked about that they fixed but did not bother to clean. I cleaned the mess and put the tractor in the Sun to dry and then noticed that I had a new oil spot on my floor board by the quick connect.
I called the dealer, I told them my name and that my tractor had been there for ten days to fix a leak....the guy tried to pass me off to another guy and I had to wait. He finally got back to me and started rambling that "they have to order parts and it will take several more days until my tractor is ready". I told him "my tractor is in front of me .... I still have the original leak that I called about from the beginning". Then he said "Oh there is another BX1880 we are working on, they all look alike, they are all orange.... but I remember yours, it was spraying oil all over the transmission and the fan was making a mess, I even have a video of it". Apparently the tech had just tightened a fitting, not sure if any parts were replaced.
Now they are picking up the tractor again on Monday.....
I've never experienced a dealership that impressed me but some are certainly worse than others.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

HighMoon

Equipment
L5740, 854 Loader, LandPride Gapple, Maschio Tiller, New Holland Flail Mower, et
Jan 27, 2021
U.P. Michigan
You got off lucky, only 10 days! I mean that in all seriousness. A dealer had mine for over 80 days. I lost complete use of it over the growing season because they couldn't effectively troubleshoot an intermittant sensor failure problem. I won't go into the story or bore anyone with the details, but I will tell you a big part of the problem is that Kubota USA grades every dealer on their national technical support interactions. Lower graded dealers get penalized with lower priority for national tech support resources. The dealer service manager worked his ass off but he didn't get the support he needed from Kubota USA to solve the problem quickly. He had to follow Kubota USA "protocol" to maintain his grading with national tech support. That dragged the whole thing out. One other thing. Don't be afraid to call Kubota USA and open a customer experience incident with them, and keep calling them to put the pressure on them to support the dealer doing the work. If I wouldn't have done that it probably would have gone on a lot longer than it did.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Don't be afraid to call Kubota USA and open a customer experience incident with them, and keep calling them to put the pressure on them to support the dealer doing the work. If I wouldn't have done that it probably would have gone on a lot longer than it did.
Thanks, I will keep it mind. Fortunately, my equipment issue is not as critical as yours was.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I found oil sitting on the floor board behind the FEL four port quick connect

This sounds like the well known problem with the new style coupler. Though I've never personally seen it as my loader's never been off, there is no permanent 'fix' ,just replace the orings,reconnect. I'm sure someone here can 'walk you through the how-do-do-it' proceedure. 1st step would be to clean the tractor really,really good to get rid of all oil of course.
As for the poor performance at the dealership, I assume it was free service( under warranty ) ? If not find another 'colour' dealer, even a 'small engine repair' shop.Heck a local 'car mechanic' can replace orings, even an HVAC guy. You don't really need a Kubota dealer for this repair.
As for the 'can't get good help' problem..eliminate the 'free cheese' programs and the people WILL soon learn if you do a good job, you get a good paycheck, if you don't..you go to bed hungry.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You got off lucky, only 10 days! I mean that in all seriousness. A dealer had mine for over 80 days. I lost complete use of it over the growing season because they couldn't effectively troubleshoot an intermittant sensor failure problem. I won't go into the story or bore anyone with the details, but I will tell you a big part of the problem is that Kubota USA grades every dealer on their national technical support interactions. Lower graded dealers get penalized with lower priority for national tech support resources. The dealer service manager worked his ass off but he didn't get the support he needed from Kubota USA to solve the problem quickly. He had to follow Kubota USA "protocol" to maintain his grading with national tech support. That dragged the whole thing out. One other thing. Don't be afraid to call Kubota USA and open a customer experience incident with them, and keep calling them to put the pressure on them to support the dealer doing the work. If I wouldn't have done that it probably would have gone on a lot longer than it did.

yup that is a big problem.

At the training center 2 years ago, I expressed my concern with the policy. Told the divisional service manager, and the area service reps that the practice will be counterproductive. Their thought process was to ease the load on the tech service center (TSC) by reducing call and online case volume. One other note I left for them was that the TSC never impressed me anyway. Every single time I've called them I've never gotten a good clear answer, telling me that their 'system' is flawed. They need to look at Deere's DTAC system for guidance. It flat works. Deere isn't perfect by any means, they all have their problems but the grading system is a piss poor way to "help" (penalize) dealer techs. It used to work pretty good although again I never had much luck with tsc. I've seen firsthand how their system works and yes it sucks. Plain and simple. How bad was it? Before I left, I had techs from at least 10 other dealers contacting me at least once a week for answers. As a 30 year tech I got that often from both customers and other dealers. I felt honored but at the same time it became kind of a hindrance having to walk to the other side of the dealership to answer a phone call that seemed (to me) simple. But now looking back, it wasn't such a pain--it was an honor. On that note sometimes techs will find more accurate, faster, and in most cases BETTER tech support from other seasoned techs, than they will from the manufacturer's "tech support".

A good example is Polaris. I'm working at a place that sells Polaris stuff and one thing I see on the Polaris system is a deal called "tech tips". One can login to the dealer system and go into tech tips where they'll find answers to questions. A lot of the questions and answers are sort of elementary but the answers from good techs is good information. It is in a forum format sorta like this one. Admins at Polaris monitor it, for instance if someone gets in there & asks how to change a spark plug, it's going to get deleted. Works slick. Imprefect but a lot better than Kubota's garbage.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have a pretty fool-proof method that I use to get things done on my stuff quickly, correctly the first time.

It works pretty well. Are you ready to learn the secret?

It's called "TIPPING". You know, "To Insure Promptness". ;) Unlike tipping your waitress AFTER your dinner, tipping should be done up front with your service tech. Try it, it tends to produce desirable results.

How do I know? Well, I was an auto tech for many of my younger years and I was on the receiving end of this arrangement many times. A customer that buy's you lunch usually gets the extra attention you desire. I always took great care of those that were kind.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a pretty fool-proof method that I use to get things done on my stuff quickly, correctly the first time.

It's called "TIPPING". You know, "To Insure Promptness". ;) Unlike tipping your waitress AFTER your dinner, tipping should be done up front with your service tech. Try it, it tends to produce desirable results.

How do I know? Well, I was an auto tech for many of my younger years and I was on the receiving end of this arrangement many times. A customer that buy's you lunch usually gets the extra attention you desire. I always took great care of those that were kind.
I take a dim view of “bribing”.

I took pride in my work-product and was paid well for it. When a customer/client tried to “tip” me, I always refused to succumb to bribery or “reward” by telling them, “No Thank You... Mr. Adams pays me very well, Thank you Anyway!” I never wanted my boss to think I’d provide anything but the Best Service to AnyOne and Every One.
It ”paid off” with better wages and treatment from my employer, every time, and it allowed me to keep my dignity.

Reactions: 5 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I take a dim view of “bribing”.

I took pride in my work-product and was paid well for it. When a customer/client tried to “tip” me, I always refused to succumb to bribery or “reward” by telling them, “No Thank You... Mr. Adams pays me very well, Thank you Anyway!” I never wanted my boss to think I’d provide anything but the Best Service to AnyOne and Every One.
It ”paid off” with better wages and treatment from my employer, every time, and it allowed me to keep my dignity.
A tip is not a bribe.

Your boss paid you because he was required to by law. If he wants his service/offering to compete with others, he will pay accordingly. It is to his benefit.

I routinely tip for good services rendered. Their boss pays them as well (required by law) but it doesn't hurt to let them know personally that you appreciate their effort for you.

I couldn't imagine the service people I have tipped taking it as a bribe and the tip has never been refused. I would actually wonder how else the guy screwed me if he was refusing a tip on a job well done - guilty conscience?

HighMoon

Equipment
L5740, 854 Loader, LandPride Gapple, Maschio Tiller, New Holland Flail Mower, et
Jan 27, 2021
U.P. Michigan
yup that is a big problem.
On that note sometimes techs will find more accurate, faster, and in most cases BETTER tech support from other seasoned techs, than they will from the manufacturer's "tech support".
Nice to hear an insiders perspective. I think customers tend to hang the blame on the dealer, it is natural as that is where they have their service experience. But often I find with little probing that the dealer techs are often the heros and it is the overall service system they are stuck in that is the problem. They are forced to work around the system to better serve their customer. I have found it helpful to help them by escalating problems in a way that doesn't damage their credibility. I usually warn the service manager when I am going above his head and try to have an in-depth conversation with him/her before doing that. I ask them point blank what are the obstacles to getting the service done and what help they need to address those obstacles. Then I go to corporate and I let them know that I and they have a problem and they need to step up and help their dealer.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well George, to each their own. I don't believe that most techs are paid all that well anymore. I'm a very generous person as I have been quite fortunate in life. I see no harm in showing someone my appreciation in what they do. Since I can afford to buy them lunch, I will.

Perhaps, I should have worded it differently...by expressing your appreciation (how you do that is entirely up to you) you tend to have better outcomes.

NHS- thanks. My thoughts exactly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
In my view... the difference between a ”tip” and a “bribe” is WHEN it is offered. The suggestion offered by “dirtydeed” was a bribe because he said it should be done “up front”. THAT in my opinion is a BRIBE.

Tips are not wrong. I tip when I‘ve received good service or service “beyond” the expected. It’s especially appropriate in certain jobs that rely upon Tips as part of regular-income such as waiters, cabby’s, bell-hops, etc. It’s a way of expressing thankfulness.

In my own career...(as a corporate pilot) I just never accepted them. In air-taxi and charter-work it became common for passengers to “tip” the flight crew after a nice or especially challenging flight with weather, etc. ... but I was salaried and viewed it as embarrassing to accept a Tip for doing what I was paid to do... and I didn’t want my employer to ever have the sense that his employees were “on the take”. MY flight crew followed my example.

Money paid in-advance in expectation or to encourage ”extra” service... is a “Bribe”. Not a “thank you”.

Reactions: 3 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Money paid in-advance in expectation or to encourage ”extra” service... is a “Bribe”. Not a “thank you”.
According to you, and if that is how you provided it for "extra" service.

I thank people in advance of helping me all the time. If I ever had to take my tractor to the dealer (20+ years now with two different machines no dealer service needed), it would be for something over my head. I would have no problem throwing the tech going over my problem with me on my tractor a 20 for lunch. Not for "extra" service, just the excellent service I expected when I brought it to them.

But yes, worded like you did, it would be a bribe.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I keep reading about these dealer problems around here, and it makes me very grateful to have found a good dealer who really tries to take care of his customers. Looks like I got really lucky.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
My issue with the dealer is from day 1. They had one unit in stock that looked like it had been sitting there for a long time. When they gave me the estimate on purchasing the tractor with the FEL, MMM and grapple with R4 tires. I thought that they knew something I did not. So, I accepted the offer but I told them I was paying for the grapple separately, not to include it in the loan. They claimed that tractor had to be ordered and it would take several weeks. They even told me that they had to "detail" the tractor before delivery.
Guess what I got. When the tractor showed up it had the grapple installed and R1 tires and it had rust in a bunch of areas, the plastic was faded and so on. I was disappointed but I took it thinking "its not a car". They gave me the invoice and the paper work and it did not have a word about R1 tires or otherwise nor anything about the standard nor extended warranty. Weeks later I had to call them to get my receipt for the grapple that I paid cash for.
About a month later I tried to get the throttle lever handle replaced since the sun had damaged it and the same with steering rod end boots. They told me they had no parts because they had been bought out by a large chain. Finally, months later, for the 50 hour service they got that corrected they charged almost $300 and I think all they did was transportation, the engine oil and filter plus the warranty work.
I am still trying to get the paperwork on the work they did to correct the leak to figure what they did. At least it was all free including the transportation.
So, it seems that it is a systemic problem, they are too laid back and the change in ownership has not improved a thing.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I was disappointed but I took it thinking "its not a car".

sadly they 'played you like a violin'.. they KNEW you'd settle for a dull,demo unit NOT the brand new shiny one you PAID for. You COULD have walked away from the 'deal'...but you and them KNEW you wouldn't...

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD

Bingo! Best case in point..... Had a 27' pontoon with a 90 HP merc. The coil went out two days before the 4th of July. I had a butt load of family coming to visit and the "river" was going to be my babysitter. Took the boat to the shop.... service manager said could not get to it for four weeks.
I told the service manager I understood .... however can I suggest something? Told him I was willing to more than pay for the tech's overtime and seeing as how it was almost a holiday I'd sweet'n the pot even more...... a cah tip if I could have it back by Saturday. This was on a Wednesday.... Friday morning got a call at my office... the boat motor was done and ready for pick up. Got charged by the shop flat rate plus parts. The cash tip went to the manager and lead tech as they worked in the shop after hours (11:30 PM) to get it done.... tips can make the world spin more smoothly.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Butch, I agree 100%. My wife owned a business and a commerical building with rental offices. She was responsible for several things there, but she told me about the first time she gave the trash pick up guy a tip. He was reluctant to accept it. Apparently it was not a common occurrence! She told him how she appreciated his work, always on time, never complained, even picked up anything left outside the dumpster.

She never had any trouble with that service.... that is until it was sold to WM and then that would be chapter two, with a different outcome.

We live in the country and she also tips the mail man with a box of candy and a card at Christmas. People appreciate knowing others see the good in them.