Small complaints ???

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Well I just assumed (my mistake) that they checked everything prior to delivering the unit but they didnt check the tires for sure. Now my tires being the R-1s then they might have been contracted out to the local Farmers Coop but still...
Anyway I thought that I would check the tire pressure to make sure it was close and both the front tires had 55 psi...wow.
So I bled the pressure off down to 25 psi and though disappointed, problem has been solved.
Now I drive the tractor so that the valve stem on the rear tires are at the highest 12 oclock position and as soon as I start to check both tires solid liquid continues to spew out as soon as I check.
I know the trans/hydraulic level, and engine oil level is good as Ive checked them but it sure makes me wonder what else has been shortcut or neglected on. For example my seat fell off with me driving the tractor earlier today because there was no cotter pin in the end of the shaft that retains the seat, the one that it swivels on and so I fixed it, scary but problem solved. I have yet to check the front drive fluid level because now I wonder. When I received this unit, it had one tenth of an hour so they either sold me one with several hours and then replaced the hour meter prior to delivery or it was never properly checked out, you pick.
I was on a natural positive high with this tractor and I know things could be worse but stupid shit like this makes me question the dealer thus the tractor. Anyway according to what Im reading there should not be that much fluid in the rear tires so should I call the dealer and complain about these issues and at least make them aware, or is there a simple quick fix for the rear tires ?

Last edited:

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
If the tires are indeed completely full, a portion of the fluid needs to be removed. They are most often filled to the top of the rim. You need some good , old compressible air in there for a number of reasons.

I would make a complete list of the things you have found and request that the tractor be PDI'd (Pre-Delivery Inspection) as it should have been before you took possession. Be polite but stand firm. Talk to a manager and record their name. At some point you will receive a post sale survey in the mail or a phone call asking how the experience was for you.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
SO I am to presume this is a brand new machine, if so yeah make a list and let them know how unhappy you are, they may or may not do anything,, some dealers are pretty stand up people others ahhh not so much. The other thing and I am not making any kind of excuse is they have kids that dont know a hammer from a screwdriver doing simple things before they go out. And sometimes nobody follows up to see if the check list was done. But yes if its now the dealer would get an ear full

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
If the tires are indeed completely full, a portion of the fluid needs to be removed. They are most often filled to the top of the rim. You need some good , old compressible air in there for a number of reasons.

I would make a complete list of the things you have found and request that the tractor be PDI'd (Pre-Delivery Inspection) as it should have been before you took possession. Be polite but stand firm. Talk to a manager and record their name. At some point you will receive a post sale survey in the mail or a phone call asking how the experience was for you.
Interesting info and thanks, will do.

SO I am to presume this is a brand new machine, if so yeah make a list and let them know how unhappy you are, they may or may not do anything,, some dealers are pretty stand up people others ahhh not so much. The other thing and I am not making any kind of excuse is they have kids that dont know a hammer from a screwdriver doing simple things before they go out. And sometimes nobody follows up to see if the check list was done. But yes if its now the dealer would get an ear full
Sonds great and thanks.
Yes its new unit that had one tenth of an hour on the meter. So from my understanding it was either not properly checked or had unknown amount of hours and then they changed the hour meter.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My position with the dealer would more of a detective mode. Remember columbo? You approach them with questions you already know the answers to.

So for fluid in tires I would ask, "When you sell a new tractor do you guys put the fluid in or have someone else do it?" Then ask, "Do you put the fluid in while the tire is on the tractor of off?" "How do you know how much fluid to put in?" Soon, they'll ask why all the question? Then you can tell them what you discovered about the quantity of fluid.

"What about tire pressure? How much should be in the tires? I found 55 PSI, should I let some out?"

You soon get the correct answers, and they get to save face and solve the problems, and they get to realize where the problem is in their process.

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
My position with the dealer would more of a detective mode. Remember columbo? You approach them with questions you already know the answers to.

So for fluid in tires I would ask, "When you sell a new tractor do you guys put the fluid in or have someone else do it?" Then ask, "Do you put the fluid in while the tire is on the tractor of off?" "How do you know how much fluid to put in?" Soon, they'll ask why all the question? Then you can tell them what you discovered about the quantity of fluid.

"What about tire pressure? How much should be in the tires? I found 55 PSI, should I let some out?"

You soon get the correct answers, and they get to save face and solve the problems, and they get to realize where the problem is in their process.
D2Cat,

I nominate you for this year's most entertaining answer in a technical forum. :)

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN

Well said and I agree. I will see how things go tomorrow. Thanks

D2Cat,

I nominate you for this year's most entertaining answer in a technical forum. :)
No doubt. Lol

D2Cat receives the diplomacy award and, my admiration. I am more of a 'WTF' type and that is often not the best approach. :)
Agreed and I try to show the same respect that I expect in return and that can be difficult at times due to different circumstances and these qualify when combined with how long I had to wait to get the unit and the salesman's attitude a few times during the process which I wont disclose at this time. Thanks

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
D2Cat receives the diplomacy award and, my admiration. I am more of a 'WTF' type and that is often not the best approach. :)
I'm a mix....I always start out 'Cat's way, but sometimes end up in the WTF mode because I don't communicate as well as Cat when I'm pissed.....:(

Fortunately, out in the sticks like we are, I'm often dealing with someone I've known/done business with for years. The WTF doesn't have to come out too often:).... couple of those can see it coming....:mad:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’m with skeets and d2,I know it’s frustrating buying something new and having issues with it right away. I’m in the car dealership world,realize it is a lot different then the tractor world in that we get new vehicles already assembled unlike tractors finally assembly at the dealer,but we are responsible for doing the pdi to make sure it’s good to go,but like skeets said there are low paid kids doing this in most places which is unfortunate but the dealer can’t afford to pay their top guys to spend time on that instead of making money.with that tho unfortunately things can arise (granted your problems seem more dealer related),but as d2 said,be inquisitive and mostly respectful (at least the first time),as the dealer we don’t build them,we are the middle man between the manufacturer and you the customer,can’t speak for every dealer employee but I will do everything I can to help but if a customer comes in and acts like an a$$ about it it’s not to high on my priority list.if the dealer takes care of you the first time the respect will go a long way in future dealings with them.if they don’t take care of you then that’s a different story lol,then it’s wtf mode

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The rear tire might be right, some tires require you to lay them down and fill them, then when lifted the fluid level is higher than the valve stem.
If they filled them by size and chart of fluid fill this is very likely the case. ;)

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I'm a mix....I always start out 'Cat's way, but sometimes end up in the WTF mode because I don't communicate as well as Cat when I'm pissed.....:(

Fortunately, out in the sticks like we are, I'm often dealing with someone I've known/done business with for years. The WTF doesn't have to come out too often:).... couple of those can see it coming....:mad:
More I think about it the closer Im getting to WTF. Thanks
I***8217;m with skeets and d2,I know it***8217;s frustrating buying something new and having issues with it right away. I***8217;m in the car dealership world,realize it is a lot different then the tractor world in that we get new vehicles already assembled unlike tractors finally assembly at the dealer,but we are responsible for doing the pdi to make sure it***8217;s good to go,but like skeets said there are low paid kids doing this in most places which is unfortunate but the dealer can***8217;t afford to pay their top guys to spend time on that instead of making money.with that tho unfortunately things can arise (granted your problems seem more dealer related),but as d2 said,be inquisitive and mostly respectful (at least the first time),as the dealer we don***8217;t build them,we are the middle man between the manufacturer and you the customer,can***8217;t speak for every dealer employee but I will do everything I can to help but if a customer comes in and acts like an a$$ about it it***8217;s not to high on my priority list.if the dealer takes care of you the first time the respect will go a long way in future dealings with them.if they don***8217;t take care of you then that***8217;s a different story lol,then it***8217;s wtf mode
We will have to see. Thanks
The rear tire might be right, some tires require you to lay them down and fill them, then when lifted the fluid level is higher than the valve stem.
If they filled them by size and chart of fluid fill this is very likely the case. ;)
Thanks for that info, Kabota shows the tires should be 75% full. So you are saying that if done correctly I might still have fluid coming out of the valve stem at its highest point ? Im curious as to what you would do in this situation...Interesting

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
What about the fact that it had one tenth of an hour on it when I got it ?
Does this make any sense ?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Mine had .2 hrs on it when I picked her up. They handed me the pre-inspection sheet which was filled out with check marks and asked me to sign it. I verbally asked if all was taken care of but never got around to actually checking everything myself. I assumed the .2 hrs was normal, should they have ran it longer in order to check everything? I do plan on going over everything when I do my first 10 hr greasing this weekend. Mudball, I don't expect you to call out the dealer on this forum, but I noticed you're in TN and was curious as to which dealer. If you don't mind, could you send me a pm if it was anywhere near Knoxville? Good luck with getting answers and with the new 2501.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Mine had .2 hrs on it when I picked her up. They handed me the pre-inspection sheet which was filled out with check marks and asked me to sign it. I verbally asked if all was taken care of but never got around to actually checking everything myself. I assumed the .2 hrs was normal, should they have ran it longer in order to check everything? I do plan on going over everything when I do my first 10 hr greasing this weekend. Mudball, I don't expect you to call out the dealer on this forum, but I noticed you're in TN and was curious as to which dealer. If you don't mind, could you send me a pm if it was anywhere near Knoxville? Good luck with getting answers and with the new 2501.
I would think that it would have more than .1 or .2 hours to properly check but Ive never bought a new tractor before. Not to insinuate that neither you, I, or anyone else with these low of hours werent properly checked but, here is answers from several others where I posted this question before that contradict the hours that we have. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37338
I will send you a PM in reference to my dealer.

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Just talked to the salesman and told him about the check list (I never received), seat issue, tire issues and he expressed no remorse what so ever and offered virtually no help. He did agree that 55lbs was too much pressure for the front tires. He said that all the tires were already mounted when the tractor left from the warehouse in GA., so when it arrived at the dealer, the dealer filled the rear tires with fluid. He said I should be completely fine whether they are over filled or not.
This is in no way imo, related to the quality of Kubota but rather my salesman and whoever checked my tractor at my local dealership.
He said he wouldnt worry about it, if it was him. Maybe he is right, I dont know. Is this true ? Just dont worry about the level of the fluid ?
I felt that I was very cordial about it and I asked him that I would like to have a definite answer as to the proper level and how it could be resolved but I dont expect an answer at this point based on his attitude and response.
Asking for suggestions at this point. Dont worry about the fluid level in the rear tires, as he said ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's dealers like that, that makes Kubota look bad!

If you want you could drain the tires down till you get air, Jack up the rear so it does not have weight on the tire when you do it.

I personally would just check pressure with a fluid compatible tire gauge and call it good, but I like any extra weight I can get, and don't need a soft ride. ;)

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
It's dealers like that, that makes Kubota look bad!

If you want you could drain the tires down till you get air, Jack up the rear so it does not have weight on the tire when you do it.

I personally would just check pressure with a fluid compatible tire gauge and call it good, but I like any extra weight I can get, and don't need a soft ride. ;)
Im not so sure its the dealer as much, as it is the salesman with his complacency to address the issues, but I understand what you are saying.
Your suggestion about what to do about the tires sounds like a great idea and I didnt know there was such a thing as a fluid compatible air gauge.
Thanks for the knowledge and help.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Have any way to document this stuff formally? I'd do that, along with the dealer response. That way if you end up with issues/repairs down the line that you believe were due to their decisions/reactions you have something other than your word vs theirs.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I'd give him 24 hours to get back to you. After that, I would make another call and ask to speak with the store manager or owner and share the chain of events with them. They need to be aware of what is going on. I would request a copy of the PDI list and go through each item, at home, on my own. Your salesman should be creating a relationship with you that benefits the customer (you) AND the dealership.