Skidding Winch Recommendation

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Shipping weight was 775lb. Take some off for the lightweight wood pallet and I’d guess somewhere a bit north of 750lb. There’s a good bit of steel there.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Um... I successfully moved a lot of timber out of the bush without a skidding winch... I kind of coveted a winch at times and it would have been quicker in some situations... But I didn't want to spend that kind of money...

What worked well for me was several dead man pullies, a couple 100 meter (330ft) expired roofers safety ropes, and plenty of web slings and shackles.. It wasn't as fast as having a skidding winch maybe, but was not hard to make multiple riggings to move timber.. It just took more time.. ...This all on the cheap...
My 5 cents of experience..

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Um... I successfully moved a lot of timber out of the bush without a skidding winch... I kind of coveted a winch at times and it would have been quicker in some situations... But I didn't want to spend that kind of money...

What worked well for me was several dead man pullies, a couple 100 meter (330ft) expired roofers safety ropes, and plenty of web slings and shackles.. It wasn't as fast as having a skidding winch maybe, but was not hard to make multiple riggings to move timber.. It just took more time.. ...This all on the cheap...
My 5 cents of experience..
If you read any of the thread you know that’s exactly what I’ve been doing for a few decades. If that’s 100% meeting your needs, I wouldn’t suggest buying a winch or anything else to address a problem you don’t have. It’s money and it’s another thing taking up space when not in use.

A few years from now, I may look back and regret spending the money on it. Or maybe I look back and wonder how I got along all those years without it. I got to the point I was willing to take that risk. 🤷‍♂️

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
View attachment 121014
Now all I need is for it to stop raining for a couple of days so I can put it to work. That and make a dolly for it so I can take it off at some point. 🙂
You will really like having it. I have a JL290 winch I bought about 8 years ago and it is very handy. Took me a little bit to get used to the fact that I couldn’t pull as much as my Timberjack 225E or JD450E used to pull when we logged at the farm. But once I figured out what was the right amount of wood for my tractor and winch, things go smoothly.

Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
That looks like a great winch, I love my Farmi winch, it really does a lot of work for me. Good luck with it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
View attachment 120936
Wife and I went on a brief road trip today to pick up a Farmi W50R from the nearest XPO Logistics hub. Mike with Northeast Implement (https://northeastimplement.com/) was very helpful. Provided detailed dimensions on the 50R and 35R (50R was clearly a better fit). Provided a quote that was substantially less than the Wallenstein FX85.

Didn’t have time to do anything past getting it off my truck and into a shop bay. Supposed to rain the next several days so should be a good opportunity to get it set up and make some sort of storage dolly for it.

Thanks to all who provided input!

(Will try to remember to post a couple pics when it’s all functional.)
That's awesome! Congratulations on the winch. (y) I wish I had a use for one, maybe one day. A friend has one I can borrow but I'm not big on doing that.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am drooling (more than normal) and wishing I had one…looks like a well made implement.

I have two questions:
1. In the pic of it behind your tractor in the shop, it sort of looks like the lower arms are not on the pins of the implement? Am I looking at that correctly? (Post 19). Are you link arms holding something inbound that not visible in pic? (Yes that’s more than 2 questions😂)

2. What are the square holes used for at the bottom edge of the rear blade potion of the implement?

Looks good. Congratulations. I hope you will do a review after use. 👍

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I'm going to sell my Uni-forest 30M this spring if anyone will be looking for one at that time. Low usage in like new condition. IN Northern New York.
I'll post pic's when the snow melts and i can get into the Conx box where it stored.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I am drooling (more than normal) and wishing I had one…looks like a well made implement.

I have two questions:
1. In the pic of it behind your tractor in the shop, it sort of looks like the lower arms are not on the pins of the implement? Am I looking at that correctly? (Post 19). Are you link arms holding something inbound that not visible in pic? (Yes that’s more than 2 questions😂)

2. What are the square holes used for at the bottom edge of the rear blade potion of the implement?

Looks good. Congratulations. I hope you will do a review after use. 👍
IMG_1780.jpeg

1. It’s hitched up by this Cat 1 or Cat 2 pin. (Maybe this is common but I’ve never seen anything quite like it.) The hole on the inside of the implement yoke is Cat 1. The hole on the outside is Cat 2. If you insert the pin the way I have it, the Cat 1 part is inserted into the lift arm. If you turn it around the other way, the fatter Cat 2 part that’s sticking out is inserted in the lift arm and the Cat 1 part is left hanging out.

Explanation from the manual:

IMG_1781.jpeg

2. I really don’t know unless they’re just to provide an option to bolt on a cutting edge in case of damage or wear.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
View attachment 121134
1. It’s hitched up by this Cat 1 or Cat 2 pin. (Maybe this is common but I’ve never seen anything quite like it.) The hole on the inside of the implement yoke is Cat 1. The hole on the outside is Cat 2. If you insert the pin the way I have it, the Cat 1 part is inserted into the lift arm. If you turn it around the other way, the fatter Cat 2 part that’s sticking out is inserted in the lift arm and the Cat 1 part is left hanging out.

Explanation from the manual:

View attachment 121135
2. I really don’t know unless they’re just to provide an option to bolt on a cutting edge in case of damage or wear.
Thank you for that.

As far as the pins I don’t know that it is uncommon….i have 4 different pin set ups across the implements I use on the MX. most use a shoulder pin, some add a sleeve also. The one on my brush cutter looks similar but I don’t have the long pin it in the pic there. I am not sure it’s the same set up you have but that seems pretty convenient or flexible what you have there. 👍

Attachments