Securing BX TLB to a trailer

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
When securing a BX TLB to a trailer should the BH boom and dipper stick be lowered to the deck OR left secured in its normal non-use location, pinned? Does it matter? Any ideas?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Start with my experience of the laws….the troopers haven’t stopped me and told me I’m doing it wrong yet 🤣.

I lower it to the trailer floor and strap it down. It also makes my truck and tractor look bigger🤣🤣🤣

E9CBFA96-9CAD-4EBD-857F-E95C8E84008E.jpeg

I gathered from here that its “supposed” to be, but laws and enforcement vary by location.

Some one here will know the specifics though.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I set the FEL bucket & BH boom/bucket on the trailer and strap them down. I have had an AZ DPS trooper comment that the tractor was very well secured.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I use 4 corner tie downs with 4 10K ratchet straps with axle wraps on each ( to the frame) then with the backhoe pinned and locked, I’ll run one strap across the back, around the backhoe bucket, to the other side.
Did that for 30 years on equipment at the phone company too, but they had chains and binders.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I believe most states will require the backhoe lowered and strapped. Me, I use a dump trailer. The way my BX fits, the backhoe rests on top of the rear gate, fully up and tight with the pin in. I do not strap it, but haven’t been pulled over yet to find out whether this is wrong or not. I also don’t think they are paying attention to me. They are looking for the dump trucks and deck overs….

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Well, I may be in the minority, and I rarely trailer my tractor(s). But when I do I use chains, and binders, and four point tie down to the tractor, and one chain each on the backhoe and loader bucket.

I know this is over kill, and not required probably for a combo rated at 10K or less, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy doing it.

Others use four nylon straps on the tractor and feel fine doing that. Not my way...and cannot say one is better than the other, unless a mishap happens. Then I know which way is more likely to be better.

Reactions: 2 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
Well, I may be in the minority, and I rarely trailer my tractor(s). But when I do I use chains, and binders, and four point tie down to the tractor, and one chain each on the backhoe and loader bucket.

I know this is over kill, and not required probably for a combo rated at 10K or less, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy doing it.

Others use four nylon straps on the tractor and feel fine doing that. Not my way...and cannot say one is better than the other, unless a mishap happens. Then I know which way is more likely to be better.
+1 on the No straps.

Have had them get cut in past experiences

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

I always feel better with chains and binders than straps. I may also throw on a strap or two for good measure, but I start with a chain and binder front and rear

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Irrespective of any transport laws I think a lowered bucket and arm properly secured are always a better option than not having it lowered and secured. People talk a lot about number of chains, size of chains, chains v's straps and strap capacity. I'm always looking to avoid a problem and like the thought of my tractor, skid steer or mini ex firmly secured so I don't have to worry about the load I'm towing.

Proper trailer, good securing equipment, a little time and common sense go along way to avoiding problems. The right truck and style of driving also help!

Stay safe.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not sure this copy/paste will work, but if not you can google load secure me to indiana state…it helps, but there are some grey areas for each situation as best I can tell. I agree with someone who previously mentioned chains…straps can suffer from abrasion…it takes some real talent to snap a chain on a compact tractor.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
My Kubota BH owner's manual says lower the bucket to the trailer and secure.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I am a chain & binder guy for the tractor itself, but I use straps to secure the implements.

I asked the AZ DPS trooper I had talked to in the past if he had ever seen an implement come loose during transport. He said his training officer told him of an excavator bucket/boom that wasn't secured, & that it had walked off the right side of the trailer and was dragging on the ground. Beside the obvious possibility of hitting something, it was creating sparks that caused several brush fires.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I am a chain & binder guy for the tractor itself, but I use straps to secure the implements.

I asked the AZ DPS trooper I had talked to in the past if he had ever seen an implement come loose during transport. He said his training officer told him of an excavator bucket/boom that wasn't secured, & that it had walked off the right side of the trailer and was dragging on the ground. Beside the obvious possibility of hitting something, it was creating sparks that caused several brush fires.

not sure how that could happen on a pinned BH, i alway put a little pressure on mine after I drop the pins in. Even though I doubt they would fall out.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
not sure how that could happen on a pinned BH, i
Older stuff, like my B670 BH, don't have any way to pin the boom to keep it from dropping or swinging side to side. I assume he was referring to an incident that happened a while ago with an older machine.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I dont know for sure but I would think the newer machines that have pins to secure the BH would not have to be set on the deck and secured.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I dont know for sure but I would think the newer machines that have pins to secure the BH would not have to be set on the deck and secured.

in ontario (like jay said) we have to secure the attachments. The law for it came out after the invention of the BH locks. I don’t put my BH on the deck. The only time I toss a strap on it is if im going further than the farm. (It’s a 10 min drive) I only do it to avoid a ticket And court time. IMO if you don’t have locks, it should be secured, if you have locks you’re now disabling the locks so you can strap or chain it; so you shouldn’t require it I trust the pins to hold them in place .

Reactions: 1 users