My plow project...

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
ptwyz,

You want the plow level when it is in the ground actually working. One way to do this is to run the left side of the tractor up on blocks equal to the depth you are going to plow, usually seven or eight inches. Then set the bottom of the plow level. This is why a lot of the two and three bottom three point plows have an off set in the drawbar.

Also set it so the left edge of the moldboard is the width of your plow bottom from the inside edge of your right rear tire. I am guessing that your plow is a 12", but measure it to be sure. The coulter should be 3/4 to 1" to the right of the leading edge of the plow so the ground breaks correctly.

Once the mold bord gets polished it is amazing how much easier a plow pulls. I once used a 3-14 plow that hadn't been used in twenty years to plow seven acres behind a worn out WD Allis Chalmers. After grinding and sanding the rust off for a full day, it took about three acres of plowing in first gear then I could plow in second, by the time I was done the tractor would pull it in third downhill.

Hope this helps,

Robert
Robert, (orange tractors), THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your input :D . This is EXACTLY the type of information I am craving for! I have already printed this page out and have it posted in my shop!

I do have one question, On the first run, (when I am establishing the first furrow), I DO run the plow even, then I "level" the plow like you mentioned above, correct :confused: ?

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
Scott,

I haven't plowed very much, Dad always plowed the garden when I was a kid. He grew up farming, then started working heavy construction about the time I was born. Most of the info I posted above was gleaned from reading on the internet.

My WD is the one that Grandpa bought Dad when he was ten years old; When they quit farming in the 1960's my other Grandpa bought it and used it for the rest of his life. I do have to say that the AC snap coupler is a lot easier to hook up than a three point hitch; I can hook to my plow or trail blade with out leaving the seat.

Robert
Any way we could get pics of this :eek: ???

ptwyz

Equipment
Jan 7, 2010
irish, that's AWESOME! And homemade to boot! I give ya credit! alot of credit :D !!!

How deep does it plow for you?

irish

Equipment
B7200
Jan 18, 2010
Ireland
irish, that's AWESOME! And homemade to boot! I give ya credit! alot of credit :D !!!

How deep does it plow for you?
Not awsome. It is very basic only a bit of angle iron a broken old point or sock from an old horse plough. It only ploughs about 6 or 7 inches and would not work in stoney soil. The other problem is that, without a wheel, you need to keep adjusting the depth with the hydraulics and the angle with the top link to try to get a continuous sod overturn.

It is ok for me as the soil is good where I am and I only have a small area to plough. If I had to do it again I would have used a bigger board with more rotation to overturn the sod more effectively. I didn't think the tractor (17 hp) would be able for anything bigger but it could have handled it ok, I think.
In retrospect, it should be bigger and included a cutting blade/wheel and a depth wheel. Maybe modifications for next year!
Very jealous of your one! It looks just about perfect to me.

Irish

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
In retrospect, it should be bigger and included a cutting blade/wheel and a depth wheel. Maybe modifications for next year!
Well, for a prototype it is very creative. Making do with what you have is vey important and you did good.
When you get to those modifications can ou make another post and let us know?

Scott

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Scott,

I haven't plowed very much, Dad always plowed the garden when I was a kid. He grew up farming, then started working heavy construction about the time I was born. Most of the info I posted above was gleaned from reading on the internet.

My WD is the one that Grandpa bought Dad when he was ten years old; When they quit farming in the 1960's my other Grandpa bought it and used it for the rest of his life. I do have to say that the AC snap coupler is a lot easier to hook up than a three point hitch; I can hook to my plow or trail blade with out leaving the seat.

Robert
Hi Robert,
Thank you for the update. I enjoyed reading about the family history and how the equipment stayed with in the family.

Doesn't really matter where you are geting the experaince you posted. What does matter is that you have it and you are willing to share with us.

Thank you,
Scott