My plow project...

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Thanks Dusty! I was wondering if I should get a bracket and put some case weights on the front of the BX. The front tire DOES move around in the furrow a little bit. The 4WD does help with the outside front tire, but not much for the tire in the furrow, it "dances" some.
Can you try adding weight in the FEL to help with that? Just ask'n :rolleyes:

Scott

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
Can you try adding weight in the FEL to help with that? Just ask'n :rolleyes:

Scott
I dont have the FEL on the tractor when I plow because of a pear tree that is kinda close to the garden, plus some other obsticals.

Good idea though, for people who don't have to worry about running into things.

I also need to look at making the plow level once the tires do go into the furrow. I'm thinking that might help as well.

royboy42

Equipment
L something or nother
Sep 8, 2009
macon ga
I wonder if there are any 11 step programs for plow-a-holics :D
Wouldn't a class like that try to keep you from plowing then apologize to every piece of land you have ever affected in a bad way as a result of your plowing. Then you'd be stuck going to month long meetings in the fall when the urge to plow would be the greatest and drink large amounts of coffee and talk about how you missed the mixed smell of fresh turned dirt with diesel and grease.

Stay away!

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Nice way to breathe new life into that former yard ornament!

Looking at the rust on the moldboard, that thing hasn't moved a piece of dirt since the Roosevelt administration.

Nice rebuild, it's got me looking at that 2 bottom Jay Dee plow Mrs Service Dept Vic made me park up by the entrance to the farm yard ten years ago so she could put Christmas decorations on it.........
She will kill you :cool:

Scott

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ahyup you can put weight in the bucket or hang them off the front of the tractor as in suitcase weights or you can make your own bracket and weights. What ever you put in the bucket make sure its gonna stay in the bucket. I used to love plowing, all alone , no one bothering you, no phones. Just you and the smell of dirt and diesel. Still couldn't plow straight. :D dusty

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I didnt have that problem my dads was 2 wheel drive try it in 2 wheel if you havent already. Also sometimes I would have to adjust the angle of plow but you also have to adjust the cutting blade also if you dont it would throw me all over a 2 acre track.I wouldnt watch the back a whole lot after its adjusted right. Like dusty says . You can ride all day drink your drink all alone nobody bothering you except I had to smell gas. I am planning on getting a plow next bought another pond scoop Monday (FULL SIZE) had to make adapters for it to work on the 7100. Try the adjustments. Good luck handy

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
Wouldn't a class like that try to keep you from plowing then apologize to every piece of land you have ever affected in a bad way as a result of your plowing. Then you'd be stuck going to month long meetings in the fall when the urge to plow would be the greatest and drink large amounts of coffee and talk about how you missed the mixed smell of fresh turned dirt with diesel and grease.

Stay away!
royboy42, your killing me with the smells of heaven above,

Must go out and plow NOW!!!

ptwyz

Equipment
Jan 7, 2010
Ahyup you can put weight in the bucket or hang them off the front of the tractor as in suitcase weights or you can make your own bracket and weights. What ever you put in the bucket make sure its gonna stay in the bucket. I used to love plowing, all alone , no one bothering you, no phones. Just you and the smell of dirt and diesel. Still couldn't plow straight. :D dusty
Dusty, you crack me up :p .

If I can get a bracket for the front of the tractor, (or fab one up, not allot of metal working tools here), I will get case weights to take the place of the FEL.

ptwyz

Equipment
Jan 7, 2010
Nice way to breathe new life into that former yard ornament!

Looking at the rust on the moldboard, that thing hasn't moved a piece of dirt since the Roosevelt administration.

Nice rebuild, it's got me looking at that 2 bottom Jay Dee plow Mrs Service Dept Vic made me park up by the entrance to the farm yard ten years ago so she could put Christmas decorations on it.........

Interesting story about the rust on that moldboard. I bought a angle grinder so I could grind that rust off. About 5 minutes into grinding, my wife walks into the shop and say's, "hey that looks fun, can I try it?". Soooo, after I got her all dressed up with a mask and hearing protection plus one of my long sleeve shirts, (with the sleeves taped up tight), & safety glasses, she began to grind. THREE hours later, she said she was done. She absolutely LOVED doing that. I told her I loved her ;) .

ptwyz

Equipment
Jan 7, 2010
I didnt have that problem my dads was 2 wheel drive try it in 2 wheel if you havent already. Also sometimes I would have to adjust the angle of plow but you also have to adjust the cutting blade also if you dont it would throw me all over a 2 acre track.I wouldnt watch the back a whole lot after its adjusted right. Like dusty says . You can ride all day drink your drink all alone nobody bothering you except I had to smell gas. I am planning on getting a plow next bought another pond scoop Monday (FULL SIZE) had to make adapters for it to work on the 7100. Try the adjustments. Good luck handy
I think I am going to play with the angle a bit. I will remember to adjust the cutting blade as well. thanks for the tip handy ;) !!!

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ptwyz that story about your wife is awesome. About 30 years ago my wife came to help me sandblast some big tanks at a cheese factory. She spent all day filling the pot moving hoses and what not. I still think of that day.:D Dusty.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Interesting story about the rust on that moldboard. I bought a angle grinder so I could grind that rust off. About 5 minutes into grinding, my wife walks into the shop and say's, "hey that looks fun, can I try it?". Soooo, after I got her all dressed up with a mask and hearing protection plus one of my long sleeve shirts, (with the sleeves taped up tight), & safety glasses, she began to grind. THREE hours later, she said she was done. She absolutely LOVED doing that. I told her I loved her ;) .
Ya buddy, she's a keeper for sure!

Scott

ptwyz

Equipment
Jan 7, 2010
Ptwyz that story about your wife is awesome. About 30 years ago my wife came to help me sandblast some big tanks at a cheese factory. She spent all day filling the pot moving hoses and what not. I still think of that day.:D Dusty.
Day's like that seem to be the type of day's I remember the most. My father calls it "Quality Family Time". I need more of that.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
ptwyz,

You want the plow level when it is in the ground actually working. One way to do this is to run the left side of the tractor up on blocks equal to the depth you are going to plow, usually seven or eight inches. Then set the bottom of the plow level. This is why a lot of the two and three bottom three point plows have an off set in the drawbar.

Also set it so the left edge of the moldboard is the width of your plow bottom from the inside edge of your right rear tire. I am guessing that your plow is a 12", but measure it to be sure. The coulter should be 3/4 to 1" to the right of the leading edge of the plow so the ground breaks correctly.

Once the mold bord gets polished it is amazing how much easier a plow pulls. I once used a 3-14 plow that hadn't been used in twenty years to plow seven acres behind a worn out WD Allis Chalmers. After grinding and sanding the rust off for a full day, it took about three acres of plowing in first gear then I could plow in second, by the time I was done the tractor would pull it in third downhill.

Hope this helps,

Robert

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
ptwyz,

You want the plow level when it is in the ground actually working. One way to do this is to run the left side of the tractor up on blocks equal to the depth you are going to plow, usually seven or eight inches. Then set the bottom of the plow level. This is why a lot of the two and three bottom three point plows have an off set in the drawbar.

Also set it so the left edge of the moldboard is the width of your plow bottom from the inside edge of your right rear tire. I am guessing that your plow is a 12", but measure it to be sure. The coulter should be 3/4 to 1" to the right of the leading edge of the plow so the ground breaks correctly.

Once the mold bord gets polished it is amazing how much easier a plow pulls. I once used a 3-14 plow that hadn't been used in twenty years to plow seven acres behind a worn out WD Allis Chalmers. After grinding and sanding the rust off for a full day, it took about three acres of plowing in first gear then I could plow in second, by the time I was done the tractor would pull it in third downhill.

Hope this helps,

Robert
Robert,
Thanks for posting so much helpful information. This is a great help for those of us that have never used a plow.

Thank you,
Scott

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Robert,
Thanks for posting so much helpful information. This is a great help for those of us that have never used a plow.

Thank you,
Scott
Scott,

I haven't plowed very much, Dad always plowed the garden when I was a kid. He grew up farming, then started working heavy construction about the time I was born. Most of the info I posted above was gleaned from reading on the internet.

My WD is the one that Grandpa bought Dad when he was ten years old; When they quit farming in the 1960's my other Grandpa bought it and used it for the rest of his life. I do have to say that the AC snap coupler is a lot easier to hook up than a three point hitch; I can hook to my plow or trail blade with out leaving the seat.

Robert