Let it snow!

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
In Maine we call it Mud season. Then that brings in Black Fly season. I had 4 days of scooping snow off roofs this week, but on the bright side there were no Black Flies or Mosquitoes.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Yep, going to be in the 40's here all week and hopefully it will melt all this snow. The funny thing is last summer it was really dry to the point where a lot of the state was in a severe drought. The end of fall brought quite a bit of rain to my area and the water table is definitely back up. My sub pumps have been pumping all winter and our well has been overflowing too, but the news still has us in a moderate drought :confused:. I'm no water table expert but I would say it's back to normal.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
Got up to 64 here today, but too soft to take out the tractor. Yesterday a neighbor walked up my drive and handed me an aluminum wedge, asking if it was from my tractor when I cleared his driveway last month. Sure enough, it was one of the top wedges that holds the blade against the frame.

OC455

Equipment
BX2350 LED ROP, FEL, Belly mower,modified snow blower, pole boom, middle plow
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Supposed to be in the 50's all this week.....

Not how I would have imagined February in Upstate NY....

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
We went from no snow to lots in 2 weeks now back into the thaw, a good winter so far, still can't wait to be sitting in the boat fishing.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Discussion section of NOAA website for our region cheerfully pointed out that the 5 other times in recorded weather (about 150 yrs) that we had had 4 or 5 days of record high temps in Feb, it was followed by below average temps. In other words don't get used to it. Winter ain't over. Skeets don't put your mower deck on, that would really do it. :(

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Winter isn't over until Labor Day. :eek:
Then it is time to get ready for the next one. :p :p :D :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Shorts and tee shirt weather here today. Looked over the fence this morning and the neighbors got a good crop of lettuce and spinach in there garden. They stopped by a little while ago and gave us enough for a couple nights worth of salads :D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Was well above freezing last few days,rain and wet snow in the forecast. Thought it was going to break, couple more weeks i guess.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah I was looking at the garden this morning,,, wondering,,just wondering mind you if some cold weather stuff might make it,, my luck it would all come then it would snow and freeze

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yeah, this little tease of spring has my gardening fever going. Cleaned out two flower beds, but it is hard to weed when the roots are still frozen into the ground :eek:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Well no gardening fever up here yet, still buried under a foot of snow. But, with temperatures in the 50s and 60s plus rain forecast this week its going to get real sloppy. Snow will probably be mostly gone by the end of the week when it starts tuning cold again.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yeah I was looking at the garden this morning,,, wondering,,just wondering mind you if some cold weather stuff might make it,, my luck it would all come then it would snow and freeze
Cold weather veggies are hit and miss here. People usually plant between mid January to mid February. After that it's too late. But it's a crap shoot every time :rolleyes: You still have a chance of a snow storm like last year at the end of February. But if you plant in March, it's usually too warm by the time they start to produce. Then they pop, go bitter and to seed immediately :rolleyes:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
People usually plant between mid January to mid February. After that it's too late.
Wow - that's when we're hunckerin' for the dead of winter.

Couple years ago, our average temperature for the month of February was 9 degrees F. Was a cold month - we weren't growing anything but icicles!

I remember getting my bride flowers for Valentines Day, and it was -20F that morning.....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wow - that's when we're hunckerin' for the dead of winter.

Couple years ago, our average temperature for the month of February was 9 degrees F. Was a cold month - we weren't growing anything but icicles!

I remember getting my bride flowers for Valentines Day, and it was -20F that morning.....
Difference in regions :rolleyes: I'll be crying though come mid summer when temps are similar to Arizona with 80 plus humidity. Peak of summer here feels like your being steamed :eek:

Like I was saying though, cold weather crops here are a crap shoot. Lettuce, spinach, ect,... You got to get it early enough to where it doesn't go to seed. But at the same time keep an eye on the weather and prepped to cover your crops for a couple days do to a snow/ ice storm :rolleyes: That early makes tilling miserable as well. Ground is usually saturated, so usually you can't get it with a tractor, and have to till those beds by hand. I gave up on it after two years in a row having them pop and go straight to seed do to late storms preventing planting. :rolleyes:

Weathers perfect for Melons though :D