Let it snow!

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

Somewhere between 2 and 3 feet here since last Friday, supposed to taper off overnight and be nice tomorrow. Gonna be interesting clearing that up in the morning.

Gotta make room for another foot forecast for Wednesday.

Blower's working great. Hard to get video when you're driving tho.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
PHPaul, if I remember right you used to have sheep, it would be hard to find them in all that snow!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
PHPaul, if I remember right you used to have sheep, it would be hard to find them in all that snow!
I did, gave them up a year ago last Summer. Gettin' too old to be lugging water to them all winter, and too cheap to run a frost-proof line 100 yards down to the barn.

When I had the Shetlands and we'd get a snow like this, I'd be looking around for the sheep and pretty soon a pile of snow would sprout legs and amble over to see if I had anything good to eat.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Spent the day in the tractor!

Took me less than 2 hours to clear out my place and the one driveway I contract for.

As I was finishing up the contract driveway, the local builder that I do odd jobs and maintenance for swung in with his plow truck. In the winter he caretakes for a bunch of places and keeps them plowed out. Several are down on the water and, being Summer People, they didn't make ANY plans for snow removal when they built the place. Driveways about six inches wider than the truck, as few trees as possible removed, drive built up over the lay of the land so if you drop a wheel off either side yer screwed. And mostly, NO place to put snow. Poor ol' Dale was boxed in good with the 3-ish feet of snow, wind and drifting.

I spent the rest of the day doing loader and blower work to give him a little room to breath. His worker bees took great pleasure in leaning on their shovels and watching the blower eat.

That'll make a nice little addition to the Toy Fund!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Spent a little time in the seat of a green one today, loader and blower on back.
Its not a couple yrars old. Its cumbersome,steering wheel reminds me of a kids pedal car,flops like a wet noodle .,loader is slow and controls are stiff and sticky.
Loader frame moves on some kind of spring setup. Cant landscape with it. Its tippy and cab is akward to get in and out. I really dislike icons for all the controls. Couldnt figure out how to turn chute on snowblower,and pto kicks off randomly.

Would rather run my L1501 open cab to blow snow.....

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
phpaul,
I remember 1968 maybe 1969 the the road from the NAvRADSTA to East Machias was closed for the better part of a week, had to take a snow cat in to get mail. We also picked up the locals mail and delivered on the way back along with any staples they needed. We had two big rotary plows that could barley keep the 5 miles to the VLF xmitter site open. By the time that storm passed cars in the parking lot were just bumps in the snow.
there was a lightning storm in the snow storm also. strange, muffled light flashes and muffled thunder.

your pictures remind me a lot of Cutler....thanks

opie21

Feb 5, 2017
US

Looks like you guys are getting all of our snow now. I can finally see the ground again in SW CO.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
NIW....got ice in the drive???? nasty
I have been back dragging with Piranha. Just starting to bust through it. Have to where crampons to get to shop and tractor.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
....got ice in the drive???? nasty......Have to where crampons to get to shop and tractor.
That's normal here, every time we have a thaw. Problem comes into play when it doesn't completely melt. Then we can have the ice issues a lot longer. Little rise coming into the driveway makes it fun getting in AND out.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

No ice yet, but it's gonna be a heck of a spring thaw this year.

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Snow, Rain, Thaw, Freeze, ICE! and then "mud time"! Is "mud time" just a local term or is it a common term? probably my least favorite event.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
It's a skating rink here, I keep a bag of sand and a cup by the side door for when I head to the shop. The snow has settled down to about 3', and there's some gravel showing thru in the turnaround of the driveway. I'm ready for a real thaw. IMG_5977.jpg

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
bearskinner, looks like my drive. Had rain on ice for awhile. My car slid a couple of feet just parked. My dog could not stand and the turkeys were hilarious to watch sliding on two feet, butt on ice and wings out for stability.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It is an odd winter, already 56F out, record highs expected, this is Michigan we're talking not Alabama. Well into the 2nd or 3d mud season. Would love to get the tractor out and do SOMETHING but consequences would be pretty messy. By March it will probably riccochet back to cold. Colic weather:eek:

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Drive is better today, back dragging with the piranha tooth bar helps to direct drainage and also makes it thaw faster.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My place is a mix of mud bog with the occasional skating rink and boy oh boy is it fun to drive on! :eek:
The drive out is all the way down to dirt / rock mostly, then the private road has some really slick spots where it's in the shade most of the time.
Light snow falling right now, and supposed to turn to rain in a bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
bearskinner, looks like my drive. Had rain on ice for awhile. My car slid a couple of feet just parked. My dog could not stand and the turkeys were hilarious to watch sliding on two feet, butt on ice and wings out for stability.

And it's almost 40 and starting to sprinkle on top of the ice...........

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Snow, no snow here,, its inthe upper 50s and lows of 40s and its going to be like that for the next 10 days according the NOAA... Now might as well sharpen blades, grease put the dayum deck back on, cause you can almost hear the grass growing,,,, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad: