Just the beginning, like it or not

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Robert DuChemin, Sr,

When crack cocaine hit the scene I was President of the local Federal Bar Association. There were so many cases coming into the system that the federal judges approached me because they needed more attorneys to volunteer to be appointed counsel under the Criminal Justice Act. Judge Ken Sharp informed me that I was one of their first “volunteers.”

In one of my first cases the government produced more than 200 hours of redacted videotape of my client committing felonies. Being a good lawyer, I asked for all of the videotape in case there was any exculpatory evidence in the other recordings. They then produced almost 2,000 hours of recorded video. I remember being stunned by the amount of surveillance. It reminded me why the Constitution gives us protections: because of the awesome power of the government.

I felt the same way when I read the affidavit used to obtain the arrest warrant for the stabber in the Idaho murders. In one of the most rural areas of the United States the police were able to obtain video and track his cell phone to compile a timeline of him going to and from the murders. They even knew where and which way he was traveling when he turned his phone off and where and which which way he was going when he turned it back on. They were also able to find out how many times he had approached the crime scene that night from neighborhood video cameras.

Unlike the massive amount of surveillance against my very guilty client mentioned above, this surveillance was passive, did not require a warrant to be compiled, and was far more detailed and often times with better quality video than the video tapes from 30 years ago.

Here is the scary part: that kind of surveillance is being done on every one of us every day. As soon as you leave your house the government will be able to track you everywhere. I mean everywhere. If you turn your phone off going one direction and turn it back on going another direction they can calculate your endpoint by your speed and where and when you turned the phone off and on. If they don’t have your phone, one of your neighbors has a camera and the guy on the next street has a camera and there are traffic cameras as soon as you cross a traffic intersection.

The government always knows where you are and what you are doing.

Now the very scary part. With all of that technology and passive surveillance available in a rural area, you know for damn sure that the FBI knows who placed the pipe bombs in Washington DC, the city with the most video surveillance in the world, on January 6, 2021, when they were placed, and with whom in the government the criminal or criminals were communicating around the time of the bomb placement.

So how come there have been no arrests,
My wife and I have a tracker app on our phones that we voluntarily installed when our son was in a heated custody battle with our grandsons meth head momma.

It's still on our phones.

If you have a modern cell phone, the capability is there for them to track you anytime they feel like it.

Both vehicles of onstar installed in them. We haven't subscribed to it. But all law inforcement needs is the Vin number and they came have the vehicle shut down. That's easy enough for them to get.

My work truck is wired so they can tell if I'm wearing my seat belt or not. How fast I'm going, ect....

I've had some interesting conversations with corporate over a dealer service tech or valet moving the truck and not wearing a seat belt 😅🤣😅🤣🤣🤣

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Here is the scary part: that kind of surveillance is being done on every one of us every day. As soon as you leave your house the government will be able to track you everywhere. I mean everywhere. If you turn your phone off going one direction and turn it back on going another direction they can calculate your endpoint by your speed and where and when you turned the phone off and on. If they don’t have your phone, one of your neighbors has a camera and the guy on the next street has a camera and there are traffic cameras as soon as you cross a traffic intersection.
A while back, several barns were torched on mostly Amish farms in my area. Not only were the barns lost, but a lot of livestock and farm equipment. It made the news quite often and the sheriff's departments in the affected counties asked for any information anyone might have to aid in catching the arsonists. Didn't hear much for several months.
Then it was announced that a couple, man and woman, had been arrested for the crimes. At trial it came out that the L.E. agencies had matched up cell phone ping locations at all the arson sites with the suspects phones.
The man was tried and got 90 years, the woman has been tried in one county and got 10 years, and still faces trial in another county.
It also came out that they even tried to get their son to start one of the fires, but he didn't do it.
Big brother is watching.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Ah yes, like when the liberals diligently repealed Roe v. Wade
Just be glad they repealed it, instead of completing it. And I will be very surprised if you have any clue what that means.

and doxxed medical professionals

who were assisting adults with life threatening pregnancies
News flash(es)
  1. Life threatening pregnancies are extremely rare.
  2. Therapeutic abortions to save the life of the mother have never been illegal, and you would have a very hard time trying to find someone who is trying to make them illegal.
  3. Truly therapeutic abortions make up a very, very tiny percentage of abortions. The vast majority are simply for birth control.

and minor rape victims

Again, an infinitesimal percentage of abortions, and just how does the crime of the rapist justify a death penalty for an innocent child?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Then it was announced that a couple, man and woman, had been arrested for the crimes. At trial it came out that the L.E. agencies had matched up cell phone ping locations at all the arson sites with the suspects phones.

That's old news. About 15 years ago I bought my log splitter with proceeds from giving expert testimony about a defendant's locations based on cellphone records. That case helped to put away a bad cop.

I really enjoy using that log splitter. Makes it even better that I earned it by helping to put away a bad cop.

There are actually several different approaches to locating someone by cellphone. In real time, it's pretty precise. But for that, they have to be surveilling you in advance. After the fact is much less precise, but still good enough for most cases. It can put someone in the vicinity of the scene of a crime when they said they were on the other side of town. In most cases, it can't put you on this side of the street vs. that side, or this house vs. that house.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
All the 'ping' data proves is that the cell phone was at a certain location NOT the usual user of that phone.
Meanwhile here in Ontario, the OWNER of a vehicle being driven through a red light gets charged NOT the driver who commits the actual crime.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
All the 'ping' data proves is that the cell phone was at a certain location NOT the usual user of that phone.

That's correct, and defense attorneys often make that point, but most juries are smart enough to see through it. Unless there is some evidence to support the assertion that someone else had the phone, it's quite reasonable to believe that it was the owner of the phone. Normally what we see is the call records show that the numbers that were called during the time of the crime are the same numbers that the owner of the phone usually call. That's pretty good supporting evidence.

It's rare in a criminal case that one piece of evidence proves a case. It's almost always a lot of things pointing in one direction.