Just the beginning, like it or not

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901 RCR1260
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Another take in this new "active safety" device.

I worked with some Powertrain Calibrators in the mid 1990s on cold weather issues. They mentioned that the DOT asked the company to investigate the feasibility of adding remote ECM kill switch hardware and software. The person stopping the vehicle would use something like a hand held radar gun, but it would broadcast in the 800 MHz band. That was about 25 years ago; long before connected vehicles.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Any 'remote access' system, like OnStar can kill the engine unless the thief has a 'jammer' with him.

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Any 'remote access' system, like OnStar can kill the engine unless the thief has a 'jammer' with him.
That is exactly correct. I witnessed the Washington State Patrol disable a vehicle on I-405 a few years back. They remotely shut down the engine and locked the doors to the GM vehicle they were chasing. The doors could not even be manually unlocked. The cops had the bad guy caged, so to speak.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
That is exactly correct. I witnessed the Washington State Patrol disable a vehicle on I-405 a few years back. They remotely shut down the engine and locked the doors to the GM vehicle they were chasing. The doors could not even be manually unlocked. The cops had the bad guy caged, so to speak.
Seems like a good thing when the good guys use it against the bad but what happens when bad "good guys" get that power?

Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My Kia is a step away. It has a Driver Alertness Warning. Optional. When turned on it will beep and advise you to take a coffee break if it detects a lack of driver alertness. Not sure what parameters it uses.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
miserable kinda rainy,drizzely day here and SIL 'Juke' is here for a month....bored... so using a free available online 'diagnostic tool', I cut some code to use it to mimic the 'pushbutton start' of her joke, er juke....
dang I got it started....after I sent the 'foot on brake' signal....

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
My Kia is a step away. It has a Driver Alertness Warning. Optional. When turned on it will beep and advise you to take a coffee break if it detects a lack of driver alertness. Not sure what parameters it uses.
It watches your eyes, checking your blink rate and whether or not you are watching the road.

Fun stuff, ain't it?

Somebody got the idea that Orwell's "1984" was intended to be a "how to" rather than a warning.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I can see it now... charging the battery powered excavator on the job site with a diesel generator when it dies mid-project.
As far as I know there's no provision in the electrical code for hooking up temporary power at a job site for electronic vehicle charging.
You do it all the way or not at all, which means use a portable generator.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
found this...
Wacker Neuson producing mini- and compact excavators under 5 metric tons for Deere & Co., including battery-powered, electric models.

so, once again Deere is NOT making either the machine OR the batteries. Deere bought 51+% of the battery company, Driesel (sp).

All the excavators are less than 6 metric tons , about 13,200 #, <80HP ??

Demo work inside buildings, no need for a machine, just hire some of the 400,000+ 'new immigrants' Canada just let in last year !
Ha we get like 400,000 every few months.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Oh, the conspiracies….
It's not a conspiracy. A bill was introduced last year to include remote shutdown in all new cars starting in 2030. I don't believe it passed.
Any vehicle with a security system and connectivity can be remotely shutdown. Fuel type has nothing to do with it, doesn't matter if it's electric, gas or diesel.

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
It's not a conspiracy. A bill was introduced last year to include remote shutdown in all new cars starting in 2030. I don't believe it passed.
Any vehicle with a security system and connectivity can be remotely shutdown. Fuel type has nothing to do with it, doesn't matter if it's electric, gas or diesel.
And you know what happens when liberals can't get a bill passed because it is oppressive and tyrannical. They try, try again!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Robert DuChemin, Sr,

When crack cocaine hit the scene I was President of the local Federal Bar Association. There were so many cases coming into the system that the federal judges approached me because they needed more attorneys to volunteer to be appointed counsel under the Criminal Justice Act. Judge Ken Sharp informed me that I was one of their first “volunteers.”

In one of my first cases the government produced more than 200 hours of redacted videotape of my client committing felonies. Being a good lawyer, I asked for all of the videotape in case there was any exculpatory evidence in the other recordings. They then produced almost 2,000 hours of recorded video. I remember being stunned by the amount of surveillance. It reminded me why the Constitution gives us protections: because of the awesome power of the government.

I felt the same way when I read the affidavit used to obtain the arrest warrant for the stabber in the Idaho murders. In one of the most rural areas of the United States the police were able to obtain video and track his cell phone to compile a timeline of him going to and from the murders. They even knew where and which way he was traveling when he turned his phone off and where and which which way he was going when he turned it back on. They were also able to find out how many times he had approached the crime scene that night from neighborhood video cameras.

Unlike the massive amount of surveillance against my very guilty client mentioned above, this surveillance was passive, did not require a warrant to be compiled, and was far more detailed and often times with better quality video than the video tapes from 30 years ago.

Here is the scary part: that kind of surveillance is being done on every one of us every day. As soon as you leave your house the government will be able to track you everywhere. I mean everywhere. If you turn your phone off going one direction and turn it back on going another direction they can calculate your endpoint by your speed and where and when you turned the phone off and on. If they don’t have your phone, one of your neighbors has a camera and the guy on the next street has a camera and there are traffic cameras as soon as you cross a traffic intersection.

The government always knows where you are and what you are doing.

Now the very scary part. With all of that technology and passive surveillance available in a rural area, you know for damn sure that the FBI knows who placed the pipe bombs in Washington DC, the city with the most video surveillance in the world, on January 6, 2021, when they were placed, and with whom in the government the criminal or criminals were communicating around the time of the bomb placement.

So how come there have been no arrests,

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
and my friends and family why I don't have a 'smart device'... the ONLY time they are 'off' is when the battery has been PHYSICALLY removed, otherwise easy to track. Wonder how Google maps( and all the rest) KNOW the 'traffic conditions'...easy... cell pings...

no arrests....
why ? , because it doesn't help 'their' agenda.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
As far as I know there's no provision in the electrical code for hooking up temporary power at a job site for electronic vehicle charging.
You do it all the way or not at all, which means use a portable generator.
Yeah I get that, it's just ironic and defeats the purpose lol.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
And you know what happens when liberals can't get a bill passed because it is oppressive and tyrannical. They try, try again!
Ah yes, like when the liberals diligently repealed Roe v. Wade and doxxed medical professionals who were assisting adults with life threatening pregnancies and minor rape victims - just as God intended!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Ah yes, like when the liberals diligently repealed Roe v. Wade and doxxed medical professionals who were assisting adults with life threatening pregnancies and minor rape victims - just as God intended!
I'm afraid you've been had. You are still allowed to kill babies in most places. For extra credit, go read what the EU countries laws are regarding abortion and compare it to what you believe it should be. I think you'll be surprised to find out you probably have an extreme position compared to almost any civilized country.

Reactions: 1 users