Gas station etiquette. Pull through at the island.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
decided to have some fun one day...
two empty pumps inline , guy in front of me stops at the first one( both gas BTW), so I go around, then backup to pump #1, start filling my empty pickup.
We're pretty rural here. Haven't seen a gas/diesel combo before.

Diesel is usually off to the side where larger trucks can get in.

Most stations are small with 1 or 2 islands with 2 gas pumps accessible on both sides..... soooo, it's either 4 or 8 gas nozzles.

Then you get those fargin' iceholes that stop short at the first one, and it frigs up the whole idea....

Geez....

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I try not to start stuff, but sometimes the old redneck in me slips out. I was in line and the front pump was being use, and the guy at the second pump filled up, and I backed up and let him out. As he pulls away some young lets just call hom a boy whips in right in front of me to the second pump. You know the kind hat on sideways pants hangin around his butt. So he gets out and walk to the station just a rambling walk no hurry. The guy in the first pump just shook his head and smiled. He got in his truck and backed up against this boys front bumper, and being the asshat I can be pulled up against his back. I got out and he got out and we walked into the station and I bought him a cup of coffee while this boy was doing gawd knows what in the store. He goes out and come in screamming that he cant get his car out and for us to move those (*&^*&^$^%#%^&&(*&(*&^%&(((( trucks RIGHT NOW !!! I said OK and asked my new friend if he wanted another cup of coffee, he said sure by he was buying. This boy ranted and raved for about 10 min before we moved our trucks. The kid took off like a bat out of hades and promptly hit the curb and took out the sidewall on his front tire. I beeped the horn and waved as I drove by,, Im not sure what he was saying but I dont think it was nice :)

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Most of ours look like this:
View attachment 50839
We have the same here. Gotta pay attention though. Some of the bigger stations have diesel/ gas, E85/ gas, and non ethanol/ gas. And every pump has two nozzles. 😱😱😱

Usually diesel is on the outside islands, gas, E85, and non ethanol are on the inside islands.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I wish we had a station around here that had non ethanol gas

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Well I would have made your 10 most wanted poster yesterday.

I was coming off the highway needing some fuel so I went to pull into a station and the outside island was backed up. My trailer was still in the road, and I had a state trooper behind me. so I went around to the inside of the two islands around the person on the end the then jacked into the end pump on the opposite side. I believe I was taking up 8 or 9 spaces. And of course as Murphy would have it, I needed 43 gallons to fill the 48 gal tank.

Sometimes with the long bed 4 door and the 22' trailer, you just have to deal with a stations poor design.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, at least with your large/long rig you have some justification- I've seen idiots in a smart car take up almost that much room!

Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I wish we had a station around here that had non ethanol gas
In Texas you can get ethanol free gas at the station at Walmart called Murphy’s and at a convenience store called Quick Trip (QT).

It is great not having to worry about carburetor problems on small engines.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Luckily, we’ve been able to get non-ethanol gas for several years. About half the stations have it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you are at costco with the tripple pumps, etiquette is to sit and wait for the guy on the first pump to finish and drive away even if the two other pumps are empty. Doesn't matter if 50 cars are waiting in line behind you.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
No one taught me me to pull up to the proper pump when I started driving, I just figured it out one day. While it does make me shake my head I try to keep that in mind when others don’t use the correct pump. The scenario posted a couple times about someone pulling away after youve started pumping happens all the time as well.

Also, there’s regular “gas” station pumps like in the pic above and “truck stop” style for large trucks. I used to fill il our delivery trucks at the truck stop. Those were one way in and one way out. It would annoy me to no end when those guys would leave their trucks parked at the Pumps then go into the truck stop, it can take forever to get checked out at times not to mention shopping around. Most but not all would pull up too allow the next truck to fill up and pull around if needed.

Same with peoples driving skills. I believe I was taught how to operate a vehicle with others in mind while driving, the old man just forgot about the gas pump thing. Or it could be that out small town only had one pump on each side so it wasn’t a thought. Once I was criticizing a gals driving skills and she informed me that she didn’t have a father figure around growing up to teach her proper common sense driving techniques. So I try and keep that in mind as well.

However, I do agree with the overall sentiment here. As I find most people too wrapped up in themselves to be worried about anyone else and that does drive me crazy. When I’ve complained about this with my gal she says, not everyone thinks like you do, I usually say, well there’s your problem....

Reactions: 2 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Also if the same nozzle dispenses both ethanol and non-ethanol, purge the hose by putting a half gallon in your fuel tank before filling your lawn mower/chainsaw jugs.
Thats a very good point. I use the local truck stop that has a dedicated nozzle for non-ethanol.

originally the only place locally that had non-ethanol was the local propane dealer. But once they installed their gas islands it was questionable as far as what you were getting. So I quit using them once other options started popping up.

When the local truck stop updated their tanks and pumps and added the dedicated nozzle for non-ethanol, I started using them exclusively.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Luckly I live three miles from the New Hampshire boarder and Acmeds Quickie Stop has one little island off to the side with Non-ethanol and diesel.
The only place I know that sells regular gas.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The ones I hate are the ones that pull in to the pump on the wrong side and then pull the hose over the trunk and spend 10 min trying to figure out why the dayum thing wont reach. Im sure it aint like the first time they ever put gas in, one would think after that they would know what side the fill cap is on

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Luckly I live three miles from the New Hampshire boarder and Acmeds Quickie Stop has one little island off to the side with Non-ethanol and diesel.
The only place I know that sells regular gas.
You are lucky to have one so close, non-ethanol pumps are far and few in between. Mine closest is about 25 miles away.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
You are lucky to have one so close, non-ethanol pumps are far and few in between. Mine closest is about 25 miles away.
I'm in lake county. They don't all have E0 but there are several within easy driving distance.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Easy to find around me. Nearest is less than 5 miles (it's the closest gas station period), two more within 10 miles that I know of, and I'm pretty sure there's others nearby that I don't know about. Guess there's more demand in my area..