Gas station etiquette. Pull through at the island.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Maybe I’m just getting old and cranky.

When you get to the pump island, pull through to the last pump to gas up. If you don’t, the next guy has to come in from the other direction, or wait behind you while the next pump in the island sits unused.

For me, it’s second nature...Am I the only one, or just old and cranky?!?! 🥺

Reactions: 4 users

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Totally agree with you. Also if the station has a vender selling items in the lot, fruits ,veg, ect. Finish your fueling and move so the next person can fill up. Don't leave your vehicle to go shopping.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
No, your not alone. I do that as well. The only exception is when filling up my gas cans for the mower and small equipment at the house.

The local truck stop has one pull through that has diesel and gas at one pump, non-thanol and gas at the other. Then one other set of pumps that are just gas with drive through on either side.

So the diesel and non-ethanol tend to be a no holds barred affair.

My other pet peeve is if the pumps are extremely busy, park your vehicle after pumping, so someone else isn't stuck waiting for you to run in and do your shopping.

And what really chaps my fanny, is when someone pulls in, blocks the pumps, doesn't need to make a gas or diesel purchase and wonders into the store for a sit down lunch break. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

When you get to the pump island, pull through to the last pump to gas up. If you don’t, the next guy has to come in from the other direction, or wait behind you while the next pump in the island sits unused.

Totally agree, people just don't give a rat's a$$ about anybody but themselves.

My biggest complaint:
Most of the gas stations around here have 20-30 pumps, with (usually) 4 being diesel/gas pumps. Can't count the number of times I've pulled in to fuel my F350 diesel & found 4 gas cars at the diesel/gas pumps getting GAS, while the rest of the 20-30 pumps are open. :mad:
So I sit & wait while they buy ciggs, drinks, snacks, talk & text on the phone, pick their nose, etc.
I've tried explaining it to them, but all I get are blank looks. Can't be logical or sensible with people who have no brain. Sigh.

Reactions: 1 users

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
In some people's defense (not all but some), sometimes you pull in behind someone and right after you run your card or prepay they pull their pump out and drive off. 100% have had that happen to me at a full station when I was running on E with a 36 gallon gas tank. Felt like crap about it, but I'm not going to stop fueling to pull forward just to start fueling again.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
In some people's defense (not all but some), sometimes you pull in behind someone and right after you run your card or prepay they pull their pump out and drive off. 100% have had that happen to me at a full station when I was running on E with a 36 gallon gas tank. Felt like crap about it, but I'm not going to stop fueling to pull forward just to start fueling again.
If I need diesel, I usually hit the pumps for the semi's. They have a DEF nozzle as well at the local truck stop. So I can top up the DEF tank. Then fill up the truck. And have both charges on the same transaction. Plus the nozzles run at a far faster speed.

I've found that the card readers at the automotive pumps have a smaller purchase limit then the semi pumps. Some are as low as $50 where as the semi pumps have a $150 limit or higher. If you need 35 gallons, then you have to run the card a second time when using the automotive pumps.

We had a F250 that had a 25 gallon fuel tank, plus a 45 gallon pup tank plumbed into the fuel tank. So if you ran both tanks down, it could take some time pumping 60 gallons from the automotive pumps.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No, your not alone. I do that as well. The only exception is when filling up my gas cans for the mower and small equipment at the house.

The local truck stop has one pull through that has diesel and gas at one pump, non-thanol and gas at the other. Then one other set of pumps that are just gas with drive through on either side.

So the diesel and non-ethanol tend to be a no holds barred affair.

My other pet peeve is if the pumps are extremely busy, park your vehicle after pumping, so someone else isn't stuck waiting for you to run in and do your shopping.

And what really chaps my fanny, is when someone pulls in, blocks the pumps, doesn't need to make a gas or diesel purchase and wonders into the store for a sit down lunch break. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Amazing what a ball point pen will do to a tire sidewall...lol Then they can have a long lunch after they fix the flat tire.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

All well and good unless the diesel pump is in the middle of the pump stand like ours is. Getting diesel entails a mid pump stand park.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I've had people tell me to fuel only at the truck stops to avoid the above mentioned problems, but all (3) of the nearest truck stops are at least 20 miles away thru heavy city traffic.
And those huge high flow nozzles don't play well with the filler neck of my aftermarket 60 gallon tank.
Even at the lowest flow, my filler neck can't flow enough.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
If I need diesel, I usually hit the pumps for the semi's. They have a DEF nozzle as well at the local truck stop. So I can top up the DEF tank. Then fill up the truck. And have both charges on the same transaction. Plus the nozzles run at a far faster speed.

I've found that the card readers at the automotive pumps have a smaller purchase limit then the semi pumps. Some are as low as $50 where as the semi pumps have a $150 limit or higher. If you need 35 gallons, then you have to run the card a second time when using the automotive pumps.

We had a F250 that had a 25 gallon fuel tank, plus a 45 gallon pup tank plumbed into the fuel tank. So if you ran both tanks down, it could take some time pumping 60 gallons from the automotive pumps.
I said gas not diesel and none of the fuel stations in the area I live have that cutoff.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I said gas not diesel and none of the fuel stations in the area I live have that cutoff.
It varies by establishment in our area. Most have some sort of monetary limit set for debit and credit cards at the pumps in our area. The reason is to cut down the store liability due to credit card fraud. At least thats what the stickers state. If your credit card company refuses to pay because it's a fraudulent transaction, the establishment doesn't get paid for that fuel purchase.

The amount varies as well depending on if it's a personal card, or a commercial fuel card like wrights express or fuelman.

Usually the commercial card is $25 higher on the limits.

I quit filling up at the double bee's up the street. They have the lowest purchase at the pump limits, to where i couldn't fill up my truck with one transaction.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I agree 100% - I think the same way

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special

You`re not alone RCW. One of these days, i`m gonna find out how well my cow pusher on the front of my truck works on cars...lol. Nothing irritates me quicker than stupid people with no common sense, or decency.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Even worse than not pulling through are the idiots that park at the pump and go inside the store to visit and eat lunch leaving their vehicle at a pump for 20 minutes or more. Closest Marathon in Raymond is classic for this. People are too damn lazy to park an extra 30' away from the door so they park at a pump and go in to eat or do their grocery shopping. Owner doesn't seem to care since they are the only station/store in town so I now only stop if I can see a pump open from the road. I've gotten blocked in a pump by people waiting that decide to just go shopping and the person in front shopping. Just enough room to fit 2 cars side by side so no way to get out till they come back.

Reactions: 1 user

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
You can also be stranded looking like a nozzle if you pull up behind the first car then he takes off after you started pumping.........strands you there looking inconsiderate.

The folks that go inside for a coffee and chat and leave the vehicle parked at the pump.

I also deplore the folks that have their choice of pumps for gas and choose the combo gas/Diesel pump and block you from the Diesel........I used to just sit there and idle loudly with my old diesel........and just watch them. Passive aggressive a little.......

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah I have walked into the station more than once and ask some jerkwad to move his car and then go back in and try to hit up the casher, some get mouthy others say opps, and some try to ignore you,, ask 3 times and then maybe just maybe a jack rock finds its way under a tire,,, just sayin

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I concur gents.

Just last week went to Lowes to pick up lumber. It was raining good, parked in parking lot and loaded up materials I had to return. Noticed truck parked under shelter where you can load with no one around it.

Returned my materials waited in line, loaded 10 pieces of OSB waited in line paid for it then pushed cart outside. Truck still there with keys in it. Walked out into rain go my truck waited in line to pull under and load.

The bum still parked there and no one around truck! I started to pull it into the parking lot but figured might no be best idea but I was stewing.

However I was loading the OSB and a gentleman said can I help you and I said I got it. He said I watched you load it in the store let me at least help you unload it into your truck so I said sure and thanked for his kindness.

Jay

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
decided to have some fun one day...
two empty pumps inline , guy in front of me stops at the first one( both gas BTW), so I go around, then backup to pump #1, start filling my empty pickup. He's done in no time, lil rice burner ,then proceeds to yell at me for blocking him...(guess he doesn't know what 'R' is for ??). I ignore him for quite ahwile as he's making a 'scene', others looking at him...