Crazy times. Ammunition thread.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't see the TP hording that was going on before and far as ammo, I have not bought a single 'factory round' in 10 years at least (centerfire), I have purchased 17HMR's and 22 LR's but that is it.

Just sold 1000 55 grain .223 rounds for a buck a round and they guy was tickled to get them. Locally, .223's are going for $1.59 a pop. I gave the guy a deal at a buck. They cost me around 9 cents each.

I love capitalism.

My 338 caliber rounds are topping 8 bucks a pop if you can get them. I have a couple hundred 300 grain loaded Scenars in the cabinet right now.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Are you feeling ok Flip?
You posted the same thing twice on the same day...about 5 hours apart. :unsure:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Try getting medical grade nitrile gloves, the availability is in very short supply and when you do find them the prices are off the charts! o_O

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Or even crap grade (shop use) nitrile or latex gloves were impossible to find for a while, but that is easing somewhat now, although the price is still high. I got down to about 20 pairs before scoring a bunch at PC for a decent price, but now they all seem pretty high priced, when you can find them.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
The factories are running full tilt and the stores are stocking as fast as they are getting ammo. I don't see any reports that government agencies are buying significantly more ammo than usual either (I just did a quick and dirty search so I could be wrong). Seems to me that we have hit an almost perpetual state of people buying everything they can find when they find it because they haven't been able to find any.

Maybe more people are shooting because it is something entertaining to do alone but it just seems to be a self repeating cycle due to this. Ammo manufacturers keep sending stuff out as fast as they can too because it sells immediately.

I would bet good money that if Federal and/or Remington didn't ship out any ammo for a month or two and just built a large stock pile and absolutely flooded the market that the shortage would end and the buying would slow down. I don't expect them to nor am I saying that should or that they are terrible companies (company really because they are owned by the same parent company) because they aren't. I just think it is a mental thing going through the shooting community right now.

If Cabela's, Bass Pro, Walmart, and small gun shops had enough inventory that they could stock the shelves for a week or 2 solid I think the buying frenzy would start to slow.
I agree with you and the Walmart stores in my area stop selling ammo months ago. Sales lady told me that once the ammo was gone be no more. No one even works the counter that I have seen since last fall.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I agree with you and the Walmart stores in my area stop selling ammo months ago. Sales lady told me that once the ammo was gone be no more. No one even works the counter that I have seen since last fall.
My Walmart pulled ammo and guns for a month or so but they have gone back to selling it again. Just none of the ammo stays in stock long enough for normal people to get it. By normal I mean the ones who don't line up outside the door at 4 am to buy it.

If I'm not hunting, normally I just plink things with the .22 or I shoot clays with the shotgun. It is just too expensive of a hobby for me to run through the big rounds like .308. My wife says my tractor hobby is expensive enough ;)

I'll have to up my minimum ammo level after this dies down and pick up reloading both shotgun and rifle so I can weather these storms better.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I thought I had heard that there is some new proposed legislation that will also ban reloading supplies made overseas (possibly TulAmmo and Sellier & Bellot primers)?

I've seen a few videos of people "reloading" primers using other materials like from strip cap guns. I think I'll take a hard pass on that idea.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I thought I had heard that there is some new proposed legislation that will also ban reloading supplies made overseas (possibly TulAmmo and Sellier & Bellot primers)?

I've seen a few videos of people "reloading" primers using other materials like from strip cap guns. I think I'll take a hard pass on that idea.
the strip caps use the same compound that primer uses just in much smaller amounts. I've seen it be used as an alternative for mixing your own if you were going to try and reload rimfire cartridges. However, it is volatile and does not take much to ignite the stuff so probably just a better idea to buy primers.

I haven't seen any proposed legislation to limit reloading supplies from foreign bodies but if one is in the making it'd probably to try and force more American made products to be purchased rather than cheap (maybe soviet surplus) stuff to hit the market. Plus banning any primers and the like would hurt the muzzle loader market too so I doubt anything will come of it if something is introduced.

I know I don't have any plans to buy Tula ever again their spent cartridges kept getting stuck in my gun's chamber after firing.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
the strip caps use the same compound that primer uses just in much smaller amounts. I've seen it be used as an alternative for mixing your own if you were going to try and reload rimfire cartridges. However, it is volatile and does not take much to ignite the stuff so probably just a better idea to buy primers.

I haven't seen any proposed legislation to limit reloading supplies from foreign bodies but if one is in the making it'd probably to try and force more American made products to be purchased rather than cheap (maybe soviet surplus) stuff to hit the market. Plus banning any primers and the like would hurt the muzzle loader market too so I doubt anything will come of it if something is introduced.

I know I don't have any plans to buy Tula ever again their spent cartridges kept getting stuck in my gun's chamber after firing.
The ones I saw were reusing centerfire primers. They were removing the anvils, pressing out the previous dent from the firing pin, then filling with powder from cap guns and replacing the anvils...

I bit too tedious for me.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
The ones I saw were reusing centerfire primers. They were removing the anvils, pressing out the previous dent from the firing pin, then filling with powder from cap guns and replacing the anvils...

I bit too tedious for me.
Interesting

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Anyone loading any 8mm Mauser?

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
I have no need for ammo. Lost all my guns in a boating accident a few years back.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I'm sure you know where I stand on the current administration, comrade..... :rolleyes:

Far as ammunition is concerned, I took advantage of the current situation myself and sold 1000 .223's for $1000.00 which is quite a bit less than the going price locally of $1.59 a round.

Being the capitalist I am, I have no issue with it and having way more than I'll ever need, selling 1000 don't even put a dent in my inventory.

Made about 500% profit. I can deal with that just fine.

Heck, my 338 Lapua, the loaded (factory) rounds are over 7 bucks each. I have at least 200 loaded with 300 grain Scenars.

I have enough reloading supplies to last decades. No issue here, cases of primers, 8 pound jugs of propellant, ammo boxes full of cases, you name it, I have it in spades.

I figured I'd sell some off and a buck a pop was reasonable, considering the current market.. I have thousands more.
The Christian thing to do would be to share your largess with those less fortunate. If you have more than you will ever use or need, share the wealth comrade.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The Christian thing to do would be to share your largess with those less fortunate. If you have more than you will ever use or need, share the wealth comrade.

Armylifer, I agree with the principle you express, however one caveat that has been introduced by our government over the years is there are a lot of things one can get "free". Just put your hands out with palms facing up and hands open.... and someone is suppose to fill it.

I will help anyone needing help, if they are in a situation of necessity. My willingness to give lessens as i see they are where they are by their choices and don't change.

If the receiver does not have a "dog in the fight" they probably will never change a habit of bad choices and continue wanting "the bargain" or "free-be". So in my opinion, SideCar did help one in need by offering his ammo at a price not available any where else.