Crazy times. Ammunition thread.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The Christian thing to do would be to share your largess with those less fortunate. If you have more than you will ever use or need, share the wealth comrade.
I did, I sold them BELOW the current local market price. Current price here is $1.59 a pop. I sold them for a buck a pop. He got a deal and I made about 700% profit. Not bad for him (he had none) or me (I still have at least 3000).

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I have no need for ammo. Lost all my guns in a boating accident a few years back.
Was It the you or Skeets that ran over me on the lake causing the loss of all my firearms, reloading equipment ,& supplies :eek:
I had dies for 7"62 but not 8mm.
My problem is I was raised to remember, guns/ammo are for BUYING, not SELLING. Even my late Granny who was a " yellow dog democrat " & FDR her hero, believed that one day the Constitution could be gone.
I still have at least 3000).
only 3000 ? That's darn near like going to Walmart neckked.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
If you think that finding ammo is bad now.... just wait a couple of months. You'll have to go through Kubota financing for a box-- assuming its still legal to have ammo..

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Armylifer, I agree with the principle you express, however one caveat that has been introduced by our government over the years is there are a lot of things one can get "free". Just put your hands out with palms facing up and hands open.... and someone is suppose to fill it.

I will help anyone needing help, if they are in a situation of necessity. My willingness to give lessens as i see they are where they are by their choices and don't change.

If the receiver does not have a "dog in the fight" they probably will never change a habit of bad choices and continue wanting "the bargain" or "free-be". So in my opinion, SideCar did help one in need by offering his ammo at a price not available any where else.
D2Cat, I think you may have missed the real sense of what I was saying. I used the word "comrade" at the end to suggest exactly what you said above. I think Sidecar got it because he liked my post.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Lakes around here are getting pretty shallow.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Lakes around here are getting pretty shallow.
1611866185633.png

They have had to start drudging the lakes around here because they were getting so full.

• Haha

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Was It the you or Skeets that ran over me on the lake causing the loss of all my firearms, reloading equipment ,& supplies :eek:
Since I have a pontoon, it's unlikely I could get going fast enough to run over anything bigger than a duck.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What guns...?!?! what ammo...?!?! :rolleyes:

Except for the couple on my pistol permit, haven’t had any since that fishing trip I took with skeets, and I think I saw poohbear......but very briefly....:p

While the losses were tragic, no Guinness or Jameson were harmed in the malady...oh, wait, weren't any left....🍻

skeets was driving the boat....that’s also my story.... :oops:

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Dam i hate when that happens
Problem is, if they are registered and there is a mandatory turn in, you have to prove that you lost them in a boating accident. I suggest you file a police report to that effect but be careful. Filing a false police report is a felony.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Good news is I just got back from Walmart and they had about 1500 rounds of 12 ga. and a box of 7.62x51. So while these are very low amounts it beats what it was like last week where there wasn't anything. I only picked up 200 of the 12 ga though because that's what I needed and I'm not going to buy out the shelf just because it is there.

Maybe a good sign that this is slowing down.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
It is quiet amazing!

Bought my daughter a 410 for Christmas and could not find ammo anywhere. Luckily had a friend that was going to give me a box so she could shoot her new gun.

Then few days before Christmas found some at a small hunting store 10 minutes from my house. And, the price was very fair at $12 a box.

We have a shooting range and love to plink but have that on hold until some things reach a new norm. I can get 9mm but not at $27 to $30 a box.
Creature Meadow, I have a little over/under 410 shotgun I use for tree rats and rabbit control now that some neighbors are closing in on me. To get away from the high price of factory ammo for it I found that you can quite easily turn .444 Marlin brass into .410 shot shell. I hand load them with some simple home made tools and they work great! With the shell being brass it should last just about forever. The only modification necessary for my shotgun was the Marlin rims were a little thicker than the .410 shotshell and trimming the lettering off the ends seemed to be enough to allow the break action to close on the brass shells. I doubt they'd work well in a pump action. But for dropping them in by hand they work just fine.
You can google for load data and supplies, information, etc. I have about $4 per box into the reloads. My supplies were bought a year ago, though.
444 Marlin into 410 shotgun.JPG Resizing 444 Marlin Rim.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Creature Meadow, I have a little over/under 410 shotgun I use for tree rats and rabbit control now that some neighbors are closing in on me. To get away from the high price of factory ammo for it I found that you can quite easily turn .444 Marlin brass into .410 shot shell. I hand load them with some simple home made tools and they work great! With the shell being brass it should last just about forever. The only modification necessary for my shotgun was the Marlin rims were a little thicker than the .410 shotshell and trimming the lettering off the ends seemed to be enough to allow the break action to close on the brass shells. I doubt they'd work well in a pump action. But for dropping them in by hand they work just fine.
You can google for load data and supplies, information, etc. I have about $4 per box into the reloads. My supplies were bought a year ago, though.
View attachment 54057 View attachment 54058
That is seriously cool. Many years ago I used to trim 30-06 brass to make .45 ACP shells. It was cool to go to the range and show people .45 ACP ammo with a 30-06 headstamp. I also used to neck down 32 Winchester Special brass to make 30-30 Winchester ammo. I also did visa-versa to make 32 Winchester Special ammo. However, once I resized the neck of one to make the other, I never went back to the original caliber ammo with that brass. That would just be stressing the brass too much.

Reactions: 1 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I was once told there was three types of people, those who can and do, those who want to but can't and those who can but wont. I'm all for helping out the first two but I was taught to work for what I want. The thought of a hand out or whining until something is given to you doesn't sit well with me. Neither does the need to label everyone and categorize them. I am a/an (insert adjective here). Really? Back to my upbringing again, everyone is equal in the eyes of the Lord so who are we to make it otherwise? God does not see me as a white, heterosexual, male, coffee drinking neat eater so why in the world would I feel the need to introduce my self as this? I may need to update my profile now:)

On the topic of this thread, I started building my reserves pre Obama and when he took office, shifted from overpriced rounds to components. I need to get a reloader, but have no idea what the basic setup is that I would need. I know I need dies for the calibers but other than that, what else is essential that you do not get in a base kit and is one brand better quality than the other? Would be nice to have a course somewhere to be able to take for this. I checked my local gun clubs/retailers and they do not offer it as part of their education.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Before my Dad died, he showed me a couple US Army MP 12ga rounds that he brought home from the military- they were full length brass shells. They found that constantly loading & unloading the shells at shift changes were wearing out paper & plastic shells. My brother took them and either shot them or sold them at a garage sale for 25 cents.
Before the lake incident, I had some Russian made .410 that were full length mild steel cases. They looked a lot like .444 Marlins. :)

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
On the topic of this thread, I started building my reserves pre Obama and when he took office, shifted from overpriced rounds to components. I need to get a reloader, but have no idea what the basic setup is that I would need. I know I need dies for the calibers but other than that, what else is essential that you do not get in a base kit and is one brand better quality than the other? Would be nice to have a course somewhere to be able to take for this. I checked my local gun clubs/retailers and they do not offer it as part of their education.
Not to lead you to a different site (if it is not allowed please remove this post), but Reddit has a fantastic reloading thread (r/reloading) that has a beginners guide/faq that has a ton of suggestions for price range options from dirt cheap to expensive as well as manual suggestions and other odds and ends stuff that is recommended for reloading.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Not to lead you to a different site (if it is not allowed please remove this post), but Reddit has a fantastic reloading thread (r/reloading) that has a beginners guide/faq that has a ton of suggestions for price range options from dirt cheap to expensive as well as manual suggestions and other odds and ends stuff that is recommended for reloading.
There are tons of sites that discuss reloading and techniques and tools. Just search with DDG.