Crazy times. Ammunition thread.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Creature Meadow, I have a little over/under 410 shotgun I use for tree rats and rabbit control now that some neighbors are closing in on me. To get away from the high price of factory ammo for it I found that you can quite easily turn .444 Marlin brass into .410 shot shell. I hand load them with some simple home made tools and they work great! With the shell being brass it should last just about forever. The only modification necessary for my shotgun was the Marlin rims were a little thicker than the .410 shotshell and trimming the lettering off the ends seemed to be enough to allow the break action to close on the brass shells. I doubt they'd work well in a pump action. But for dropping them in by hand they work just fine.
You can google for load data and supplies, information, etc. I have about $4 per box into the reloads. My supplies were bought a year ago, though.
View attachment 54057 View attachment 54058
My needs (OK, wants) are a little different. I bought a few boxes of .410 brass hulls a while back just for fun. Thought about using them in the single barrel or Judge. Then there was this mental image of dropping a pair into a double barrel and having a nostalgic sorta walk this coming small game season.

Problem is I don't HAVE a double barrel .410 shotgun, and for some reason they are scarce around here.

Attachments

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Things may be a bit different, but the shortages will ease. Although, I think there are more hurtles this time. Eventually supply will catch up with demand. Like SidecarFlip, I have enough shooting supplies to last the rest of my days. Anything I might want to buy now would be more an annoyance than a need.

But, the secret to all of this is to keep your cool. Don't panic buy. Let everyone else pay the inflated prices. When they all run out of money, supplies will return. prices will go down and then you can stock up.
Remember the days of walking into a Cabela's and coming out with a shopping cart of ammo? Probably could buy a truck with that amount of ammo now.

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My needs (OK, wants) are a little different. I bought a few boxes of .410 brass hulls a while back just for fun. Thought about using them in the single barrel or Judge. Then there was this mental image of dropping a pair into a double barrel and having a nostalgic sorta walk this coming small game season.

Problem is I don't HAVE a double barrel .410 shotgun, and for some reason they are scarce around here.
Your Magtech brass would be the ideal brass for reloading .410 shot shells. There was none to be had anywhere when I was looking so I settled for the .444 marlin brass and turned the rims down on the lathe. The marlin brass is just a little shorter than your magtech but for light loads and short range shooting they work fine for me. I believe there's an outfit that also turns out longer 3" brass shells on a lathe but they are also quite spendy with a long lead time on production.

You're idea of a double barrel .410 would be pretty cool. Like a stage coach shotgun? Don't give up on that idea and post pics of it when it's in your hands!!

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I was into Cabelas after work yesterday to pick up a shotgun I had ordered online then shipped to the nearest store.
The ammo inventory was 3 boxes of steel shot 12 ga and 20 ga. , 6 boxes of 6mm creedmore and thee boxes of Nosler for $80. a box.
Its really sad in the country we live in we can buy ammo any longer. Plenty
20210130_174006 bullets.jpg
20210130_174006 bullets.jpg of dope stores have opened here in Maine since being legalized and no shortage of dope in thoses stores im sure.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
That's nuts. We don't have a Cabela's here, but have one in the next town over. However, I have wanted to stop somewhere in town like Academy Sports just to see the ammo shelves. I don't know why, just stupid curiosity.

My coworker, who is a fanatical deer hunter, was complaining yesterday about not being able to find ammo. He said his brother found some, which will get him through the year. I told him a year or two back to buy the components, save his brass and I could reload them. He wouldn't do it. He does not think brass is worth keeping and leaves it on the ground or throws it in the bushes he said. I let him borrow a 300 Blackout Rifle to let his daughter use it because she (or him) wanted to shoot a deer and she was scared of larger rifles. I gave him a couple of boxes and said let her shoot some to be comfortable with the rifle. I said to just save my brass and put it in the box. The rifle was a break open single shot, so that shouldn't be an issue. Well, when he returned the rifle, he gave me back my two boxes. One box was not used and the other box was empty.....no brass in it. I asked him where the brass was, and he said, "Oh, I keep forgetting not to throw brass away."

So, I made no more offers to reload for him. He will just have to source his ammo somewhere else. :)

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My coworker, who is a fanatical deer hunter, was complaining yesterday about not being able to find ammo. He said his brother found some, which will get him through the year. I told him a year or two back to buy the components, save his brass and I could reload them. He wouldn't do it. He does not think brass is worth keeping and leaves it on the ground or throws it in the bushes he said. I let him borrow a 300 Blackout Rifle to let his daughter use it because she (or him) wanted to shoot a deer and she was scared of larger rifles. I gave him a couple of boxes and said let her shoot some to be comfortable with the rifle. I said to just save my brass and put it in the box. The rifle was a break open single shot, so that shouldn't be an issue. Well, when he returned the rifle, he gave me back my two boxes. One box was not used and the other box was empty.....no brass in it. I asked him where the brass was, and he said, "Oh, I keep forgetting not to throw brass away."
People like that really make me angry. If he didn't know any better, it would be one thing. But you do him a very nice favor, (at your cost) and the only thing you ask is for him to save the brass, and he throws it away.
He goes on my A$$h@le list.
(that list is getting pretty long these days)

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
On the posts about sharing ammo, I gave that thought long ago. I figure if the " fit hits the Shan " and we suddenly live in a world that defense of food/shelter is #1, we can't be loners but join with good neighbors & family etc . There will only be good folks & bad folks in such times.
I will share then with others . Recently I have shared with some family & a close friend that we consider family. I had to go swimming to find some but didn't have to stay in the cold water long. My Daughter needed 380 & 12ga & the friend had no 556/223 so fixed her up too
Before I was swamped while out canoeing & lost everything I allways policed the range I shoot at for brass. I had so much 9mm & 223 brass it wasn't funny. I too would offer to reload brass for cost but some folks just didn't " get it " . Pistol was so easy with my Dillon progressive I could run several hundred an hour. A buddy that shoots competively has a Dillon way fancier and he can run one thousand an hr of 9 or 45. He has the bullet & I think case feed. I use a RCBS single For rifle except 223 which runs on the Dillon.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have been reloading for more than 40 years with a Lyman Orange Crusher single stage press. I quit reloading last year and gave all my stuff away to my son. His kids are learning to reload using the same equipment that I used.

One thing I did not see in this thread is people casting their own bullets. I used to have a job where I had to do a lot of soldering. The BOM would always include a 25 pound reel of soldier. I never used more than a couple of pounds of it per job and took the rest home. I have cast 50 cal, 45 cal, 357 cal. 451 round ball, and mini balls for many years. 60/40 soldier is good for making sub-sonic loads. Minimal lead fowling and little to moderate deformation. I never needed to add a gas check to the bullets either. Now my grandchildren are learning to reload the way that I did. No fancy new automatic machines or progressive presses for them.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been basically following along but I would never use a semi auto press. Too much a chance for in accurate propellant charge.

Not about loading speed at all. I'm about accuracy. consistent velocity and constant POI.

No point in having a high speed reloading machine anyway as there is little to reload anyway and I suspect it will get a lot worse.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Been basically following along but I would never use a semi auto press. Too much a chance for in accurate propellant charge.

Not about loading speed at all. I'm about accuracy. consistent velocity and constant POI.

No point in having a high speed reloading machine anyway as there is little to reload anyway and I suspect it will get a lot worse.
To each their own Flip. I think it really depends on the shooter and what their intentions are. I have a progressive press and can assure you that it loads VERY consistently. Powder throw never varies beyond 1/10th grain. If you shoot as much pistol as I do, you'd appreciate what a progressive press can do.

For large rifle bench rest matches, I'd agree with your assessment.

as poohbear mentions below, you can simply install one die in the progressive press if you like to take your time.

Poohbear

Equipment
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States

Your welcome to open & weigh charge on any round that has been loaded on my Dillon. I have found that only those that don't have a progressive press are the only ones that don't like them.
I started reloading .300 Savage in hi school days with a Lee Loader, one round at a time using a hammer & thier powder spoons. Was a really cheap way to make ammo, just took forever. I still have the Savage out in the lake somewhere but that old Lee Loader got away back in the 70's

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Still have the RCBS Rock Chucker I started with around 1975. Added a Dillon 550 and a Square Deal B (in .45ACP). Also picked up a MEC in 12GA probably 25 or 30 years ago.

Oldest boy and I were rabid dove hunters when he was in his teens till he went to college. Youngest son has some interest in hunting and the middle son is mostly into bullseye competition and plinking.

Somewhat related - anyone familiar with Final Flight Outfitters in TN?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am still cranking along with an RCBS Jr. but unless the supply line gets refilled at some point I/we will run out of components.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I am still cranking along with an RCBS Jr. but unless the supply line gets refilled at some point I/we will run out of components.
That, my friend, is a very real possibility.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
20ga stuff is getting hard to find as well AA if you can find them, shotcups getting harder and harder. You use to be able to get a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights at any tire shop for a couple bucks, good luck with that now

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Was passing a big 5 sporting goods today, and stopped in on a whim.
They had (1) box 20ga, (1) box 28ga, (1) 5 round box 20ga turkey, and (1) box of 300 win mag.
Most ammo I've seen in a store in a long time. :rolleyes:

Poohbear

Equipment
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Call/write your Congressman/Senator about S. Jackson lees bill for national registration of all firearms,ammo, a national license etc. H.R.127 and Pelosi let it proceed to committee. It even calls for psych profile

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I see Ruger has a new pistol a Ruger 57 its called. I think its 5.7 x 28mm rounds.
I've looked around some and see one in a store in New Hampshire. BUT I have yet to find any ammo for it at all. I thought of buying the ammo before getting the pistol. Crazy I know. But is it crazy to buy a pistol when the chance of getting ammo is very very slim.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I see Ruger has a new pistol a Ruger 57 its called. I think its 5.7 x 28mm rounds.
I've looked around some and see one in a store in New Hampshire. BUT I have yet to find any ammo for it at all. I thought of buying the ammo before getting the pistol. Crazy I know. But is it crazy to buy a pistol when the chance of getting ammo is very very slim.
I haven't bough a factory loaded round in 20 years except for rimfire 22LR, 17 HMR's and Mach 2's. I make all my own stuff including wildcats.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL

I think 5.7X28 was a bit expensive before the ammo crisis. I don't own anything in that cartridge, but I have looked at them a while back out of curiosity. The price of ammo was a big turnoff for me.