xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
This is my cheap ballast setup:
IMG_20200926_121416641_HDR.jpg

A standard 2 inch receiver cargo carrier with 4 16X16X4 concrete blocks (about 97lbs each). These days, I secure the blocks with ratchet straps in place.

Reactions: 1 users

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I placed an order with the local dealer - super nice people. They quoted 10% off MSRP on the BX1880 which seems to be a solid deal from my research.

I went with 48" MMM and the LA344S. They're going to load the rear tires with beet juice as well. They're waiting on the 48" deck to come in, but they have the tractor and the loader. I drove it around their lot a little bit and felt it's the right size for me - I'd be very hesitant to go any bigger for the land I'm dealing with. One thing that I was shocked by is how awesome power steering is.

The lady at the dealer has a similar size driveway to mine and just uses the loader on her BX to clear snow- she said with a larger driveway she'd tell me to do something else, but with the space I have to clear she'd start with the loader because it may be enough. If not, a snow pusher for the SSQA loader isn't super expensive. The snowblower is tough to justify with cost versus the amount of space I'm clearing.

I keep reading about spacers and think they'd be helpful for some of my uneven terrain - does anyone here use the 1.4 or 2" spacers on a BX with the 48" deck? I emailed Bro-Tek because their install instructions with size guidelines have nonsensical wording around what fits with that deck, but maybe someone has first hand experience.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I placed an order with the local dealer - super nice people. They quoted 10% off MSRP on the BX1880 which seems to be a solid deal from my research.

I went with 48" MMM and the LA344S. They're going to load the rear tires with beet juice as well. They're waiting on the 48" deck to come in, but they have the tractor and the loader. I drove it around their lot a little bit and felt it's the right size for me - I'd be very hesitant to go any bigger for the land I'm dealing with. One thing that I was shocked by is how awesome power steering is.

The lady at the dealer has a similar size driveway to mine and just uses the loader on her BX to clear snow- she said with a larger driveway she'd tell me to do something else, but with the space I have to clear she'd start with the loader because it may be enough. If not, a snow pusher for the SSQA loader isn't super expensive. The snowblower is tough to justify with cost versus the amount of space I'm clearing.

I keep reading about spacers and think they'd be helpful for some of my uneven terrain - does anyone here use the 1.4 or 2" spacers on a BX with the 48" deck? I emailed Bro-Tek because their install instructions with size guidelines have nonsensical wording around what fits with that deck, but maybe someone has first hand experience.
Congratulations. Sounds like a nice little set up. Unwritten rule (well it gets written, like herein) is you’re supposed to share a couple photos of the new machine.

I wouldn’t worry about spacers if your old lawn tractor was up to it. If you do decide to, make sure you don’t have issues with the MMM fitment. Sounds like you intend to pull the deck in the winter, so if you end up with tire chains and spacers I guess you won’t have a conflict if the deck is off.

Wish I’d seen this thread sooner. I’d have advised against the “S” model FEL. Too many moving parts (to not work right) to make a very easy task maybe 5% easier. I have the S model FEL on my B. It worked right one time. If you don’t babysit it, you’ll end up with bent parts. So now it’s a liability the non-S model doesn’t have. Keep an eye on it, the support legs like to get hung up and just barely not drop down.

Have fun with it. Don’t be shy on getting that plow.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Congratulations. Sounds like a nice little set up. Unwritten rule (well it gets written, like herein) is you’re supposed to share a couple photos of the new machine.

I wouldn’t worry about spacers if your old lawn tractor was up to it. If you do decide to, make sure you don’t have issues with the MMM fitment. Sounds like you intend to pull the deck in the winter, so if you end up with tire chains and spacers I guess you won’t have a conflict if the deck is off.

Wish I’d seen this thread sooner. I’d have advised against the “S” model FEL. Too many moving parts (to not work right) to make a very easy task maybe 5% easier. I have the S model FEL on my B. It worked right one time. If you don’t babysit it, you’ll end up with bent parts. So now it’s a liability the non-S model doesn’t have. Keep an eye on it, the support legs like to get hung up and just barely not drop down.

Have fun with it. Don’t be shy on getting that plow.
I'll definitely post pictures once I get it. They said the 48" MMM is less common and they ordered one since the dealers they trade with also didn't have one. They think it is readily available through Kubota, though so they didn't anticipate any big delays.

It seems like the S vs not debate is fairly evenly split. I went back and forth myself quite a bit. Thanks for the heads up on the potential issues to watch out for.

I do plan to pull the deck in the winter - my concern with the spacers was indeed whether they'd clear the anti-scalp wheels on the mowing deck.

There's one sideways slope that I'd like to mow with the tractor if possible, but it isn't a big deal if stability is too much of an issue (it's really not that big, so it doesn't save a ton of time over the push mower). It was doable on my x500, but it was about at the limits of what I'd be willing to do. It sounds like a BX is probably a little more tippy, so it may not be something I want to attempt with it but I guess I won't know until I have it. It starts out fairly flat and gradually becomes a slope so I can test the waters somewhat without testing so far that I risk rolling it. They're loading the tires which will probably help as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
If I remember correctly, wheel spacers is a no no according to the manual. Will have to check it again to be sure. Better to upgrade the tires to the BX23 series. Gives a couple inches lift. My 1880 came with turf tires but I upgraded to skid steer tires for better traction in the winter. I will swap them out in the spring for mowing. Make sure yours comes with a 3 point system in the back. Will come in handy for a ballast box or back blade.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Congrats to the OP in avoiding the “just a little bit bigger” trap that its easy to fall into with Kubota SCUT/CUTs. BX2680, B2601, LXwhatever, L2502. Each successive size is “just a little larger” than its predecessor. Next thing you know a big Grand L, MX or M is looking like the right size.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Congrats to the OP in avoiding the “just a little bit bigger” trap that its easy to fall into with Kubota SCUT/CUTs. BX2680, B2601, LXwhatever, L2502. Each successive size is “just a little larger” than its predecessor. Next thing you know a big Grand L, MX or M is looking like the right size.
Once I subtract the buildings, driveway, patio, etc. I'm only talking about a half acre of lawn. A BX1880 already feels like significantly more than I need. I saw no reason to go higher.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
But agreed it is of very limited use.

Until you have one...then you can't help but use it for just about everything.

The "Hoe Paradox" is very strange indeed, you think that you don't need one, but once you have one, you will say "damn, how did I get along without this before?"

Best 10K I ever spent. Love it and use it all the time.

Even at parties.......hahahahah

20230625_160020[1].jpg

and just try to keep your grandson off of it.....

20230603_125610[1].jpg

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Until you have one...then you can't help but use it for just about everything.

The "Hoe Paradox" is very strange indeed, you think that you don't need one, but once you have one, you will say "damn, how did I get along without this before?"

Best 10K I ever spent. Love it and use it all the time.

Even at parties.......hahahahah

View attachment 122343

and just try to keep your grandson off of it.....

View attachment 122344
I think I recognize that party hoe. Kind of a sloppy mess when it gets tore up IIRC. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I live on a river where pretty much anything I could do with a backhoe falls into a category that's supposed to go before the conservation commission for approval, so it'd be tough to justify owning one.

Fortunately, all the work I'd have wanted to do was done (probably illegally) by a long-dead previous owner so I get all the benefits without any of the potential consequences.

You wouldn't be able to get a permit to build my house today.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Personally I gave myself two parameters: At least a 60" WB and an overall length greater then 100", then I went looking.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

Sounds like a great dealer. What dealer did you make your purchase from?

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I've actually had the tractor for several weeks now and realized I hadn't posted a photo. I used it to help a friend spread some crushed stone around at his house and took this photo just before I finished unloading it when I got it back home. My Big Tex 16 ft car hauler works great for transporting it.

I haven't been able to use it for much at home yet - just moving some snow as we've gotten little storms. I'm waiting for the ground to dry out and firm up before I start my real projects. I added a Heavy Hitch 3-point drawbar/receiver. It was my first time hooking something up to a 3-point hitch and I might be too much of a perfectionist for that - I was going back and forth with a level and tape measure trying to get it perfect even though it really doesn't matter that much. Then I realized it's slightly off anyway because my garage floor slopes to the center. I don't like using the truck to get the trailer out back because it's super tight and the well is kind of in the way. I used to use the ATV to do it. The tractor is awesome for that - being able to raise or lower the trailer tongue with the 3-point is very handy.

I bought a mason jar strainer for the diesel tank and I think that was money well spent. It fits perfectly, and shockingly it's already picked up a couple little things in the ~2 gallons of fuel I've put in it. I have also since moved the LED spotlights down to the lower part of the ROPS so they're functional with it folded.

Dealer was Bacon's in Williamsburg, MA - great people to work with.

PXL_20240303_215000205.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users