Considering a BX1880

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a John Deere x500 with a 48" mowing deck and 44" snowblower attachment. It does 90% of what I ask of it, but the other 10% of the time I really wish I had 4WD. In the winter I have chains, suitcase weights, and the machine has diff lock but I still need to be careful not to get too daring on hills or I'll get it stuck. I have a coworker who wants to find a used machine just like mine, so I thought maybe I'll give him a good deal on it and buy myself something new.

I thought about a 4WD x700 series machine, but with the price of those you might as well just buy a subcompact.

So, I've been considering a BX1880 with the loader and 48" MMM. I think it's a little more than I truly need without being so big that it's a burden for some tasks (I only have about 3/4 of an acre - all cleared). The price point and 0% deal are also really appealing.
  • I'd be using the machine primarily for mowing and clearing snow. I'd also be looking to replace my ATV's minimal duties, like moving brush, wood, mulch, and soil around the property with a dump cart, ripping out shrubs, moving my small car hauler trailer behind the house (a little tough to use the truck to get it back there with how tight it is). There have also been situations where I've thought a front end loader would have saved me a ton of time, like making a gravel pad for my shed a couple years ago. Does a BX1880 sound like a good machine for this sort of work?
  • I like my snowblower attachment, but I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction again or not. Truthfully, I often find myself pushing snow straight off the sides of the driveway in short passes, which I think would be doable with a front end loader.
  • Does anyone know the lead time on something like this? There's a Kubota dealer with a good reputation about a half hour from work - I just need to find a time to get out and talk to them - trying to determine if I should hurry up in order to see something in the spring, or if this is an easy machine to get.
Thanks for any feedback!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a John Deere x500 with a 48" mowing deck and 44" snowblower attachment. It does 90% of what I ask of it, but the other 10% of the time I really wish I had 4WD. In the winter I have chains, suitcase weights, and the machine has diff lock but I still need to be careful not to get too daring on hills or I'll get it stuck. I have a coworker who wants to find a used machine just like mine, so I thought maybe I'll give him a good deal on it and buy myself something new.

I thought about a 4WD x700 series machine, but with the price of those you might as well just buy a subcompact.

So, I've been considering a BX1880 with the loader and 48" MMM. I think it's a little more than I truly need without being so big that it's a burden for some tasks (I only have about 3/4 of an acre - all cleared). The price point and 0% deal are also really appealing.
  • I'd be using the machine primarily for mowing and clearing snow. I'd also be looking to replace my ATV's minimal duties, like moving brush, wood, mulch, and soil around the property with a dump cart, ripping out shrubs, moving my small car hauler trailer behind the house (a little tough to use the truck to get it back there with how tight it is). There have also been situations where I've thought a front end loader would have saved me a ton of time, like making a gravel pad for my shed a couple years ago. Does a BX1880 sound like a good machine for this sort of work?
  • I like my snowblower attachment, but I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction again or not. Truthfully, I often find myself pushing snow straight off the sides of the driveway in short passes, which I think would be doable with a front end loader.
  • Does anyone know the lead time on something like this? There's a Kubota dealer with a good reputation about a half hour from work - I just need to find a time to get out and talk to them - trying to determine if I should hurry up in order to see something in the spring, or if this is an easy machine to get.
Thanks for any feedback!

I see that you are in NE.
I have had good experience with Chappell Tractor in Milford, NH.
Not so good, with Norfolk Power Equip in MA.

Reactions: 1 user

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I'm near the MA/VT border so Milford NH is pretty far! I've heard good things about two dealers out this way, though.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
No sales tax in NH !!!!!
That is a good point! MA technically has a use tax, but they have a "safe harbor" number you can use when you file instead of reporting. It would save over $1000.

Edit - Apparently to be by the book you are still supposed to add purchases over $1000 to the safe harbor amount.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have had good experiences with both Chappell and Norfolk. Not so much with Townline Equipment. Chappell has 3 locations in New Hampshire and I have ordered parts from MB Tractor and they went overboard to get me what I needed. MB has I believe 8 stores in New England, and if one store doesn't have what you are looking for, they can get it from one of their other stores. I purchased my first tractor from Pinnicleview in Keene and they were a good dealer at the time, however, since I haven't used them in more than 20 years, I have no idea how good they might be today. If I had to pick, then I would go with either Chappell or MB Tractor depending on which gives you the better price.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That is a good point! MA technically has a use tax, but they have a "safe harbor" number you can use when you file instead of reporting. It would save over $1000.

"Reporting"......what/why ???
I would simply pay for, and pick your machine up in NH, and drive home.
If you ask too many questions, you may eventually get an answer that you do not like!
To avoid unnecessary questions, I would simply cover the machine with a tarp while transporting to your home.
Kubota makes wonderful stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any feedback!
I would think that a plow would be better suited for pushing the snow off the edge of the road. You need to be careful that you don't go over the edge yourself with the tractor. I use both a snowblower and then do a final cleanup with a plow. The only time that I use the plow first is when there is a lot of slush on the road because it rained after it snowed. Each of these implements has its place in snow removal.
I would buy the most machine that you can fit into your budget. I never heard someone say "I wish that I bought a less powerful tractor", but I am certain that someone somewhere out there will say it now that I have made this comment.

Seane1987

Equipment
LX2610SU TLB, BX2350
Jul 18, 2021
Lafayette NY
Bx1880 sounds like a good match for you, shouldn't be much of a lead time if any, bx and the loader should be readily available. Loaders don't typically work well for snow removal, get a blade you can angle and you will be much happier.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I have had good experiences with both Chappell and Norfolk. Not so much with Townline Equipment. Chappell has 3 locations in New Hampshire and I have ordered parts from MB Tractor and they went overboard to get me what I needed. MB has I believe 8 stores in New England, and if one store doesn't have what you are looking for, they can get it from one of their other stores. I purchased my first tractor from Pinnicleview in Keene and they were a good dealer at the time, however, since I haven't used them in more than 20 years, I have no idea how good they might be today. If I had to pick, then I would go with either Chappell or MB Tractor depending on which gives you the better price.
Most of those places are pretty far - which I'm not necessarily opposed to. I have a small car hauler that I could bring it home with. However, I do like to give local places a shot first since having a relationship probably isn't a bad thing should there be warranty issues or anything down the road.

Sometimes it doesn't work out and is too much of a price difference to ignore - like with my truck I could not get the local guys to give me invoice pricing but a dealer two hours away didn't hesitate so that's where I went.

"Reporting"......what/why ???
I would simply pay for, and pick your machine up in NH, and drive home.
If you ask too many questions, you may eventually get an answer that you do not like!
To avoid unnecessary questions, I would simply cover the machine with a tarp while transporting to your home.
Kubota makes wonderful stuff!
Yeah, I hear you. The likelihood of the state finding out is slim to none.

I would think that a plow would be better suited for pushing the snow off the edge of the road. You need to be careful that you don't go over the edge yourself with the tractor. I use both a snowblower and then do a final cleanup with a plow. The only time that I use the plow first is when there is a lot of slush on the road because it rained after it snowed. Each of these implements has its place in snow removal.
I would buy the most machine that you can fit into your budget. I never heard someone say "I wish that I bought a less powerful tractor", but I am certain that someone somewhere out there will say it now that I have made this comment.
A plow makes sense - part of my hesitance on another snowblower is the cost of that attachment might start to push me past what I want to spend. A plow would probably be half that if I had to guess. I used one on my ATV for a while and it worked okay - biggest obstacle was the machine was just not heavy enough to push more significant amounts, but even a little BX weighs a lot more than that does. The side of the driveway isn't a steep edge or anything - just enough for snow to have a place to fall and pile up a bit. It's mowable sideways with my x500.

I do like the idea of getting a 48" deck. My current 48 is perfect for a few tighter spaces.

Bx1880 sounds like a good match for you, shouldn't be much of a lead time if any, bx and the loader should be readily available. Loaders don't typically work well for snow removal, get a blade you can angle and you will be much happier.
Second vote for a blade - I'll look in that direction, thanks!

It looks like the loader on these machines comes off really easy. Would a blade be a similar swap? I'm thinking I use the blade and have the loader on standby that I can hook up if I need to push banks back or move snow around.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
I do not keep my BX at my home, but two of my neighbors remove snow with their subcompact loaders. Driveways are about 200 feet long. I usually finish up a half hour before they do using a Honda snowblower and a cleaner driveway to boot.

If I were putting something on my tractor to move snow, I would get a pusher box.

Seane1987

Equipment
LX2610SU TLB, BX2350
Jul 18, 2021
Lafayette NY
It looks like the loader on these machines comes off really easy. Would a blade be a similar swap? I'm thinking I use the blade and have the loader on standby that I can hook up if I need to push banks back or move snow around.
Lots of options for blades, if you are getting a loader, the most economical way to go would probably be to get the skid steer quick attach, then you can take the bucket off and put the blade on the loader, a snow pusher (Kind of like a boxblade) for the front might be a good option as well

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Options and opinions...
I don't know the price difference but maybe consider the BX2380 ?A few more horsepower would help with loader duties and pull more 'things'.
Something else to consider is NOT buying the MMM, instead find a good 48" gas powered 'rider'. Having an 'all-in-one' machine is for the younger, fit crowd, and sooner or later you'll be like me 70 and not wanting to get down ,let alone crawl under ANY machine. I've had a dedicated snow rider AND a riding lawn machine for 20+years. Two machines isn't really twice the upkeep as they're 'seasonal'.
Five years ago when I bought my BX23S ( BX2380 with BH ) ,dealer said 'MMM ?' NOT for $2500! At the time I could buy 2 or 3 good riders for that..more than a lifetime of cutting on this 1 acre parcel.
For sure get the SSQA loader ! While the bucket is good, having pallet forks is GREAT ! I've moved acres of neighbour's brush using them as 'poor man's grapples',move skids of stuff, here,there, everywhere. All my neighbour's appreciate the help my 'orange machine' gives.Lifetime supply of free range eggs, homemade soups and strudels..LOTS of younger,strong helpers when needed.man I love the 'barter system'.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
You will like the 1880. Love mine. My 1st tractor. Fits great in garage. I have a snow pusher, back blade, forks and a ballast box. You will want a ballast box. Mine came with loader and mower deck. The mower is fantastic. Where my cub cadet would choke cutting grass, the Kubota eats the grass with ease. You won’t regret buying a 1880. Good luck.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I purchased my BX23S when it was a year old at a substantial savings. I have the balance of the original warranty, and with only 86 hours on it, all that I had to do was the 50-hour service. it hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. I did install a cab and block heater when I got it. A block heater is a definite requirement if you live in New England. If I were you, I would start looking at Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, and don't be shy about making an offer if it has been listed for a long while. Some people don't have a clue as to being realistic about the value of a used tractor. I searched for 3 months before I found someone who had an unrealistic price on the machine but accepted my offer. The only caution is to communicate with the owner as to where it was purchased, and then contact the dealer to see if it was financed. Kubota Credit will not give you any information about a machine as to whether it was financed or not.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Here is one in VT for $17500 with everything that you would want. A new one at Ahearns in MA is $15900.
424533267_10221480339552914_8203809820181581010_n.jpg

2019 kubota bx1880(16.6hp). 72 hours. Incudes heated cab with snowblower chute controls, heat, front and rear wipers, front and rear LED lights. Includes bucket with quick disconnect, brand new rear snowblower. Cab alone is near $10k. Brand new tire chains. Would cost near $30k to replace new. This unit is in excellent condition. If ad is posted unit is still for sale. No trades. Messages asking if still available will be ignored. Low ball offers will be ignored.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
So here's what I'm getting:

• Get the LA344S instead of the LA344 for the quick attach bucket function.
  • Consider a BX2380 for more power.
  • If I don't go all in and get a snow blower, at least get a snow pusher or plow instead of relying on the bucket.
As for not mowing with it, I'd just abandon the whole idea at that point. A cheap machine for mowing doesn't really do me any good - been there, done that. Too much uneven terrain where I get one wheel spinning. The x500 with diff lock made all the difference there. Plus, my shed is perfect to fit a machine like this plus my other lawn stuff. If I get into two machines I've got a storage issue. I have a 24x24 garage, but we park my F-150 and my fiancee's CX-5 in there during winter storms - no way I'd be able to fit a tractor as well. I'm 32, so I hope I'm nowhere near being too old to pull the deck off in the winter. My x500 deck is pretty intelligently designed - I can pull it in just a few minutes. One of the reasons I was leaning 1880 instead of 2380 is the availability of the 48" deck. Lighter and easier to remove, probably less scalping in my uneven areas, and fits better in certain places. I'm not mowing a huge field or anything, so more passes isn't a big deal.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I am a new owner of a BX1880 and I very happy with my purchase. I got a 50" blower on the front (w/ ballast box in rear) and 54" belly mower and a 48" rear levelling blade. I have no issue with snow removable at all. Up here in Canada the price difference between the BX1880 and BX2380 was substantial enough that it made the BX1880 a great value for my 5 acres.