cleaning a barrel for diesel fuel storage

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
First post and it may be in the wrong place. This is not tractor related but it is. Well, anyway...

I am in the process of getting ready for a used BX23 to be delivered in a few days. Since I've never used a diesel engine before, storing some fuel is one of my first tasks. There were some 55 gallon drums available through craigslist and, after seeing how fuel has been stored in these, I thought it was a good idea. Now, I'm not sure!

These barrels have had liquid epoxy in them. I explained to the seller what I was doing with the barrel and he assured me that the epoxy would rinse out. The method was to put water in the barrel several times, swish it around, and let it drain. Well, I've done two rinses so far and I still see some "whitish" liquid pouring out. I have not used any paint thinnner or mineral spirits yet but that may be an option.

Here's my major question and need for help. Will the material in these barrels be sufficiently removed in order to use these for fuel for the BX? I would hate to gunk up the fuel system right off the bat? Would there be other ways to clean these barrels. The lids, of course, cannot be removed.

Thanks for the help if anyone is able.

Tractor Gal

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
First post and it may be in the wrong place. This is not tractor related but it is. Well, anyway...

I am in the process of getting ready for a used BX23 to be delivered in a few days. Since I've never used a diesel engine before, storing some fuel is one of my first tasks. There were some 55 gallon drums available through craigslist and, after seeing how fuel has been stored in these, I thought it was a good idea. Now, I'm not sure!

These barrels have had liquid epoxy in them. I explained to the seller what I was doing with the barrel and he assured me that the epoxy would rinse out. The method was to put water in the barrel several times, swish it around, and let it drain. Well, I've done two rinses so far and I still see some "whitish" liquid pouring out. I have not used any paint thinnner or mineral spirits yet but that may be an option.

Here's my major question and need for help. Will the material in these barrels be sufficiently removed in order to use these for fuel for the BX? I would hate to gunk up the fuel system right off the bat? Would there be other ways to clean these barrels. The lids, of course, cannot be removed.

Thanks for the help if anyone is able.

Tractor Gal
Can’t really answer your question, but what will you be doing with the tractor and how often? I have a slightly larger tractor and highly doubt I use 55 gallons of fuel a year (don’t really pay attention, just fill two 5 gallon cans when it needs it). A BX will use even less fuel. You would have to worry about water/algae issues if storing for an extended period and having a winter or summer blend of fuel if it is used year round (not sure on the summer/winter blend in your area?)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Welcome to the board !

I think you need to look for another "barrel" - anything with an epoxy would be a bad thing even if cleaned well. Diesel could react with the remaining epoxy residue and then it may play havoc in the future. A very $$$ future.

As mentioned - how many "hours" do you expect to place on a machine per 6 months? Reason I ask - diesel has a different "make-up" during the hot and cold seasons....

in the winter cold months - the companies providing the diesel will add additives in the fuel to make it not gel in very cold conditions - in the summer that additive is not used. There are many other parts of the diesel fuel that changes with seasons too.

Most of us add a smidge of additive to fuel to either lubricate it better for old injectors or add anti-gel solutions to help the winter cold.

My point is that if you have a lot of summer blend in storage - it might not be a perfect fuel for winter. Those who do have large tanks, treat that quantity accordingly.

I go through about 18 gallons in the winter and triple that in the summer - I simply have 4 = 6 gallon yellow tanks.

I filter my fuel before placing in the tractor too - with a "mr funnel" that filters very well.

HTH

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Can’t really answer your question, but what will you be doing with the tractor and how often? I have a slightly larger tractor and highly doubt I use 55 gallons of fuel a year (don’t really pay attention, just fill two 5 gallon cans when it needs it). A BX will use even less fuel. You would have to worry about water/algae issues if storing for an extended period and having a winter or summer blend of fuel if it is used year round (not sure on the summer/winter blend in your area?)
Wow, Fordtech86, I should've asked here first, I guess. I didn't want to be continually running to get fuel and had seen that people use these drums for storage. Then, too, there's the pricing and availability. Diesel right now seems quite inexpensive so that was another motivator. If I can't find a way to get at least one of these cleaned up, I may have to use 5 gallon containers as you suggest.

Another thing just came to my mind...I don't like the smell of the diesel fuel and it seems that regardless of the care to dispense, some of it gets on hands or cloths. Using a barrel with a hose may help eliminate that but maybe not. Perhaps I'm just "doppy." :)

Thanks for the good tip. I may be using it.

Tractor Gal

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Do NOT use a used drum that had epoxy in it !! It'll cost you more to properly clean it , let alone the $$$$$$ bills for engine repairs if you don't !!!
I have a BX23s for 2 years now ( 400 hrs) and always buy 2-3 10Litre jugs of diesel at a time. 2.5 gallon jugs are easy for me to carry and lift. I can't lift a 5 gallon jug, let alone pour !!! A BX23 is NOT a 'gas guzzler', ,those 3 jugs will last at least a month or more,even when visiting the neighbours ! Unless you're going to run at full thottle, 24/7 buying a 'drum' full of diesel isn't a good idea. diesel will go bad just sitting..
Right now you might get 50 gallons of 'summer' and it'll gel over the winter, not a good thing to happen in your new machine !!!

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Thank you, Greensvillejay, for your caution. I was beginning to come to that conclusion myself. The last thing I want to do is create engine problems. Lifting a full 5 gallon container is a bit of a stretch for me, too. Ok, it's not a bit of a stretch, it's a BIG stretch! :) And, as I mentioned to someone else, I always end up getting some on my hands or clothes and I hate that smell.

Part of the drum motivation was not only to have fuel available, but not have to lift the containers! Using a hand pump with a hose seemed like a good idea at the time.

Thanks again for taking time to help prevent me from making a big mistake.

Tractor Gal

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I use a 55 gallon food grade plastic drum to store my diesel fuel. I bought it for $15.00 a few years ago from a place near me that sells all sorts of clean barrels. I also thought about getting a gas caddy ( https://www.amazon.com/gas-caddy-pump/s?k=gas+caddy+with+pump ) and I may still do it. I use a lot of diesel between my tractor and pickup truck so storing a lot of diesel makes sense for me. If you can locate a plastic food grade drum they work well because the bung seals tight enough that fuel does not evaporate and you don't get the fumes.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tractor Gal - Welcome to OTT!

I have a BX myself.

I use about 4-5 gallons/month when used regularly. A Kubota tractor is quite fuel efficient.

If a 5 gallon bucket is too much to handle, get a couple 2 or 2.5 gallon cans. You will need to dose them with additives of your choosing - - I would definitely recommend a biocide for algal problems, and possibly a cetane/lubricity improver.

For additives - - I use Power Service products. They have both the biocide and cetane/lubricity additives in two different products.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Me, I keep 300 - 500 gallons 'laying around just in case. Welcome to the forum. I agree with the others, a couple 5 gallon yellow plastic fuel cans is all you need. Keep the barrel for a burn barrel.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I use a 55 gallon food grade plastic drum to store my diesel fuel. I bought it for $15.00 a few years ago from a place near me that sells all sorts of clean barrels. I also thought about getting a gas caddy ( https://www.amazon.com/gas-caddy-pump/s?k=gas+caddy+with+pump ) and I may still do it. I use a lot of diesel between my tractor and pickup tuck so storing a lot of diesel makes sense for me. If you can locate a plastic food grade drum they work well because the bung seals tight enough that fuel does not evaporate and you don't get the fumes.
Food grade barrel? Who knew?! There seems to be a lot of those for sale. Do you then have a hand pump of some kind? I have seen the fuel caddies but they seem to be a bit pricey but they do look nice.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Me, I keep 300 - 500 gallons 'laying around just in case. Welcome to the forum. I agree with the others, a couple 5 gallon yellow plastic fuel cans is all you need. Keep the barrel for a burn barrel.
Don't know how to get the lid off to use for anything else! :) Thanks for helping.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Tractor Gal - Welcome to OTT!

I have a BX myself.

I use about 4-5 gallons/month when used regularly. A Kubota tractor is quite fuel efficient.

If a 5 gallon bucket is too much to handle, get a couple 2 or 2.5 gallon cans. You will need to dose them with additives of your choosing - - I would definitely recommend a biocide for algal problems, and possibly a cetane/lubricity improver.

For additives - - I use Power Service products. They have both the biocide and cetane/lubricity additives in two different products.
There are BXer's everywhere! Must be a good machine and I'm glad to have one. In fact, I can't wait until it gets here.

Meanwhile, the fuel issue...I never would've dreamed that I could tear up around here for a month on so little fuel :) Life is good.

And, yes, I am going to look into the Power Service products if I can find them around here. From what I've read...even though there are other products, they are highly recommended. Thanks for the tips.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Food grade barrel? Who knew?! There seems to be a lot of those for sale. Do you then have a hand pump of some kind? I have seen the fuel caddies but they seem to be a bit pricey but they do look nice.
Yes, I have a hand crank pump that I put in the barrel. I have a hose attached to the pump head. I recently bought a 12 volt electric pump and fuel pump handle from Harbor Freight that I will be using when I get time to hook up the system. Here is the one I bought.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't know how to get the lid off to use for anything else! :) Thanks for helping.

You or a friend have a 4 1/2" angle grinder? Use that and a thin kerf abrasive cut off wheel and cut the top off. Cut it around the outside edge, just below the top. Harbor Freight sells the 4 1/2" cut off wheels to fit a small angle grinder. Use them all the time.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yes, I have a hand crank pump that I put in the barrel. I have a hose attached to the pump head. I recently bought a 12 volt electric pump and fuel pump handle from Harbor Freight that I will be using when I get time to hook up the system. Here is the one I bought.
Believe it or not but I use the 10 buck Harbor Freight battery operated fuel transfer pump way more than the 12 volt one (I have one too). My open station M( is a royal pizzer to fuel, filler neck and cap is up high behind the seat so if I'm in the field, I use a couple 5 gallon diesel cans and the battery pump to fuel it.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Having the 12V pump, then, would be like going to the gas station. Fill 'er up. :) Thanks again for the tip and the link.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Here is the type of hand crank pump that I currently use. If you try to use one of the type that has a lever like a well pump, they don't work very well because you have to pump real fast to get a fuel flow.