cleaning a barrel for diesel fuel storage

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
You or a friend have a 4 1/2" angle grinder? Use that and a thin kerf abrasive cut off wheel and cut the top off. Cut it around the outside edge, just below the top. Harbor Freight sells the 4 1/2" cut off wheels to fit a small angle grinder. Use them all the time.
I don't know if I can do that or not. No angle grinder for the first thing but it's something to keep in mind as I go forward. Meanwhile, I did email the seller of the barrels and asked if I could return them...I bought two. :-( Somehow I don't think he'll respond, but maybe. We'll see. If not...lesson learned.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Maybe let him know that they could not be cleaned enough to store fuel. If he is honest enough he should take them back. Maybe charge $5.00 or so to re-stock them.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Maybe let him know that they could not be cleaned enough to store fuel. If he is honest enough he should take them back. Maybe charge $5.00 or so to re-stock them.
Yes, I did mention in the email contact to him that they will not clean in the way that he had advised and that other tractor owners have said that using them could create engine problems and a lot of expense. We'll see. If he's honest...yes, I agree...but he may be honest and need the money. I bought them...it's not his "fault," shall we say. I just ended by saying that I would appreciate it if he would take them back. He has 5 young children...may have many needs, and I understand. As I said, "lesson learned." Ask at OrangeTractor forum first.

TG

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Dunno if you are aware, but there are 2 types of diesel which are basically exactly the same. Road diesel which is more expensive and agricultural diesel. The only difference here is the colour. It has to do with excise. From what I gather, not every place stocks it over there.
I would also advocate the use of 5gl cans and if they are not big enough, then you can look at bigger barrels later.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Dunno if you are aware, but there are 2 types of diesel which are basically exactly the same. Road diesel which is more expensive and agricultural diesel. The only difference here is the colour. It has to do with excise. From what I gather, not every place stocks it over there.
I would also advocate the use of 5gl cans and if they are not big enough, then you can look at bigger barrels later.
Thanks, hope to float...I hope to float, too! I don't know where to buy off road diesel and/or if you have to have some kind of agricultural identification to buy it. I'll have to try to check it out. Thanks for the tip on that. And, thanks for confirmation about the 5 gal cans. When enough people tell me something, I've learned to listen...took a while. :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK from a BX guy,,,, Go to RK or TS and pick up 2, 5 gallon YELLOW plastic fuel cans some stations are really annul about the color of the cans, trust me that is all you will need, when one gets empty find a place that sells RED DYED off road diesel, it runs about 30 or 40 a gal cheaper and is the same as over the road, you just don't pay the road tax. Get a jug of the white diesel treatment put in a couple OZ and fill with fuel, you dont want to keep much fuel for your little beasty over the winter and if you do ,use something that works with moisture there are a bunch of them pick the color bottle you like, just make sure it is for DIESEL. You dont need lots of fuel you will find the BX sips fuel and it takes a long time to run 7 gallons out. OH and dont store your cans in bright sun light, there is an algae that grows in diesel fuel, just so you know. And welcome to the ORANGE.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Thanks, Skeets. All good advice, for sure. I'll look for the off road diesel but these little places around here must have it hidden...or it's off road and I just don't know it. Again, I am shocked with the info about the BX being such a timid fuel guzzler. That is really great. I'll find a place out of the sun for the fuel. I had been reading about the experiences with algae growing in the fuel. That must be some tough algae. :) Thanks again.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Since you and the BX are going to be new to each other, I too suggest you start small before you invest a lot of time and money in fuel storage. I have a B and an L tractor, and rarely have to go to the service station more often than once a month. In the summer I use each of them maybe one or two hours a week. I bought the particular L tractor model because the fuel fill is at about waist high on me. I can only comfortably lift 3 gal, so I take 2 yellow 5 gal plastic cans and watch the meter on the pump. I put one of the cans on top of a box on my tool cart and wheel it over to the tractor. It is easy to balance it on edge over my Mr Funnel.

This model can works pretty well, and I don't get too much diesel on me.

. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/gas-cans/7239528

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
What I use in the field Sheep. You mean you don't think diesel is good perfume? TSC has them too.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Since you and the BX are going to be new to each other, I too suggest you start small before you invest a lot of time and money in fuel storage. I have a B and an L tractor, and rarely have to go to the service station more often than once a month. In the summer I use each of them maybe one or two hours a week. I bought the particular L tractor model because the fuel fill is at about waist high on me. I can only comfortably lift 3 gal, so I take 2 yellow 5 gal plastic cans and watch the meter on the pump. I put one of the cans on top of a box on my tool cart and wheel it over to the tractor. It is easy to balance it on edge over my Mr Funnel.

This model can works pretty well, and I don't get too much diesel on me.

. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/gas-cans/7239528
The label says, "No Spill." You must be saying that it is the truth. Good to know. And, apparently others don't like the smell too much either. :) Thanks for the tip.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Looks like the refiners need to come up with a way to reduce the odor! There's a money-making opportunity!
They purposely put the perfume in diesel and gasoline to make it readily identifiable, and pungent. It is supposed to help accidental poisoning.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Concluding info on epoxy barrels for diesel fuel. The seller of the barrels has agreed for a refund with the return of the barrels. I'm glad he has chosen this. It seemed right to me but he was not obligated, in my mind.

Meanwhile, all the wonderful tips I've been given are greatly appreciated. I will be putting many of them to work. Thanks for all the help.

Tractor Gal

Reactions: 1 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
50110-bd48c5bb07230c21377daf5d1f1f8e90.JPG

I use the 12v Harbor Freight fuel pump for refueling both the sawmill and my tractors and I am very satisfied. I keep six full 5 gallon fuel jugs at the farm and rotate them to keep fresh fuel. I used PVC for my pickup tube. That pump will empty a 5 gallon jug in 30 seconds and you can "feather" the output with the nozzle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
View attachment 50110
I use the 12v Harbor Freight fuel pump for refueling both the sawmill and my tractors and I am very satisfied. I keep six full 5 gallon fuel jugs at the farm and rotate them to keep fresh fuel. I used PVC for my pickup tube. That pump will empty a 5 gallon jug in 30 seconds and you can "feather" the output with the nozzle.
Wow! Can't beat that for sure. Thanks for sharing and encouraging about the smaller containers. I'm getting the message. :)