Bx2380 started on its own

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Are Bx’s stop solenoid in the pump or on top?

If on top all you have to do to start, is jump the spade connector on starter to power, it will run. That bypasses every safety there is. Just tried it on a F3680, didn’t run but a second as it’s stop solenoid is in the injection pump.
Just jump this and it will start.
A10EDDC3-B107-43ED-99C6-41755CEFEA4E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It seems to me that several things need to happen for the scenario described to happen.

First, the starter needs to turn and the fuel solenoid needs to be activated.

Then once the engine starts the starter needs to be disengaged. Otherwise I imagine starter issues would result. But the fuel cutoff solenoid still needs to remain in the run position.

So what are the chances that a short in the wiring would cause the starter to turn, then the starter to disengage after the tractor started, and the fuel cutoff solenoid to still remain in the normal operating position? With the
key switch in the off position?

Not saying it is impossible, but hard to imagine, even with a defective control module. And repeating a second time as well?

What is missing here? Usually not a skeptic but this time I seem to be.

I wonder if the tractor stayed running after the key was removed and the OP just did not notice…

My conclusion would be a defective switch that did not turn the tractor off after the key was removed. Not sure that is even worth my 2 cents though…

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If the BX2380 has the same wiring as my BX23S, you can start it standing next to it... safety switches,etc. are NOT needed.
Not sure IF the 'fuel pump' has to have power... perhaps the INJ pump will 'suck' fuel ?

Reactions: 1 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
If the BX2380 has the same wiring as my BX23S, you can start it standing next to it... safety switches,etc. are NOT needed.
Not sure IF the 'fuel pump' has to have power... perhaps the INJ pump will 'suck' fuel ?
Do BX’s have a electric fuel pump? I honestly don’t know?

If the stop solenoid is on top of the injection pump like our grasshoppers with D902 or 905’s, they are set to run without power, 12v pulls the plunger killing the engine, it resets back to run after 5 seconds or so.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Jay and Matt - I’m betting the BX2380 is the same as my BX2360.

You do not need to be in the seat to start it as long as other safety switches are satisfied. I almost never start mine in the seat.

It has an electric lift pump.

The stop solenoid resets to run position 5 or so seconds after shut down.

I’m not smart enough to diagnose the odd unattended start.

I think I would leave the PTO in gear until it’s diagnosed. Obviously, not a PTO that has an implement hooked to it. That should prevent cranking….I think….unless there’s some really squirrelly things going on.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
To borrow a term, apparently a ride on the trailer gets her motor going. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
It seems to me that several things need to happen for the scenario described to happen.

First, the starter needs to turn and the fuel solenoid needs to be activated.

Then once the engine starts the starter needs to be disengaged. Otherwise I imagine starter issues would result. But the fuel cutoff solenoid still needs to remain in the run position.

So what are the chances that a short in the wiring would cause the starter to turn, then the starter to disengage after the tractor started, and the fuel cutoff solenoid to still remain in the normal operating position? With the
key switch in the off position?

Not saying it is impossible, but hard to imagine, even with a defective control module. And repeating a second time as well?

What is missing here? Usually not a skeptic but this time I seem to be.

I wonder if the tractor stayed running after the key was removed and the OP just did not notice…

My conclusion would be a defective switch that did not turn the tractor off after the key was removed. Not sure that is even worth my 2 cents though…
Turning the key off and not notice the tractor still running would be pretty bizarre in its self. Especially sitting on a trailer!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The fuel shut-off solenoids' default position is in the run position, it only uses power for 5 to 8 seconds to shut off the engine.
If the fuel tank is at or near full, the engine will run at low RPMs without the electric fuel lift pump running.
A rubbed or chewed wire or failed key switch could easily allow power to the solenoid exciter wire for a second or two which could easily crank and start the engine.

Reactions: 4 users
Sep 3, 2022
America
A rubbed or chewed wire or failed key switch could easily allow power to the solenoid exciter wire for a second or two which could easily crank and start the engine.
Don't know nothin about the BX, but I've spent several thousands of dollars on chewed wires on vehicles in the last couple of years, and that's what I didn't fix myself.

*Wife's 2021 Jeep - chewed fuel rail (glad I was with her when she went to use it!)
*Son's car - gave up after the second round of wires chewed behind/around firewall requiring engine removal. First time I soldered every connection back together - about 6 connectors.
*My pickup - had to remove intake to solder wires back on and I wish I could post the video of the walnut husks flying out the defrost vents after they took up residence.
*My Car - three or four times I've had to rewire chewed wiring.
* 4 wheeler - chewed the wires under the plastics on front.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The fuel shut-off solenoids' default position is in the run position, it only uses power for 5 to 8 seconds to shut off the engine.
If the fuel tank is at or near full, the engine will run at low RPMs without the electric fuel lift pump running.
Your knowledge of the specifics of the OP's tractor may just have explained how the situation could have happened. (y)

On my BX the solenoid works differently, in that it must be powered to let the engine run. Default position is fuel shut off. My thought process used my BX as the basis, which was obviously not a good basis for understanding the OP's situation.

I guess the OP is lucky the voltage did not stay on the starter solenoid permanently...if it had he might have been asking where to get the starter repaired.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Your knowledge of the specifics of the OP's tractor may just have explained how the situation could have happened. (y)

On my BX the solenoid works differently, in that it must be powered to let the engine run. Default position is fuel shut off. My thought process used my BX as the basis, which was obviously not a good basis for understanding the OP's situation.
This is how I would have expected it to be set up but I'm just a auto shade tree mechanic.

and hey it's a BX so no matter how old it is you never know.. such a solid layout it probably hasn't changed that much!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I witnessed an Army 2 1/2 ton truck start spontaneously while sitting in the sun. The engine started because of heat and the fact that the fuel shut off lever was not pulled out. I also heard of a CAT bulldozer starting spontaneously under similar conditions. So it is conceivable to my thinking that certain conditions could have caused the OP's engine to start even without the starter engaging. We can only speculate what conditions may have caused a spontaneous start on the OP's tractor, but I know that it is possible for diesel engines to mysteriously start on their own.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I had a quik peek at the WSM for the BX23S...
if you blow the OPC fuse (15A ?), you can NOT shut the engine off by turning the key to off ! I assume you have to manually push/pull ? the stop solenoid lever.

Man,some of the wording is very hard to follow.....

This is opposite to the 'antidieselling' solenoids on all riders.......

SarasotaMan

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 31, 2023
Sarasota, Florida USA
The panel didn't fall off of it. The instrument panel was showing nothing as in no rpm, fuel, or temp. The key was in the off position. I'm not the type of person to make this up. I have better stuff to do. I don't know if there is a short in the wire or something else. The lease I'm referring to is a hunting lease, deer camp.
I have a new BX23s doing the same thing with only 20 run hours. It would not shut off then spontaneously restart after I got it shut down. No key in ignition, and instrument panel blank. It is being picked up tomorrow by dealer to take to shop for a diagnosis. Some electrical short I am guessing. Before the latest event the starter motor burned up while the engine was running. I will provide more details when I hear how the repair goes. Dealer quickly replaced starter, I have no issues with the local dealer.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
How fast were you going? Maybe the wind spun the fan. It is a diesel. Theoretically all it needs to start on a warm day is something to turn it over. No solenoid, starter, safety switches et. al. required.

Crooked loader

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 7, 2022
Louisiana
I have a new BX23s doing the same thing with only 20 run hours. It would not shut off then spontaneously restart after I got it shut down. No key in ignition, and instrument panel blank. It is being picked up tomorrow by dealer to take to shop for a diagnosis. Some electrical short I am guessing. Before the latest event the starter motor burned up while the engine was running. I will provide more details when I hear how the repair goes. Dealer quickly replaced starter, I have no issues with the local dealer.
It was a bad solenoid that was causing mine to Start up. When I brought it in it was running when I got there.

• Wow

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
How fast were you going? Maybe the wind spun the fan. It is a diesel. Theoretically all it needs to start on a warm day is something to turn it over.
No solenoid, starter, safety switches et. al. required.
Wouldn’t that be something? I’d think all kinds of spontaneous ignition would be occurring on diesel engines if this was possible at subsonic speeds (I mean freeway speeds).

I believe the fan in the BX is on the “wrong” end of the engine (sucking air from the operator’s side) for physics to be in favor of this hypothesis. Maybe the engine was running backwards? Or the tractor was towed nose to the rear.

The OP was trailering the tractor in 2022, whereas the recent post today was presumably while the operator was attempting to shut the engine off. I’d guess it was parked at the time.

Last edited:

SarasotaMan

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 31, 2023
Sarasota, Florida USA
It was a bad solenoid that was causing mine to Start up. When I brought it in it was running when I got there.
Full story.
It seems to have been an electrical short in the ignition switch, plus two different solenoids were bad, it took three service calls. Not happy about Kubota quality.

I purchased my BX23s new several months ago, it has about 20 hours use as of 2 days ago. I just had the starter motor replaced as it burned up while operating. Smoke was pouring out from under the engine cover. I shut down and opened the engine cover and the smoke was pouring out of the hole where a rubber plug used to be. Smelled like electrical fire. It was still under warranty the dealer promptly replaced the starter on site, no complaints with dealer.

Prior to the incident It started to occasionally make a very loud vibrating noise that I thought may have been the exhaust manifold guard but now I think it may have been starter engaging while running. My first use of the BX after replacement the noise started again, so I turned off the ignition but the engine continues to roughly run (dieseling) until I turned back on at ignition and off again, it stopped. As I climbed off the BX it spontaneously started running, ignition was in off position. I checked the starter motor and it was very hot. I drove the BX a short distance back to storage (not making noise now) shut it down and left. I was inside for several hours and when I came out my back door I heard an engine running! Sure, enough the BX has spontaneously started and was idling. There was not even a key in the ignition. I had to open the engine cover and shut off the BX by pushing the solenoid. I disconnected the battery to prevent a restart.

Service man came out this morning, battery reattached and main 50 amp fuse was out. Replaced fuse everything had power. Started engine and loud noise resumed so it was promptly shut down by depressing solenoid, as the ignition switch did not work. Mechanic said there was a short in the switch causing the starter to continue to try to engage the flywheel making the noise. He will be bringing out a new starter switch and hopefully all will be good to go. Kind of sucks the switch went band on a brand new BX23s with only 20 light duty operational hours.

Last edited: