Bx2380 started on its own

Crooked loader

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 7, 2022
Louisiana
Good afternoon everyone,

I have a bx2380 maybe a 1yr old. I hauled up to my lease this past weekend about 3hrs away and when I got there the tractor was running. The key was inside my truck. The instrument panel was off. I put the key in turn it then off and it shut off. I hauled it around my lease all day Saturday and it never did again Saturday. Sunday I loaded back up and started to head home and got about a hour down the road and stop to check it and it was running again.
Turn it off again. I was able to make the rest of the way without it starting again.
Called 2 dealers and they never heard this happening before. 😳 Anyone have had this happen before or heard of it?

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I don't think it's pertinent to the "ghostly running' thing , but what is this "lease' you're referring to?

Are you saying when the panel fell off and you stopped and checked the ignition was turned to "run" and when you put the key in, you had to turn it "back" to off?

I have to be real honest and say that this all seems very unlikely. Presumably, no glow plugs were run, and the ignition switch with a spring built in to prevent and accidental activation of the starter.

I have to tell you that I am pretty skeptical or we don't have all the peices of the puzzle to make sense of this.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Crooked loader

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 7, 2022
Louisiana
I don't think it's pertinent to the "ghostly running' thing , but what is this "lease' you're referring to?

Are you saying when the panel fell off and you stopped and checked the ignition was turned to "run" and when you put the key in, you had to turn it "back" to off?

I have to be real honest and say that this all seems very unlikely. Presumably, no glow plugs were run, and the ignition switch with a spring built in to prevent and accidental activation of the starter.

I won't be so rude to call and out-n-out "BS" on you but I have to tell you that I am pretty skeptical.

I won't be so rude to call and out-n-out "BS" on you but I have to tell you that I am pretty skeptical.
The panel didn't fall off of it. The instrument panel was showing nothing as in no rpm, fuel, or temp. The key was in the off position. I'm not the type of person to make this up. I have better stuff to do. I don't know if there is a short in the wire or something else. The lease I'm referring to is a hunting lease, deer camp.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Oh, deer camp. I get it. I have never heard that term "lease" as you used it. Thank you.

As to the mysterious starting,...well, I'll leave that to the experts. It's not April 1rst, nor Oct 31rst, so all my guesses are used up.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It could be a defective switch. 2 things have to happen

1) power to the starter solenoid to actually start it
2) power to the 'stop solenoid' to keep it running

another possibility.... look very,very carefully for 'rodent revenge'. Check ALL the wiring for chew marks

?running down the road..bounces, wires short, engine starts and runs

Wife's then new Nissan would run without the key,even DRIVE it... dealer's factory trained graduates with FULL documentation in their hands, had NO idea what it was,after 3 trips there. Finally I TOLD them what it was( no, couldn't be.....). 4th trip they DO what I TOAD them, problem solved...

Reactions: 4 users

Crooked loader

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 7, 2022
Louisiana
It could be a defective switch. 2 things have to happen

1) power to the starter solenoid to actually start it
2) power to the 'stop solenoid' to keep it running

another possibility.... look very,very carefully for 'rodent revenge'. Check ALL the wiring for chew marks

?running down the road..bounces, wires short, engine starts and runs

Wife's then new Nissan would run without the key,even DRIVE it... dealer's factory trained graduates with FULL documentation in their hands, had NO idea what it was,after 3 trips there. Finally I TOLD them what it was( no, couldn't be.....). 4th trip they DO what I TOAD them, problem solved...
Thanks. I will check that out this afternoon.

Reactions: 1 user

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Put it on *Bay as a haunted tractor - it may sell for a fortune... :LOL:

Strange phenomenon, but vehicle electricity can do the most bizarre things.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Does the BX2380 have safety switches that have been disabled..? (Operator-Presence, so-called “seat-safety switches” should have prevented this occurrence.) If you bought this “used” and the previous owner has “modified” it…. there’s no telling what has caused this…

(But vee9aa had nothing to contribute except cast dispersions upon the OP and I wonder why he’s never heard the most-common reference to deer-lease as a “lease”…. No, never mind, I don’t wonder at all.)

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Does the BX2380 have safety switches that have been disabled..? (Operator-Presence, so-called “seat-safety switches” should have prevented this occurrence.) If you bought this “used” and the previous owner has “modified” it…. there’s no telling what has caused this…

(But vee9aa had nothing to contribute except cast dispersions upon the OP and I wonder why he’s never heard the most-common reference to deer-lease as a “lease”…. No, never mind, I don’t wonder at all.)
At least I am open and honest. (and yes, a bit of a doubting Thomas) There are probably 100 people who'll read this post and doubt what happen. 99 of them won't say a thing.

As far as "lease" or "deer lease", I am not a hunter and have never in my life heard that term.

I also do not reside in the USA, so maybe it's just an American thing or a hunters thing.

A LOT of things have to happen to a tractor to start all by itself on a trailer, so, yeah, I am not sure what happened. For all I know the PO wired up a wireless remote control to start the thing and was driving behind him. (equally as believeable)

Fear not! I won't post again on this thread.

Crooked loader

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 7, 2022
Louisiana

I got it brand new almost a year ago. I had hauled several times before and nothing like this has happened.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I took a quick look at the operators manual online for a BX2380. It might be interesting for you to check the OPC features to make sure they are working. There is a procedure in the manual to check the seat, pto lever and speed control pedal. I realize that starting by itself was an anomaly while trailering and only happened twice but still worth the time to verify that the OPC features are working as designed.

I guess when you found the tractor running on the trailer you did not notice if the starter motor was energized?

It would be interesting if members with good electrical knowledge could study the wiring diagram and come up with possible scenario's with damaged wiring that would allow the tractor to start bypassing OPC safety's .

Crooked loader

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 7, 2022
Louisiana
I took a quick look at the operators manual online for a BX2380. It might be interesting for you to check the OPC features to make sure they are working. There is a procedure in the manual to check the seat, pto lever and speed control pedal. I realize that starting by itself was an anomaly while trailering and only happened twice but still worth the time to verify that the OPC features are working as designed.

I guess when you found the tractor running on the trailer you did not notice if the starter motor was energized?

It would be interesting if members with good electrical knowledge could study the wiring diagram and come up with possible scenario's with damaged wiring that would allow the tractor to start bypassing OPC safety's .
Will do. Thanks.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I got it brand new almost a year ago. I had hauled several times before and nothing like this has happened.
OK.. I interpreted your original post in which you indicated you transported it “1 yr old” as a sign you’d bought it a year old already and were first-time taking it to where you planned to use it. My erroneous interpret…. BUT… MY reference to the safety switches was intended to cuase investigation into why they are defeated. Did the dealer/seller do this? …because the safety switches, if operational, should have prevented any start. (I have bought “new” equipment that was improperly assembled/altered which was puzzling until we discovered the newest/inexperienced employee was used to assemble it….and parts were completely missing. Not a tractor…but ”new” equipment.)

Keep us posted so we’ll learn from your experience. Thx.

Crooked loader

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 7, 2022
Louisiana
W
OK.. I interpreted your original post in which you indicated you transported it “1 yr old” as a sign you’d bought it a year old already and were first-time taking it to where you planned to use it. My erroneous interpret…. BUT… MY reference to the safety switches was intended to cuase investigation into why they are defeated. Did the dealer/seller do this? …because the safety switches, if operational, should have prevented any start. (I have bought “new” equipment that was improperly assembled/altered which was puzzling until we discovered the newest/inexperienced employee was used to assemble it….and parts were completely missing. Not a tractor…but ”new” equipment.)

Keep us posted so we’ll learn from your experience. Thx.
Will do.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas

It doesn't need to be that involved. All that needs to happen (for the engine to crank) is for the starter solenoid to receive power OR for a power source to bypass the solenoid. As for a fuel solenoid being energized....to allow the engine to get fuel, well....that's anyone's guess along with any of the other safety features. I'd be looking for rodent damage and intermittent dead shorts. The starter itself might be suspect.