Bx2380 started on its own

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Make sure these repairs are fully documented for warranty issues in the future. I would be a tad concerned about the Starter ring gear.

Reactions: 1 user

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
It seems that they did not do very good troubleshooting the first time around. They just replaced the obviously perished starter motor but did not look for the cause of problem. I agree with GSD-Keegan, the ring gear might have seen the equivalent of zillion starts and the second starter might have a shortened life if it also ran several times while the engine was running.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
When I was a kid, I had a 1977 Suzuki 100 motorcycle. My father replaced the points ignition with a CDI ignition.
On occasion I would kick start it and the engine would run backwards. I would put it in gear, let out the clutch and it would start moving backwards. I would shut it off and restart it and it would run as usual.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Two cycle engines will run in the rotation they are started. I made a weed eater 2-cycle into a trolling motor for a canoe. I had to change the pull rope orientation to get it to start the opposite (of factory) direction to get the propeller to rotate correctly.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Kind of sucks the switch went band on a brand new BX23s with only 20 light duty operational hours.
I think faults of this nature are exactly what warranty are for - things that are basically broken or near broken from factory. Electrical stuff shouldn't really wear out, it means it was defective.

I agree with others, I'd be worried about things beyond just the starter and the electrics. A starter that's been grinding away on the ring gear can't be a good thing. Perhaps at least an oil change and presumably when you pull the starter you can see the teeth on the flywheel, and see if they at least look OK.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
once engine is started, it's RPM releases starter pinion . least that's how they usually work,well the ones I've had.... cept of course for the 'starter/generator' versions...

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Two cycle engines will run in the rotation they are started. I made a weed eater 2-cycle into a trolling motor for a canoe. I had to change the pull rope orientation to get it to start the opposite (of factory) direction to get the propeller to rotate correctly.
You used it like that?
In my experience they don't run backwards very well because the port timing is wrong.
Dump lots of raw fuel out the exhaust too.

Reactions: 1 user