Awesome dogs / Crazy pets Thread

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pretty much the same thing. Often referred to as Udder Cream, udder balm, or half dozen other brand names.

Gold Label Udder Cream 450g - Homestead Farm Supplies
Udder Cream 400g
Buy Battles Udder Cream 400g from Fane Valley Stores Agricultural Supplies
Udderly Smooth Udder Hand Cream, 2 Oz - Walmart.com
udderly smooth udder cream, skin moisturizer, 12 ounce jar - Walmart.com
Udder Cream - 28 Oz. at Fleet Farm
Buy Udderly Smooth Udder Cream Lotion 12 Oz.
Udder Cream - Downland
Udder Cream - 14 Oz. at Fleet Farm
UDDER CREAM - Eileen Douglas Tack Shops Ltd
Udder Cream | Centaur Animal Health

Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I never heard of bag balm so I did a search and I think I'm going to get some. It looks like you can get it on Amazon.
I’ve used it for years on hunting dogs, I am not sure it worked but they healed some pretty nasty stuff. (I had a pointing lab that was an awesome hunting dog and companion run into the hedge trimmer and almost cut his ear off…iodine, bagbalm, gauze and duck duck tape…at first dressing check after bleeding stopped a good wash and then the second skin). I’ve also have used ‘second skin’ which is a like a super glue for skin. Trust your vet IMO. Does the 4 legged have to wear the cone of shame? I hope recovering.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I’ve used it for years on hunting dogs, I am not sure it worked but they healed some pretty nasty stuff. (I had a pointing lab that was an awesome hunting dog and companion run into the hedge trimmer and almost cut his ear off…iodine, bagbalm, gauze and duck duck tape…at first dressing check after bleeding stopped a good wash and then the second skin). I’ve also have used ‘second skin’ which is a like a super glue for skin. Trust your vet IMO. Does the 4 legged have to wear the cone of shame? I hope recovering.
They gave us a cone for him but I haven't put it on him he doesn't bother with that area I'm not sure he could reach them even if he wanted to.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Pretty much the same thing. Often referred to as Udder Cream, udder balm, or half dozen other brand names.

Gold Label Udder Cream 450g - Homestead Farm Supplies
Udder Cream 400g
Buy Battles Udder Cream 400g from Fane Valley Stores Agricultural Supplies
Udderly Smooth Udder Hand Cream, 2 Oz - Walmart.com
udderly smooth udder cream, skin moisturizer, 12 ounce jar - Walmart.com
Udder Cream - 28 Oz. at Fleet Farm
Buy Udderly Smooth Udder Cream Lotion 12 Oz.
Udder Cream - Downland
Udder Cream - 14 Oz. at Fleet Farm
UDDER CREAM - Eileen Douglas Tack Shops Ltd
Udder Cream | Centaur Animal Health
I went over and got a ziplock bag full I'm hoping it helps. I never even gave udder cream a thought I hope it speeds up the healing process.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I went over and got a ziplock bag full I'm hoping it helps. I never even gave udder cream a thought I hope it speeds up the healing process.
My lab was like a garbage disposal…he thought bagbalm was jelly that came off my sandwich…not sure it hurt anything though. He was just as flatulent when bagbalm was in his diet as when it wasn’t. Any reason the vet did not cauterize the incision?

Reactions: 1 user

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
My lab was like a garbage disposal…he thought bagbalm was jelly that came off my sandwich…not sure it hurt anything though. He was just as flatulent when bagbalm was in his diet as when it wasn’t. Any reason the vet did not cauterize the incision?
I think they just wanted to get us out of there the Vet that did the surgery and removed the stitches earlier in the day wasn't even there they had us come in at 7pm which is when they close for the day I guess because there wasn't any open appointments for the day and the Vet that did the staples didn't spend much time with us. They did charge me for the staples and new meds. I think the original Dr. just removed the stitches to early I bet if he would have said hey these aren't ready to come out come back next week none of this would have been needed.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don’t recall brand, but we had a version of Bag Balm in the barns for years.

At 20-25 years of age, I remember someone saying they used Bag Balm for their own hands…I was a little surprised…good stuff…😳🐄 🐄🐄

Hopefully you get your boy on the straight and narrow soon….gosh I hate it when a pet has health issues….

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
The Bag Balm skin moisturizer is a thicker product than most of the others. It has the consistency of vaseline and stays in place. The can doesn't list any ingredients, only says "proven ingredients to help moisturize and renew. Enriched with lanolin to soothe and soften skin..." It works!

The udder balms are a thinner product that list aloe vera gel, lanolin, glycerin, vitamins E, A and D plus other ingredients that aid in soothing and softening chapped and irritated skin.

If your hands get dried and cracked in winter from the dryness these products will prevent that.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Well my boy won't let his staples alone so I had to put the cone of shame on him today he was ok for the 1st few days now I guess they are bothering him because he was licking that area and wouldn't stop. I hate to see him with the cone but I can't let him fool with those staples. :(
71209099496__FD206E2D-8F8D-409E-AE2F-60E2D08C3F24.jpeg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Well my boy won't let his staples alone so I had to put the cone of shame on him today he was ok for the 1st few days now I guess they are bothering him because he was licking that area and wouldn't stop. I hate to see him with the cone but I can't let him fool with those staples. :( View attachment 108113

Poor fella. Bet the TV reception is great though.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ed - hoping he gets on the straight and narrow….

Cones of shame are tough. Ollie the Boxer was in one for a while.

Those soft cones posted earlier in this thread looked pretty cool.

Not sure the dog would like it any better, but might make us feel better….😉

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good luck with the cone…I swear with my dogs they looked embarrassed like to wear it. It was same look a kid has if they were forced to wear an ugly sweater a relative bought them. I always felt bad when they had to use the doggie door with those damn cones on. That being said 2 of mine have managed their way out of the cones…good thing GSDs don’t have thumbs.

• Haha

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Ed - hoping he gets on the straight and narrow….

Cones of shame are tough. Ollie the Boxer was in one for a while.

Those soft cones posted earlier in this thread looked pretty cool.

Not sure the dog would like it any better, but might make us feel better….😉
Right after I put it on him he ran right into my legs with it and if felt like it cut into my legs but no blood so I guess I'm ok :ROFLMAO: :LOL::LOL::) He hates it

• Sad

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
There is a product called bitter orange cream for dogs. Then don't like the taste of it and often leave it alone. Another is Yuck, no chew spray. For hot spots, bandages, sores. These might work and not need the collar for him.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Geez he looks so uncomfortable…..let’s hope for a quick re-recovery….😉

Had a similar issue with Ollie years ago. Once he got isolated from injury he was fine, but it took some time to get there…..he ultimately recovered fine.

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well I sold my ATV and bought a side by side so Digger also known as Willy can ride up front with us. I really wasn't sure how it would go but he actually fell asleep once during our ride. I guess we really are boring old folks. :unsure:

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users