North Idaho Wolfman
Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Thanks - so far some parts are just tack welded together enough for testing. There's still some welding to finish off.Not being picky, just don't want it coming unglued on you.
And maybe add a couple gusets off the sides of those supports?
View attachment 180196
Maybe you could incorporate some spring into the lift arrangement to the loader to take some of the weight off?Finished welding a few bits then re-fitted the rear roller today. I also shortened the links between the tractor and the mower by about 300 mm to get it closer to the front of the tractor - hoping that this, along with the rounded ends on the rear roller, would help the steering uphill.
I had also made some other changes to allow it to drop a further 20 mm closer to the ground as the first cut was just a little long.
View attachment 180222
View attachment 180223
These links are still temporary - enough so I can use it to mow our grass. I think I'll make a lifting setup so I can use it with the loader removed.
I started mowing and the cut height was better, having it closer to the front of the tractor was better for maneuverability, but it didn't really help the steering uphill. The only thing that helped here was lifting the weight off the rear roller, then it steered like the mower wasn't there.
I tried it on some light green waste that we had pulled out of the garden and it mowed over it and mulched it like it wasn't there.
Here's what I tested it on....
View attachment 180224
Sorry the video isn't great - best I could do from the drivers seat....
![]()
8 October 2026
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.youtube.com
Pretty happy with how it works overall.
I'm curious - does anyone here use a front mounted flail mower with a rear roller ? If so, does it affect your steering as much as mine does ?
I am thinking of some sort of a separate lift that includes a spring so it can take some weight but still move with the ground.Maybe you could incorporate some spring into the lift arrangement to the loader to take some of the weight off?
If you go with a separate lift, you could include an accumulator deal to keep some pressure on the lift cylinder.
Looking like it does a nice job cutting, Paul.I found a spot of longer grass outside our place to test it yesterday. Pretty happy with how it cuts.
![]()
9 October 2026
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.youtube.com
Thanks Bill. Yes, I'm happy with how it cuts. For our lawn area the finish is plenty good enough for us, but I had to set it so low that the tips of the Y flail blades are quite close to the ground. Then even with the rear roller it skinned some dirt off a high spot where the ground wasn't very uneven.Looking like it does a nice job cutting, Paul.
Bill
