Front mount flail mower from mid PTO

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,488
11,272
113
Sandpoint, ID
Not being picky, just don't want it coming unglued on you.
And maybe add a couple gusets off the sides of those supports?

1791389100262.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
803
1,501
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
803
1,501
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
Finished welding a few bits then re-fitted the rear roller today. I also shortened the links between the tractor and the mower by about 300 mm to get it closer to the front of the tractor - hoping that this, along with the rounded ends on the rear roller, would help the steering uphill.

I had also made some other changes to allow it to drop a further 20 mm closer to the ground as the first cut was just a little long.

PXL_20261008_053822881.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20261008_053846091.MP~2.jpg

These links are still temporary - enough so I can use it to mow our grass. I think I'll make a lifting setup so I can use it with the loader removed.

I started mowing and the cut height was better, having it closer to the front of the tractor was better for maneuverability, but it didn't really help the steering uphill. The only thing that helped here was lifting the weight off the rear roller, then it steered like the mower wasn't there.

I tried it on some light green waste that we had pulled out of the garden and it mowed over it and mulched it like it wasn't there.

Here's what I tested it on....

PXL_20261008_055804018.MP~2.jpg

Sorry the video isn't great - best I could do from the drivers seat....


Pretty happy with how it works overall.

I'm curious - does anyone here use a front mounted flail mower with a rear roller ? If so, does it affect your steering as much as mine does ?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user