OK you Americans: the super pig is coming

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I totally understand the issue you’re having with hogs and get why things like this are done but not sure this is the best thing to promote or associate with hunting. Really get the tree huggers upset and makes others not so informed think we are just a bunch of monsters. We gotta do what we gotta do and I’m 100% on board with that but not everything needs to be promoted to folks who are not on the same page.

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Just outa curiosity question to all readers ??? is the tannerite and pigs legal in your state. I’m pretty sure it would never be allowed in Canada. I’m again not saying it doesn’t happen just curious.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Tannerite is legal in my state, but we don't have feral hogs.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Texas is their own country, regarding their ways to deal with things. I don't live there. I also don't compare that country to where I am.

I'll leave it at that.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Texas is their own country, regarding their ways to deal with things. I don't live there. I also don't compare that country to where I am.

I'll leave it at that.
Good, because we are overrun with Feral Hogs.

I've been battling them on my property for over 30 years.

If you want a little insight to what that entails.....I keep a small thread going here:

The Spread of Feral Hogs in the U.S. is something to be very concerned about:

Maps: The 1988 and 2004 distribution maps were created using data compiled by the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study, drawn from state fish and wildlife agencies, agriculture agencies, and universities; the 2022 distribution map was created using data compiled by the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study and the USDA.

feral-hog-map-1988.jpg

feral-hog-map-2004.jpg

feral-hog-map-2022.jpg

In my home state (Texas) Feral Hogs may be hunted by any legal means (which are many) and appropriately so. Feral Hogs are a scourge. If you don't have them, be thankful.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Years ago, folks down south wanted folks to help killing those pesky pigs. Now they charge to shoot on their land. Was going to go down until they started charging. Guess they don’t want the free help anymore. Know allot of folks who would do it.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Years ago, folks down south wanted folks to help killing those pesky pigs. Now they charge to shoot on their land. Was going to go down until they started charging. Guess they don’t want the free help anymore. Know allot of folks who would do it.
Actually, if we need anyone to 'help' us we won't have to have anyone 'come down'. There are plenty people 'in state' that would do it.

The trouble is, many of the folks so graciously volunteering to 'help' the hapless landowner's don't seem to know how to close a gate, stay on the roads (not drive across pastures or crops), pick up their litter, know the difference between a Black Hog and Black Calf.

Can actually shoot and know enough about hogs and hog hunting that they kill one or two instead of just running them over to the neighbors property. And it would be nice if we didn't live in such litigious times that when the 'help' sprains an ankle on your property, they want to sue you for it.

I know plenty of Land Owners (including myself) that allow folks to hunt feral hogs on their property. But you can bet your boots (if you have any)....they know those people and can trust them to respect the property and actually kill some pigs.

• Haha

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I would gladly go there to help on my vacation, but pay to kill them for the land owner? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

NOPE

There are legal methods to avoid being sued, if the hunters do not sign, no entry, period.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I would gladly go there to help on my vacation, but pay to kill them for the land owner? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

NOPE

There are legal methods to avoid being sued, if the hunters do not sign, no entry, period.
What there are....is 'waivers'. Does NOT prevent someone from suing you. Only makes your chances of winning the case better in court.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
What there are....is 'waivers'. Does NOT prevent someone from suing you. Only makes your chances of winning the case better in court.
Sue happy MFers. If I'm out hunting, I'm under my own judgements how things go, good or bad. I hear what you're saying...the liabilities can bite you in the azz for your kindness letting them in. The times we're in are fawked up.

Those who are real to the sport are down to earth real people.....or use to be.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Sue happy MFers. If I'm out hunting, I'm under my own judgements how things go, good or bad. I hear what you're saying...the liabilities can bite you in the azz for your kindness letting them in. The times we're in are fawked up.

Those who are real to the sport are down to earth real people.....or use to be.
Couldn't agree more on both points. And I am certainly not saying that there are not good and responsible hunters out there (from all points on the globe). But for the average Land Owner (not running a hunting lease) it isn't worth taking a chance on strangers....just to remove a few pigs. Sad....but true.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
When I was prairie dog hunting in Colorado I met a ranch manager from Texas that said he would supply the ammo and the beer and put us up in a bunkhouse if we wanted to make the trek. Tempting as it is, its a three day drive for me. Unlike prairie dogs, it looks like they scatter pretty fast after the first shot. Not sure I could make much of a dent in the problem.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Just outa curiosity question to all readers ??? is the tannerite and pigs legal in your state. I’m pretty sure it would never be allowed in Canada. I’m again not saying it doesn’t happen just curious.
Tannerite is legal but you have to be licensed in Canada.

The pigs don't need a license.

• Haha

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Couldn't agree more on both points. And I am certainly not saying that there are not good and responsible hunters out there (from all points on the globe). But for the average Land Owner (not running a hunting lease) it isn't worth taking a chance on strangers....just to remove a few pigs. Sad....but true.
Anything to do with guns, it seems the bad outweigh the good when it comes to the hobby/sport/enjoyment.

Rarely (in anti-gun states) do we hear the media praising the good of it, when the problems lie within those who continually pass "feel good" laws to gain votes.

I'm straying off topic, but can not help it.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Anything to do with guns, it seems the bad outweigh the good when it comes to the hobby/sport/enjoyment.
The bad will always outweigh the good because the bad makes better news stories.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Used to own a 50 BMG. That would be fun to use on those critters. That will make a pig fly.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Here I am shooting a 450 nitro express...... It is not that bad.... for the shooter anyways.

450 Nitro
That would shoot through several pigs. (y)

Even my 458 SOCOM will do that. I load up a 540 gr. hardcast bullet for it.

;)
BT1.jpg
BT4.jpg
BT5.jpg

They will shoot through as many pigs as you can get 'lined up'. I've never recovered one of these bullets. I don't know where they stop! I guess when they hit magma.

458d - Copy (800x637).jpg
Filled1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users