What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Nice stand.

Those who don't own a stand, back up to a heavy duty post and strap it to the post and disconnect. Or drill it down half way into the ground and disconnect it from the tractor.
If I were to drill a post-hole digger into the ground for storage in New England, the part in the ground would be a piece of rust after one winter.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The L4701 takes 10.6 gallons for the hydraulic sump/transmission when changing the filters (which was also called for). Another 6.9 qt for the front axle and somehow I had it stuck in my mind it called for R/R front axle oil at 400 hr, which is wrong; it’s actually 800 hr until the front axle oil change. So 10 gallons wasn’t enough but I do have the better part of a bucket left over. After blowing a line on a Sunday afternoon at about 25 hours in the midst of a job where stopping was not an option, I prefer to have at least some on the shelf and I had none left in stock, so part was restocking supplies. If I fully bought into Just In Time inventory methodology, I bought too much, so depending on your viewpoint, you’re correct.

Of course the Mule has no use for hydraulic fluid of any sort. 🙂
I have the L48 TLB, that holds approximately 15 gallons total ( 3 hyd. pumps) when empty.
The system holds a few gallons trapped, which will not/cannot drain.
I have been told that there is an open container shelf life limit for SUDT-2.
I currently have a 16 gallon inventory, .....all unopened.
I DUNNO.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If I were to drill a post-hole digger into the ground for storage in New England, the part in the ground would be a piece of rust after one winter.
Especially true in the salt air environment of Southern New England

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have the L48 TLB, that holds approximately 15 gallons total ( 3 hyd. pumps) when empty.
I DUNNO.
I doubt that if it is tightly capped that there is much difference between an opened container and a factory-sealed container. The same has been said about brake fluid, however, if it is tightly capped and no air can get in, it doesn't go bad. I believe that the manufacturers say this because they know that they can't control how a product is stored, so they assume the worst-case scenario and base their advice on that assumption. With brake fluid, I mark the bottle with a line where the fluid is, and if it is higher when I take it from the shelf, I know that it has been contaminated with moisture. Brake fluid is hygroscopic.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Duh.

That's more a temporary solution when your out and working fencelines, away from the homestead.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I DUNNO.
That’s one of the things I like about this site; it makes me think about stuff I probably never would think about otherwise. I was under the impression in a sealed container in a climate controlled building it would last at least as long as I will. But one of the things I know for sure is that there’s a lot of stuff I don’t know.

Tried to find info on the shelf life of SUDT2. Didn’t find anything other than the MSDS on Kubota’s website. This one is specific to the 5 gallon pails because I had to look it up by part number but I don’t know why it would be different for different containers.

When I got to page 8, the section about stability and reactivity, it looks pretty stable to me so long as it’s sealed and not subjected to “excessive heat”. I don’t know if “excessive heat” is a 110F shed loft or if that means don’t store it 1/2” from a fired wood stove, but I don’t plan to do either. I am not an engineer or scientist so could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️
IMG_1143.png

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Looking at the SDS linked above, this section is interesting:

Persons susceptible to skin sensitisation problems or asthma,
allergies, chronic or recurrent respiratory disease should not
be employed in any process in which this mixture is being
used. (Pg 5 Section 7)

So, reading that anyone with allergies or respiratory disease should not be using a tractor for a living. I guess as long as you are doing it for hobby and not employed, then it is okay.

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That’s one of the things I like about this site; it makes me think about stuff I probably never would think about otherwise. I was under the impression in a sealed container in a climate controlled building it would last at least as long as I will. But one of the things I know for sure is that there’s a lot of stuff I don’t know.

Tried to find info on the shelf life of SUDT2. Didn’t find anything other than the MSDS on Kubota’s website. This one is specific to the 5 gallon pails because I had to look it up by part number but I don’t know why it would be different for different containers.

When I got to page 8, the section about stability and reactivity, it looks pretty stable to me so long as it’s sealed and not subjected to “excessive heat”. I don’t know if “excessive heat” is a 110F shed loft or if that means don’t store it 1/2” from a fired wood stove, but I don’t plan to do either. I am not an engineer or scientist so could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️ View attachment 109384
This brings to mind the issue of "old" diesel fuel.
Some on here suggest that "old" diesel fuel, is unsatisfactory for use.

How many 55 gallon drums of diesel have been, and are, stashed around the world, to be used years later?
The Arctic, and Antarctic come to mind immediately, and...... there are many other remote locations worldwide.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Mis-calculated the height of a tree branch
Fortnately had gloves on when I grabbed it!
thought it was just the weld, but no!
20230816_104450_1600x1200.jpg

Tried to 'vice grip' it, the only spot then broke.
20230816_104851_1600x1200.jpg

Done mowing for now, also might need some burn ointment!
Thats gonna hurt in the hot tub!
20230816_104946_1600x1200.jpg

EDIT

Out to trim some trees now.

Didn't have any 'bailing wire' ;)

But this will quiet her down so I can get finished,
note to self AVOID THE TREES!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Don't have to worry about the Arctic and the Antarctic Because in 10 years according to some scientists, they won't exist because of "global warming", "climatic disruption" "environmental destruction" "global warming", "climate change", and "climatic disruption", "environmental destruction", "weather destabilization", and "environmental collapse". Just pick one of the terms that you like and insert it into the sentence above.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Done mowing for now, also might need some burn ointment!
Thats gonna hurt in the hot tub!
For burns like this, I use a horse ointment that promotes healing. It is called Furacin Dressing, and it is available where ever equine supplies are available. Fifty years ago when I first learned about this product it was used in many hospital emergency rooms for burns but fell out of favor because sometimes if there was contamination of the wound, bacteria could become sealed under the wound as the skin grew back. With your type of wound, I don't believe that it shouldn't be a problem, however, it is up to you to decide on its use". It was used incorrectly with 3rd-degree burns in the past and that is what caused its discontinuance in hospitals for burn patients. I would also stay out of the hot tub no matter what else you do, because of introducing bacteria into the wound.

Nitrofurazone dressing is an antibacterial topical ointment used for surface wounds, burns, abrasions to treat and prevent bacterial infections. Apply ointment directly to the affected area with or without bandaging. Contains 0.2% nitrofurazone in a water soluble base of polyethylene glycols.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Don't have to worry about the Arctic and the Antarctic Because in 10 years according to some scientists, they won't exist because of "global warming", "climatic disruption" "environmental destruction" "global warming", "climate change", and "climatic disruption", "environmental destruction", "weather destabilization", and "environmental collapse". Just pick one of the terms that you like and insert it into the sentence above.
Will I have time to build an ark?

On a serious note, with my former job, here is the location where I had some of projects on the Marshall Islands. https://maps.app.goo.gl/uSSPGnkusYhRZjHd6 The islands are only a few feet above sea level, guess what, they must be floating, cause since WWII, there has not been any indication of sea level rise, just shore erosion. These islands are restricted for civillian/anyones travel, All I can say is that AF has a nice golf course out there, bring your clubs if your in a position to visit.

If you think that islands don't float, better listen to the elected representatives....

On another serious note.
When will all the dinosaurs return??
Cause that's what I'm looking forward to is another hunting season And variety of meat.

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
I would also stay out of the hot tub no matter what else you do, because of introducing bacteria into the wound.

HMMMM, treated and sanitized hot tub water or untreated well water, not sure.

I know the local fire department 5 Mi away just had their well tested and had higher than allowed levels of (PFAS) AKA forever chemicals.
Damned if you do
Damned if you don't

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
HMMMM, treated and sanitized hot tub water or untreated well water, not sure.

I know the local fire department 5 Mi away just had their well tested and had higher than allowed levels of (PFAS) AKA forever chemicals.
Damned if you do
Damned if you don't
Water quality, pfas, pfoa all that, is what I used to do as an Environmental Biologist & Project Management. Never in my life did I ever expect to spend months learning about water. The well is hot for PFAS, because of firefighting foam. I can also assure you those same chemicals will be found in your ground water as well if your 5 miles away. About 7 years ago, DoD started to have all military bases tested and within 20 mile radius of the hot spots. I did environmental work for 5 years. Needless to say, all my drinking water goes through carbon filtration now.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
It hasn't rained here in about 6 weeks, and the temperature has been at or over 100 almost all of those days.

My poor grass looks like dried up cut hay and the trees are looking bad.

If we don't get some rain soon, I will be using it to carry dead trees to the back of my property.

• Sad

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Will I have time to build an ark?

On a serious note, with my former job, here is the location where I had some of projects on the Marshall Islands. https://maps.app.goo.gl/uSSPGnkusYhRZjHd6 The islands are only a few feet above sea level, guess what, they must be floating, cause since WWII, there has not been any indication of sea level rise, just shore erosion. These islands are restricted for civillian/anyones travel, All I can say is that AF has a nice golf course out there, bring your clubs if your in a position to visit.

If you think that islands don't float, better listen to the elected representatives....

On another serious note.
When will all the dinosaurs return??
Cause that's what I'm looking forward to is another hunting season And variety of meat.
Georgia rep. Hank Johnson is a full fledged buffoon, challenged only occasionally by Hawaii senator Mazzie Hirono.
How do voters elect these morons?

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
The well is hot for PFAS
Well caution to the wind, I'll wrap it in plastic seal it with some surgical tape.

I'm nursing two compressed vertebrates,
(my back needs the hot tub)
COVID as of Saturday morning,
And on August 31st I have a consultation for a wait for it....
hernia surgery.

Somewhere in between all that I need to get my firewood done for winter, so here is a link to my GoFundMe page.

HELP

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
It hasn't rained here in about 6 weeks, and the temperature has been at or over 100 almost all of those days.

My poor grass looks like dried up cut hay and the trees are looking bad.

If we don't get some rain soon, I will be using it to carry dead trees to the back of my property.
Where abouts are ya?

Cause my thermometer is stuck with this message...
FB_IMG_1692192095976.jpg

IMG_20230810_144005(1).jpg

About 30min north of Beeville.

Over 2 months since I had a drop of rain, I do have 2.3in of dust in my rain gauge though.

The last moisture we had was June 22, trace recorded, June 5, 4/10ths, June 4th trace. Last significant rain was mid May. Started cows on hay last month.
Screenshot_20230816_084117_AccuWeather~2.jpg