Looking for suggests : Getting rid of a big rock. See Pics.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You do something like that around here and there would be more atf ,swat and popo than you would believe

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Rock sled
current.jpg
IMG_20191111_093041867_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Thanks Guys..!

Wolfman.... ( and others ) Big thanks for the Dexpan suggestion.!!! For where it is located, that is a great option. We got a big hammer drill at work ( with all sizes of concrete bits ) that i could use.
If i go this route... I'll definitely take pictures.

I clicked on that dexpan link, i'll have to see it there are other container sizes available. not sure if i need that big a pail. But even at $55, that would be an easy way to break it up .

I thought about digging a hole and burying it , but where it is , with the tree right there, i"m sure i'd run into all kinds for roots.

Mikester / Flinknapper.... this is in my residential backyard. My Tractor is out at my hunt camp , 70 miles away. But.. for something like this,,,, wish i had it here.

Lil Foot... I do have an old Toyota Tundra hood that i use to skid rocks with. I pull it with my ATV. This one here is pretty big, i don't think my wheeler would have enough ass to pull it.
But on other rocks, the hood works out great, i drag them to the creek behind the house.

Reactions: 2 users

Drifthopper

Equipment
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
For those following this thread, and are interested in Dexpan. Click on the Amazon link , scroll down , and look at the pictures in the reviews.
Its pretty amazing stuff.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Wolfman.... ( and others ) Big thanks for the Dexpan suggestion.!!! For where it is located, that is a great option. We got a big hammer drill at work ( with all sizes of concrete bits ) that i could use.
If i go this route... I'll definitely take pictures.

That would be really cool to see. Hope you do it that way!

Mikester / Flinknapper.... this is in my residential backyard. My Tractor is out at my hunt camp , 70 miles away. But.. for something like this,,,, wish i had it here.

Gotcha! Didn't think about that. (y)
^^^^^
Expand for replies.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah, dexpan a GREAT new 'toy' to play with ! It'll break an 8by8by10 stone.
That 'rock' is easily moved by my BX23S ,as I've moved bigger than that.
if you need to redirect the pull, put a car with trailer ball in between rock and tractor.

Drifthopper

Equipment
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Tell us more about that Rock Sled? Material....how you made it?
Mine is just a truck hood. 2 eye bolts in the front. later this week, i'll get a pic of it. its nothing special, Lil Foot's looks better.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It is 1/4" mild steel; the steel supplier called it a mill end.
Apparently it is the start or end of a run of flat sheet, & that leaves it with the compound curve- the curves are just how I picked it up.
It is 48" wide, but it was a little short, so I added the tailpiece from my stash, just bolted on with 5/16-18 bolts.
They had 4 or 5, and I took the longest one. When I went back maybe two weeks later, they had none.
As soon as I saw it, I knew it would make a perfect skid. (or rock boat)
It's only disadvantage is that it is too heavy to move by hand, but I have a tractor for that. :)
I had used a car hood in the past, but they don't last long, and are full of sharp edges.
IMG_0002 4.11.41 PM 4.11.41 PM.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It is amazing how big a rock can be moved with the skid. The 3 big rocks (from left) in the first pic were all bigger than the one in the pic above, and the one in the yellow circle was probably at least 3 times the size and weight of them. When I pulled it down the county road, you could hear it crushing the gravel to dust.
IMG_08.jpg
IMG_17 anncopy.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
It is 1/4" mild steel; the steel supplier called it a mill end.
Apparently it is the start or end of a run of flat sheet, & that leaves it with the compound curve- the curves are just how I picked it up.
It is 48" wide, but it was a little short, so I added the tailpiece from my stash, just bolted on with 5/16-18 bolts.
They had 4 or 5, and I took the longest one. When I went back maybe two weeks later, they had none.
As soon as I saw it, I knew it would make a perfect skid. (or rock boat)
It's only disadvantage is that it is too heavy to move by hand, but I have a tractor for that. :)
I had used a car hood in the past, but they don't last long, and are full of sharp edges.
View attachment 94405 View attachment 94406 View attachment 94407
Yeah, gonna pass on the car hood thing. But I like the steel plate idea. Thanks.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Just get your bucket under half the rock then wrap a chain around the rock and drag it to where you want it to go.
Or split it.
Dexpan works but Feather wedges will be able to split 100 rocks before they wear out, dexpan is one shot and done.
You can get a set of feather wedges for cheap on Amazon. Youll need a hammer drill or Rotary hammer and bit to drill holes either way. You can rent one of those for cheap.

This is a 9000lb rock i split and used one half to place on the end of a pool as a jumping rock.

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Just get your bucket under half the rock then wrap a chain around the rock and drag it to where you want it to go.
Or split it.
Dexpan works but Feather wedges will be able to split 100 rocks before they wear out, dexpan is one shot and done.
You can get a set of feather wedges for cheap on Amazon. Youll need a hammer drill or Rotary hammer and bit to drill holes either way. You can rent one of those for cheap.

This is a 9000lb rock i split and used one half to place on the end of a pool as a jumping rock.

View attachment 94415

View attachment 94416

View attachment 94417

That is interesting. Not sure I can drill into the Iron Ore rocks we have around with the hammer drill I have. But I can sure that working on softer rocks (limestone and the like).

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
That's what I was thinking. IF 4wd should easily drag that rock out of there (being careful to control its direction.

Lots of things I can't 'pick up' with my tractor loader....I can easily skid, push or pull.

View attachment 94386
I've moved bigger rocks with smaller tractors. I'm guessing the OP's wife told him to "move that rock" and he said "Back off, can't you see I'm working on it? I just posted something about it on the internet."

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, so I finally looked at ALL the pictures....saw the 'obstickalls'......

so....
secure a chain around the two trees
fasten a sheave (pulley) onto the chain,just left of 1/2way between the sheds
park tractor in driveway,at sheave.
run rope from tractor,around sheave to rock
drive tractor across driveway
you may have to 'repeat as necessary', 2-3 times
takes less than an hour to make the wife happy....

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I've moved bigger rocks with smaller tractors. I'm guessing the OP's wife told him to "move that rock" and he said "Back off, can't you see I'm working on it? I just posted something about it on the internet."
^^^^^

IF your guess is correct, we could just send him a T-shirt:

fix it.png

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Assuming your tractor can move it one way or another, drag it to the front yard and put a "for sale" sign on it. Or if you have a local agriculturalauction place drag it there. Someone had a big rock like that on a pallet at my local agg auction and it sold for $100. I saw a big rock on a pallet and my first thoughts were "no bid". Yeah I was wrong.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
See pictures.

Rock is in my backyard, behind the shed, next to the tree, along the neighbors new fence.

When spring time / summer time comes, I'd like to get rid of it.

Its too big for me to move it as it is, So, I'm thinking of trying to break it up.....

But......

How..?
Have you considered posting it as a "landscape rock byer moves" on marketplace or craigslist for 75 bucks? maybe you can get paid 50 or 25 dollars for someone else taking it off your hands.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would be afraid that they might hurt themselves while moving the rock, and then sue me for their injuries. Not worth selling in my opinion.