Looking for suggests : Getting rid of a big rock. See Pics.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I would be afraid that they might hurt themselves while moving the rock, and then sue me for their injuries. Not worth selling in my opinion.
Yes, unfortunately we live in absurdly litigious times. I would not be inclined to let anyone on my property for that purpose (remove rock).

I have enough things my Wife regularly 'reminds' me of. Surely a wise man would not want to add to the list.

Reactions: 1 users

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
I've moved bigger rocks with smaller tractors. I'm guessing the OP's wife told him to "move that rock" and he said "Back off, can't you see I'm working on it? I just posted something about it on the internet."
Mikester..... Nope, it's my idea to get rid of it.
Before the neighbor's put that fence up this past Oct. I moved out 2 smaller rocks, I busted a nut, but was somehow able to get each on the hood and skid em out to the creek with the 4 wheeler.
this one is just too big. :(

I'm with Dusty..... If i posted in on Craig's list, i'm sure i'd get all sorts of inquires.... like " Can you deliver it ?"
It's not worth the hassle of having someone come in my backyard.

I think the Dexpan is the way...!

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Mikester..... Nope, it's my idea to get rid of it.
Before the neighbor's put that fence up this past Oct. I moved out 2 smaller rocks, I busted a nut, but was somehow able to get each on the hood and skid em out to the creek with the 4 wheeler.
this one is just too big. :(

I'm with Dusty..... If i posted in on Craig's list, i'm sure i'd get all sorts of inquires.... like " Can you deliver it ?"
It's not worth the hassle of having someone come in my backyard.

I think the Dexpan is the way...!
Will be watching for this....if you decide to go that way. I have a large Iron Ore rock I need to split before trying to move it elsewhere with my tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Learned a couple of things today.

Well 'confirmed' them really (already had a pretty good idea).

1. Iron Ore rocks are HARD! Really hard.

2. Hammer drill bits get HOT! Really hot.
(let them cool before changing them out) ;)

Iron Ore Rock1.jpg
Iron Ore Rock2.jpg

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
This is how the old timers drilled holes in rock.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if you drag to side of road, put 'for sale $100' sign on it, it'll be gone by morning......
sure you won't have the $100...OR the rock AND wonder just HOW did 'they' move it !

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Dexpan: $55 and one time use, have to wait overnight to crack the rock

Feather Wedges: $20 for a set and many many uses, maybe a lifetime, rock cracks right away.

Dont fall for the gimmicks like so many professional homeowners do.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
If you want to sell it, roll it on to an old car hood and drag it to the front yard.

Feather and Wedge

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Finally got rid of my rock today.

Had to split it a couple of times to break it down into manageable pieces.

But Feather/Wedges (appropriately sized) DO work.

Wish it had been Limestone Rock instead of Iron Ore though. Hard stuff. Not a lot of fun to drill into.

Feather Wedges.jpg

Iron Ore Rock Split1.jpg

Iron Ore Rock Split2.jpg

Iron Ore Rock Split3.jpg

Iron Ore Rock Split4.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Napper...... Where ya get them wedges..?

and..... Any idea how heavy those 3 pieces were...? could you , yourself , move em..?

I'm guessing my is lime stone......

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Napper...... Where ya get them wedges..?

and..... Any idea how heavy those 3 pieces were...? could you , yourself , move em..?

I'm guessing my is lime stone......
I ordered the wedges off of Amazon. I had a good selection to choose from (there) and they always ship quickly.

ama.jpg

I don't know exactly what each piece weighed. I couldn't fit the entire rock in my 5' bucket....and it would never have lifted it anyway, hence my need to split it. I could have dragged it but I wanted to move it a bit over 300 yds and then accurately place it in a 'wash'.

For anything larger....I would certainly consider making or buying a 'sled' of some type.

It's hard to tell in the pictures but the stone is on a slight incline. The small center piece I could lift (but didn't). I'm 6'-5" and 260 lbs. While I am old.....still pretty strong. The other two pieces I was able to use the 'breaker bar' to leverage into the bucket once I had the bucket in place.

The rock was about 5.5' long, around 24" wide and 18" thick at the thickest part. It is Iron Ore so by default quite heavy.

I would hazard a guess the larger pieces would have been something between 800-900 lbs. perhaps more IDK.

It was all my FEL wanted (My L2350 is compact tractor). I also had only a grader blade on the back of it for ballast at the time. My heaviest implement would have been a 5' shredder at about 550 lbs, but I just didn't feel like hooking it up for that one task.

Anyway....I was pleased how well the wedges were able to split the rock. But the ones I purchased require 1" diameter hole at a minimum depth of 8" (I drilled deeper). So drilling it took the most time and effort (in my case).

Last edited: