What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I’m pretty impressed with the tractor and the grapple. I did a few things that were probably pushing the equipment a bit more than I usually would as a test and to get a feel for my new equipment and all is well.

The first pic is a tree that was too long for me to move anywhere due to living trees in the way but I wanted to see if I could lift it. A bit of a struggle but stable and I could move it if I had room. So I found that it can handle more than I need.

I moved a bunch of smaller trees and branches too. There is a bit of a learning curve to operating the grapple efficiently but I’m getting there. Today was to just get comfortable and familiar.

Some pics at the end of my destroyed trails the scope of the tornado damage I’m dealing with. These pics are about a tenth of my project.

Also notice in the pics that I mounted my LEDs to the ROPS. I gotta wire ‘em and tweak the angles for coverage but I’m happy with the placement. Also happy that I’m up to 5+ hours AND I causes some light grass damage but no new ruts.

The ROPS are folded which I know is frowned upon but most of where I’m operating is around low branches so I don’t have much choice. Also my land is pretty flat so I don’t have much concern about tipping. With my wide tires I felt no stability issues. Flame away.

View attachment 76675 View attachment 76676 View attachment 76677 View attachment 76678 View attachment 76679
Thats a nice tractor I at times wish I'd gone down to the subcompact but i got what they had with a cab for my wife's convenience when she helps. I stayed away from my lower portion today. Being about 25 minutes from you Shekki I have a similar situation in my woods but not on the trails. You can see 1 laying in that other picture. Really thinking about just ordering that PTO Chipper that was suggested. My property is not flat except around the house, then once you go down the hills. OHHH im at 15.5 hours screwing around now. I played in the snow a bunch thoough and box bladed my driveway multiple times. Neighbor up the road bought 1 at the same time. I saw it delivered. Then saw again today, in the barn the rest of the time. I don't think I can do that. Didn't buy a statue for my barn. Its smaller with backhoe and midmount mower plus FEL.

I mentioned the chipper to my wife as i was trying to catch that brush on fire and she said that's worth it. I took that as she won't ask what the hell when it arrives. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Thats a nice tractor I at times wish I'd gone down to the subcompact but i got what they had with a cab for my wife's convenience when she helps. I stayed away from my lower portion today. Being about 25 minutes from you Shekki I have a similar situation in my woods but not on the trails. You can see 1 laying in that other picture. Really thinking about just ordering that PTO Chipper that was suggested. My property is not flat except around the house, then once you go down the hills. OHHH im at 15.5 hours screwing around now. I played in the snow a bunch thoough and box bladed my driveway multiple times. Neighbor up the road bought 1 at the same time. I saw it delivered. Then saw again today, in the barn the rest of the time. I don't think I can do that. Didn't buy a statue for my barn. Its smaller with backhoe and midmount mower plus FEL.

I mentioned the chipper to my wife as i was trying to catch that brush on fire and she said that's worth it. I took that as she won't ask what the hell when it arrives. ;)
I looked at the BX series but I had a JD 2320 previously at another property. That is similar to a Kubota B series. It did what I needed but sometimes barely so I wanted a size up from that for our newer place with twice the property. Oddly enough JD really doesn’t make anything comparable to the LX2610 which had the physical size I wanted and the less complex emissions. I could justify and use a bigger tractor but this’ll do what I need……it’ll just take a bit longer.

Today affirmed that I nailed getting the right tractor. Strong enough for what I need at a size that fits my property well. It’s surprisingly pretty comfortable to spend some time on. I’m sure my wife will adapt to it quickly as well

A cab would be nice but with my wooded trails and the added cost it just didn’t make sense for me. I don’t mind the heat in the summer since I spend lotsa time in the pool and I’m not on it long enough in the winter where my cold gear won’t cut it.

I think I’m gonna end up just renting a tow behind chipper this year. I’ve spent enough on tractor shenanigans recently plus have had a few decent pup vet bills as well. I figure I can rent the chipper 20 times for the cost of a WoodMaxx or Woodland Mills. I gotta ponder that purchase a bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I looked at the BX series but I had a JD 2320 previously at another property. That is similar to a Kubota B series. It did what I needed but sometimes barely so I wanted a size up from that for our newer place with twice the property. Oddly enough JD really doesn’t make anything comparable to the LX2610 which had the physical size I wanted and the less complex emissions. I could justify and use a bigger tractor but this’ll do what I need……it’ll just take a bit longer.

Today affirmed that I nailed getting the right tractor. Strong enough for what I need at a size that fits my property well it’s pretty comfortable to spend some time on. I’m sure my wife will adapt to it quickly as well

A cab would be nice but with my wooded trails and the added cost it just didn’t make sense for me. I don’t mind the heat in the Summer since I soend lotsa time in the pool and I’m not on it long enough in the Winter where my cold gear won’t cut it.
Zero turn has no cab, i am fine with the heat too. Was a trade off when i told her i was buying the tractor. When cold it was nice though. I wanted a lx3310 but the sales guy also talked me in to the larger as its physical footprint isnt that much bigger and the 4cyl versus 3 cyl spiel. I dont know about all.of that, I do like your tractor, smaller can be better in tight quarters. I doubt ill ever use 40hp on my 5 acres and im certain mine is way more top heavy. Price wise the limited cab vs the lx3310 cab was not far-off. Then no one had 1.
Anyhow im glad you got to use it !!! Im cutting a 40 foot pine down tomorrow will be using tractor to take trunks to a location to burn. Hopefully dried out more today.

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Zero turn has no cab, i am fine with the heat too. Was a trade off when i told her i was buying the tractor. When cold it was nice though. I wanted a lx3310 but the sales guy also talked me in to the larger as its physical footprint isnt that much bigger and the 4cyl versus 3 cyl spiel. I dont know about all.of that, I do like your tractor, smaller can be better in tight quarters. I doubt ill ever use 40hp on my 5 acres and im certain mine is way more top heavy. Price wise the limited cab vs the lx3310 cab was not far-off. Then no one had 1.
Anyhow im glad you got to use it !!! Im cutting a 40 foot pine down tomorrow will be using tractor to take trunks to a location to burn. Hopefully dried out more today.
I got the chainsaw fired up and sharpened today. We’re gonna try to tackle clearing one of our main trails this weekend.

We have 11 acres and border a 70-ish acre nature conservatory (whatever that is) that the owners encourage us to use. It’s great for dog walking and mountain bike riding. Our trails being obstructed have made using all of that rather inconvenient. We miss it.

Very few of the downed trees aren’t pine so we also wanna get to those so we can get ‘em prepped for chopping into firewood.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I got the chainsaw fired up and sharpened today. We’re gonna try to tackle clearing one of our main trails this weekend.

We have 11 acres and border a 70-ish acre nature conservatory (whatever that is) that the owners encourage us to use. It’s great for dog walking and mountain bike riding. Our trails being obstructed have made using all of that rather inconvenient. We miss it.

Very few of the downed trees aren’t pine so we also wanna get to those so we can get ‘em prepped for chopping into firewood.
I have mostly locust and black walnuts that spew those things everywhere, some Oak and buckeyes and Ash. Someone planted 2 pine trees in 1970 probably at each end of the frontage. Now they are towers and dead. A neighbor stopped and asked if i needed help cutting. I said i was just going to drop them as therr is room and clean up on the ground. He wants to climb, buck while standing. So hey, knock yourself out.
If i gave you my address and you do google earth all you see are trees. The pond and the house roof. Lots of trees. So wind storms are an adventure. !!!!

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I have mostly locust and black walnuts that spew those things everywhere, some Oak and buckeyes and Ash. Someone planted 2 pine trees in 1970 probably at each end of the frontage. Now they are towers and dead. A neighbor stopped and asked if i needed help cutting. I said i was just going to drop them as therr is room and clean up on the ground. He wants to climb, buck while standing. So hey, knock yourself out.
If i gave you my address and you do google earth all you see are trees. The pond and the house roof. Lots of trees. So wind storms are an adventure. !!!!
Got the tree all down and limbs burned. Still need to finish cutting the last 2 trunks up and dig out the stump.
20220318_085220.jpg
20220318_134941.jpg
20220318_134343.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Ripped out about the last 20' of half dead hemlocks with a chain on the bucket. They were down a steep bank and no way to use the grapple or toothbar. Then I swapped the bucket for the grapple and dropped them deep in the woods. The pile of hemlocks I had pulled out last year had to stay at the edge of the lawn because the grapple came in after I seeded. Now that pile is also gone.

While I was in the woods the neighbor's tree had come down into the clearing I made several years ago. It was so dead it broke up into bite sized pieces no longer than 10'. That also is gone.

On the way out I spotted a nice sized rock that I picked up and placed on the end of one of my planting areas.

I think I'll keep the grapple!

Reactions: 2 users

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Nice setup……beats dragging!
Poor mans grapple..for now..went smoothly. Lived here 10 years and just met this neighbor in person from 1/2 mile up the road.
Semi retired arborist. Was enthusiastic about climbing and topping that tree. He was a HUGE help i put.small stuff in the bucket andvstartrd a fire burnrd as he cut. 3 hours with probably half talking was all done but those 2 logs. I told him i can do those go home. Was a good day. 👍

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Dropped the box blade off in the back of the basement of the carriage house. Removed the front loader bucket to not gouge my doors again. Not bad to do.

Put the Frontier bush hog back on.

Lubed the FEL points. Forgot to do it at 20. Now 23.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Made a little mess, and I know better.

Power company bucket truck rutted up the lawn a little after a storm and tree took lines down. Our lawn is far from manicured.

Was 70 degrees today. Thought maybe just run over the ruts with the tractor tires……but WAY too wet still.

Turned a couple bigger ruts into a bunch of little ones…..DUH… I know better…..:rolleyes:

Before…..
D16788D7-520E-47CF-A831-C159810555DD.jpeg

After….probably worse….always let things dry out for a while…. Even the little BX was sinking in 4”…..

16832A18-3F7B-496D-985D-AED84DB670EC.jpeg

Last edited:

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Before……
C05B0C4D-F8B6-46CF-8CCB-AC505D27D304.jpeg

After……
4438DE17-15A1-48DA-AD1C-A7DCDDB32EB5.jpeg

Not finished with clearing this trail but a nice dent. Still have maybe a dozen trees blocking then I’ll have to fix the ruts which should be quick work with the box blade.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok. Broken waste line today. The KX and B2650 were both too fat, so, a rented U-17 got the call. Couldn't squeeze it through the gate, so a section of fence had to be dropped.

Ready:

H4FAL17901.JPG

Dig:

H4FAL17902.JPG

H4FAL17903.JPG

Not much shoulder room in this back yard

H4FAL17904.JPG

New poop line:

H4FAL179_6.JPG

done...well, I didn't get a shot of the backfill job. Too tired and back was aching a bit.

H4FAL17905.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Have had a minor leak at the third function quick connects on the end that attaches to the grapple. Figured I probably messed up and damaged an o ring by allowing some dirt in it when hooking up so decided to try replacing o rings. One came out easy. Likely no problem with that one. The other one was hard, brittle, and was a pain to get out. Somewhere between uncooked pasta and Bakelite in consistency. Bent one of my brass picks getting it out. That seemed to fix the leak, but didn’t run the grapple more than just testing it for leaking. Greased the loader and wiped off about a quart and a half of old grease that’s been pushed out over multiple greasings. Only work was taking a new washing machine off the back of the truck with the forks and loading the old one on the truck for hauling to the dump. Not a lot of hours put on it. It was a lot better than wrestling with washing machines.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Can you explain why 3 risers?
clean out up?
clean out down?
Valve?
And if a Valve why?
Wolf, first two risers are for the house trap (and vent, the first in line will have a vented cap). The third riser is for a two way cleanout. There is a two-way cleanout Tee lying in its back. All are required here by code.

Here's a better pic.

H4FAL179_4.JPG

one more example:

H4-CRE312_20.jpg

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's interesting, maybe that's a municipal sewer line code, or local code?
As our sewer line from the house to the septic tank hook ups don't get the trap or the vent just a cleanout every 100', I have three as my tank is 250' away from the house.