Front & Rear 3rd Function?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I need another line of fluid for a grapple on the front ( which I plan to use regularly ) and I need a line to the rear for small seed drill ( which I'll rent from the NRCS and use rarely ).

Would it be crazy to add a 3rd function kit ( i'm thinking the Summit Kit ) for the grapple and then, for the occasional rear hydraulic needs, run temporarily hoses from the font to the rear? Once I'm done with the seeder, I'll remove the hoses and go back to just a regular 3rd function to the front.

Any better solutions? I suppose I could put a diverter valve in somewhere but that seems like a lot of cost / plumbing for something i'll only a handful of times ever.

I'm not sure what the cost of the hoses / fittings would be? Just brainstorming for now.

I have a L3130 btw.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
That is exactly what I did. I already had the 3rd function on my tractor and no rear remotes. I bought two lines and made a mount for my roll bar and attached a breakaway clamp with breakaway couplers. I can easily remove the lines by removing the two bolts on the back. There are many solutions to adding hydraulics, but I went as simple as possible.
20210821_101000.jpg
20210821_101010-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
That is exactly what I did. I already had the 3rd function on my tractor and no rear remotes. I bought two lines and made a mount for my roll bar and attached a breakaway clamp with breakaway couplers. I can easily remove the lines by removing the two bolts on the back. There are many solutions to adding hydraulics, but I went as simple as possible. View attachment 64869 View attachment 64870
That’s awesome. Just what I envisioned.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I keep reading about "third function" - what exactly is it? From what I read it's just an extra valve & cylinder on the front end, purpose of which can vary?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I keep reading about "third function" - what exactly is it? From what I read it's just an extra valve & cylinder on the front end, purpose of which can vary?
That's pretty much it. Function one lifts / lowers the forks, function two curls / uncurls the bucket. Anything else ( like a grapple arm ) needs another circuit or “ function “….. a third function.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I went the other direction. I have 3 rear remotes. For my grapple (coming some day) I will have a pair of hoses from the rear to next to the loader valve. There I have a pair of couplers in case I ever want to remove the loader. From there I have a pair of hoses to the loader where I made a bracket for the grapple couplers.
I just have to finish running the rear pair.
Some pix:
at the loader valve - I'll come out with a long sweep 90 towards the front and then follow my rear remote hoses to the back (about 8' of hose length)
hoses connected at fel.jpg

The front - I attached strut to that shield plate
front hoses connected - bird dogger's bracket.jpg

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Thanks CRFJR. The strut you attached to the shield plate? Where did you get that? Did it come with an install kit? I'd like to have one.

LB

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks CRFJR. The strut you attached to the shield plate? Where did you get that? Did it come with an install kit? I'd like to have one.

LB
It's a piece of standard low strut. The company I works for sells 20 footers. I'm always looking for damaged (bent) pieces they are going to scrap. I just cut it to size and rattle can painted it Kubota orange. On the other side I similarly mounted a 12v 20amp waterproof socket for my sprayer.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I have the 3rd function for my grapple, with lines plumbed to the rops. Using the grapple in the winter is extremely Unlikely so it’s set up for my chute on my rear blower. With the plan to eventually get a hydraulic top link. Works great. Next up will be an electric actuator for the deflector on the blower that will also run a winch. Second picture. The disconnects go to the loader so I can remove it. The rear lines are hard lined as they will never require removal.

*edit. These are old pictures. I didn’t realize I don’t have a pic of it with the loader disconnects. But they are on the top ports of the valve.

23B49F7A-FC81-4AFE-9627-9B6F4BE500A5.jpeg

875A95CB-9279-41A5-8D0F-EC12D5238CB6.jpeg

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I have the 3rd function for my grapple, with lines plumbed to the rops. Using the grapple in the winter is extremely Unlikely so it’s set up for my chute on my rear blower. With the plan to eventually get a hydraulic top link. Works great. Next up will be an electric actuator for the deflector on the blower that will also run a winch. Second picture. The disconnects go to the loader so I can remove it. The rear lines are hard lined as they will never require removal.

*edit. These are old pictures. I didn’t realize I don’t have a pic of it with the loader disconnects. But they are on the top ports of the valve.

View attachment 64912

View attachment 64913
So, you split the line after the 3rd function valve, run a set up front for the grapple and a set to the rear for whatever. All the hoses stay in place no matter which end you're operating. Correct?

Very good idea.

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
So, you split the line after the 3rd function valve, run a set up front for the grapple and a set to the rear for whatever. All the hoses stay in place no matter which end you're operating. Correct?

Very good idea.
yup! I do have couplers now on the lines to the loader. I will take a couple pics in a bit.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada

Very good idea.
here are some better picture. The lines to the front stay with the loader when I disconnect it. I made that bracket for the front couplers.

C38DFD49-B20C-45D2-8E56-B90D98C7C83F.jpeg

6FE2EEE7-2B72-46AD-9E50-274579AB6282.jpeg

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I went the other direction. I have 3 rear remotes. For my grapple (coming some day) I will have a pair of hoses from the rear to next to the loader valve. There I have a pair of couplers in case I ever want to remove the loader. From there I have a pair of hoses to the loader where I made a bracket for the grapple couplers.
Some pix:
at the loader valve - I'll come out with a long sweep 90 towards the front and then follow my rear remote hoses to the back (about 8' of hose length)
View attachment 64883

The front - I attached strut to that shield plate
View attachment 64885
I like your install but noticed the retainer pin for the loader mount. Isn't it supposed to be in the small hole so it hangs down? In that position it is in it can move and the large mounting pin can work out.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I like your install but noticed the retainer pin for the loader mount. Isn't it supposed to be in the small hole so it hangs down? In that position it is in it can move and the large mounting pin can work out.
Good pickup! I've had this tractor for 1 year now and never noticed that :( - fixed ty

20210822_190120_resized.jpg

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Love it. This will be my plan. I'll try to source all the parts from Summit tomorrow.

I'm trying to figure out your fittings bracket on the ROPS. Did you custom make it or can you point me in the right direction to obtain a way to affix the hose fittings?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Love it. This will be my plan. I'll try to source all the parts from Summit tomorrow.

I'm trying to figure out your fittings bracket on the ROPS. Did you custom make it or can you point me in the right direction to obtain a way to affix the hose fittings?
Don't know if you are directing that to me LarryBud but just do a google search on "hydraulic coupler bracket". You will get all you ever need :)

uh oh - just saw you said ROPS :(
I got mine with FitRite Hydraulic's rear remote kit.

Last edited:

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Some pix:
This is what I have. I haven't tried to actually run anything up front with it. There will probably be coordination issues since the remote lever and the loader joystick are both on the right-hand side of the tractor (and I only have one right hand)

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Don't know if you are directing that to me LarryBud but just do a google search on "hydraulic coupler bracket". You will get all you ever need :)

uh oh - just saw you said ROPS :(
I got mine with FitRite Hydraulic's rear remote kit.
Thanks. I'll look it up.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada

not sure about your model. (i can post a pic later)... on my 23s the dealer drilled 2 holes into the taillight bracket and put the fittings there. works great