Little Dump Trailer

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Finally got to move some dirt with this trailer. The load shown is two B219 buckets full, slightly damp fine roadbed material. The B7100 didn't even know it was back there, even with a 3rd bucket in the loader.

Conclusions:
It is awkward to unhitch, load with dirt & hook back up, especially alone. (you better back it up to align the hitch exactly, because you won't move the trailer by hand once it's loaded) But I moved 9 buckets of dirt in 3 trips, instead of 9 trips.

On flat ground everything works great, but throw an 8" rock or stair step in the mix & the tongue drags; not much can be done to correct that, that is where the tongue lives.

The foam tires had almost no "squish"- much less than I expected.

The foam tires had almost no flotation in soft stuff. They dug deep ruts in my cinder driveway, while the R1 tractor tires hardly left a mark.

All in all, pretty happy with the trailer, dumping the load was a little PITA, but that was because of the damp material. Dry stuff would probably dump with no problems.

Attachments

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Conclusions:
It is awkward to unhitch, load with dirt & hook back up, especially alone. (you better back it up to align the hitch exactly, because you won't move the trailer by hand once it's loaded)
That's why you are supposed to have two tractors.

Bruce

Reactions: 1 user

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I used a little trailer like that for years, pulled with my 4 wheeler. I extended the tongue on mine by 2 or 3 feet for easy backing.

Tips:

1. If you haul heavy for long it will break the tongue where the latch is.

2. If you're hauling across the side of a hill it can break the centers out of the wheels and when that happens it really sucks.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Are those solid foam filled wheels?
Yes, & they seem to work well, but they squeak a little- under load, they squirm against the inside of the rim- not a problem, but odd.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I used a little trailer like that for years, pulled with my 4 wheeler. I extended the tongue on mine by 2 or 3 feet for easy backing.
Tips:
1. If you haul heavy for long it will break the tongue where the latch is.
2. If you're hauling across the side of a hill it can break the centers out of the wheels and when that happens it really sucks.
1)I'm guessing I won't use it that much, but if it breaks I'll use the opportunity to make a new tongue similar to the one billrigsby posted earlier, for more clearance. (pic)
2)Little to no sidehill, but I will keep that in mind, thanks.

Attachments

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Been using my Polaris trailer for just over 8 years now. Normally I pull it with the ATV so that the tractor can load it, but last weekend I used it behind the B2620 to pick up fallen branches from the winter.
It hasn't broke yet, other than I have plywood on the floor now. The steel floor cracked and broke and was sagging so bad it was starting to touch the tires. But that comes from 8 years of loading it right up with maple hardwood firewood.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Later this year I hope to move my Rhino up to my mountain place, then I can tow the trailer with it & load with the tractor.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Yes, these little trailers get the job done for cheap. But it would be nicer having a lift system. I just rake the material out the back until I can lift the box.

I affectionately call mine the "filing cabinet on wheels" because they have the same metal and construction and make the same racket when they bounce around, LOL.

Camlocker75

Equipment
L3830, L3901, JD 5103
Dec 30, 2015
Alabama
Haha. I bought one of those trailers off a guy for $25 a few years ago. The only thing I've used it for is pulling my daughter and dog around our land. Thing was practically new when I got it....:D. May need to use it more often.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I just rake the material out the back until I can lift the box.
A garden hoe works great.
I affectionately call mine the "filing cabinet on wheels" because they have the same metal and construction and make the same racket when they bounce around, LOL.
That's funny. and accurate!

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Notice too, that the Craftsman one has the same dump box as my Polaris one. Only the axle and tires are different.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I think everybody has one of those. I had one. back in Illinois where it got used to pull the kids around more than anything else....once in a while a bag or two of dirt. Here in Missouri it's been filled with logs, rocks tools and just about anything you could imagine. I'm looking to find another one and make one large 4 wheeler so I can un-hitch it and load it rather than leave it attached to a tractor.
That will also give me an excuse to buy a Mig. Gotta plan ahead.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Mine was a package deal with my riding mower. My buddy has one,an old ford one. Handy but hard to back up. Want to put a ball coupler on it too. Hard to back up,but will extend tongue when i add coupler.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
UPDATE- I finally got some time to paint the little dump trailer, and found some larger rim/tires for it.
paint tail.JPG paintbody.JPG tire comp side.JPG tirecompfront.JPG

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
About the time I was going to assemble it, I found another trailer at an estate sale for $40 that I liked better. Tires were shot, but I shifted gears and put the new larger tires/axle on the larger trailer.
It is a Brinley/Hardy with a bigger box- the old Craftsman is 30" x 47" x 12", and the Brinley is 31" x 46 1/2" x 16".
I extended the tongue and put a folding tongue leg/stand on it.
The orange one will now go up for sale.
IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026.JPG

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Got the exact same trailer, but mine has pneumatic tire a regular axle.
I put a piece of 1/2" plywood in the bottom to keep the noise down when I throw rocks or wood in it.
I put the plywood UNDER the box to support the bottom. Keeps it from getting pounded to pieces by firewood tossed in. Took the box off, cleaned things up while I was there, put in a slab of 5/8 pressure treated plywood. Works quite well, and yes, it does cut down the noise. Probably not as much as plywood inside would, but enough for me.