Little Dump Trailer

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Picked this up yesterday, should make moving dirt easier, or ay least quicker.
It's kinda banged up, spent half the day pounding out dents & straightening things. It's rated at 1000# & 12cu ft.. It's best feature is the no flat tires, but not sure why anyone would pick blue tires on red rims for a black trailer. Note the high tech undersized 5/8" all thread axle.:rolleyes: That's going away tomorrow or the next day. Pretty sure I've got a set of ball bearings that will fit & a piece of 3/4" cold roll for a new axle.
P.S.- This is the trailer I had in mind to pull with the backhoe hitch.

Attachments

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I have one similar and I'm afraid to pound it into shape it might not make it LOL the tailgate won't stay on either. The kids had it so full of rocks one day both tires went flat and come off the rim .but it sure is a great trailer considering it hasn't spent a day indoors in its 9 years. My trailer would be proud to have those wheels and rims I'll post a pic later on today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Got the exact same trailer, but mine has pneumatic tire a regular axle.
I put a piece of 1/2" plywood in the bottom to keep the noise down when I throw rocks or wood in it.
Pull it around the property with my golf cart. Don't know what the rating is, but I've loaded it about half full of rocks and completely full of Red Oak without a problem.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
These tires have no brand name, so I'm not exactly sure, but ratings for various tires of this size & type run from 550-670lbs each. (There are also similar looking tires except on a plastic wheel instead of a steel wheel, and they run 300-450lbs each.) I'm far more concerned about the threaded rod axle, hence the upcoming change. The 12 cu ft rating is heaped rather than level, so as with all things, common sense will be required.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That first one looks like the tongue, box, & tilt latch are identical to mine, but the axle mounting setup is different- looks like it sits lower than mine. Newer design I guess. I had a smaller trailer exactly the same design as my current one about 40 years ago.
That second one looks like it might be stronger, but more work to tune up.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
There are some nice dual axle trailers out there, but most are beyond my budget.
Wish I could have bought the one pictured below, less weight capacity, but a lot bigger box, (17cu ft) and a dump truck style tailgate, but the guy has run ads on craigslist & offerup for almost 4 months & will not answer any contacts. I can only assume he sold it & is too lazy or stupid to take the ads down.

Attachments

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Here's my beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, it's no hangar queen! But unlike most of this vintage I have seen, the tires look like they hold air.

Last edited:

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
That second one looks like it might be stronger, but more work to tune up.

Well, thats the one I went with, since I had to venture into "the "city" any way.

I figured $25 vs $100, a stouter body, pneumatic tires, larger box and both Were missing the tailgate. It would be worth it.

(both would be a project)

It is a 4 seasons haul all model 480 50" X 30" X 12" (10 cu ft) - Made by Central Quality Industries in Polo IL

SO LET THE PROJECT BEGIN.....

Time to de-rust, primer, paint and re-assemble

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Time to de-rust, primer, paint
Wish I had the time to pretty mine up, just making it functional for now.
Was supposed to finish today; cut axle to length, chamfer ends, drill cotter pin holes, & assemble.
But, ran into a small problem- my lathe is supposed to have a .767 spindle bore through, but they left about 1 1/4" in the center of the headstock rough drilled, undersized, & badly off center. The only boring bar I have long enough & small enough to reach in there is not stiff enough to cut the relatively hard metal of the spindle. Crap. What I need is a long .767 solid carbide finish bore, which I'm not likely to find, or be able to afford either. Kinda stuck right now; I will go through all my tooling tonight & see if I can come up with a solution.
In olden days (B4 retirement) I would just go into my shop at work & make something suitable, if there wasn't a tool available in the tool crib. Alas, those days are gone.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Seems likeit may be a challenge. Adjustable reamer would be something i would try, but mine dont go that small i think. A bushing for support and a home brewed fly cutter of sorts?
Im just throwing ideas at you, mabye inspire something. Nothing like making tooling to fix tools.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Got something cooking, will report back when I've made some progress.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
OK, back on track, I'll cover my lathe fix in another thread:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=202800&posted=1#post202800

I mainly spent a lot of time pounding out dents & straightening things. No cosmetic restoration for the time being. Lots of the old bolts broke when I removed things for straightening, so some new hardware was added, as were corner braces between the top rail & tailgate supports. Added an aluminum angle brace to the bottom of the tailgate, (stiffer & an extra handle) and a 3"x4"x 1" steel block was added to the latch/front support mechanism. This was severely bent from slamming the bed down, and the block will stiffen things considerably.
Finally, the threaded rod axle & 5/8" bearings were replaced with 3/4" stuff that I had on hand. As a side note, I found 2 manuals for this trailer, one states it is 12cu ft heaped, the other 10cu ft level. Both have the same inside dimensions, 30"x48"x12".

Attachments

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you plan to use it much especially if you plan to haul heavy you need to beef up the tongue. I added a piece of channel from the axle out and made it 2' longer so it's easier to back. I also put a ball hitch on mine instead of a pin type.

Where the latch is will break if you haul heavy, long story. Also if you are heavy going along the side of a hill it will break the centers out of the wheels, another long story.

I was fine when I only pulled it with my 4 wheeler because I couldn't handle a full load on hills. As soon as I started pulling it with my tractor is when everything went South. Of course I guess pilling it full from corner to corner wasn't the best idea either.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for the heads-up & recommendations Bulldog.
As I was going through it straightening & such, I was already thinking 10 or 12 cu ft of dirt is a lot of weight for a design with the lack of any real structural members, so I was planning on easing into it.
I was also considering a 2" ball coupler- my 920lb roller has a pin type hitch that I have adapted to take a ball coupler quickly & easily. I think I will swap that coupler between the two- I can't foresee a situation where I'd need both at the same time.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
if you are heavy going along the side of a hill it will break the centers out of the wheels
I'm surprised to hear that, I would have thought the tires would roll off the rim before that happened. I have seen lots of wheelbarrow & hand truck wheels break up like that, but only with the plastic wheels.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm surprised to hear that, I would have thought the tires would roll off the rim before that happened.
I had already had that happen. In a "hey y'all watch this" moment I foam filled the tires with great stuff so I couldn't mash them flat. My Brother and I were using my farm for motorcycle tracks and we hauled dirt everywhere. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was several thousand tons we moved with a 7100 and my Honda Big Red 3 wheeler. I was loading it so heavy it wouldn't even take off on flat ground. I would load it then give him a push start. Looking back I think it might have been abused just a little. :D