Which would you buy?

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
Hi all..New member here but have been following and learned a lot about these great orange tractors. Ive been shopping for a BX25D or 23S for a while now and have come down to the following two near me and i'm not sure which one to buy.

The first one is a 2015 BX25D with 45hrs and very clean, looks brand new. also comes with a brand new 5' Land Pride back blade and 3 pt hardware. Wants $16250.

The 2nd one is a 2015 BX25D with 299hrs clean but has a few bumps and scrapes, but the bucket and BH look hardly used. Also has a 54'' mower and 3pt hardware. it was mainly used for mowing. Wants $16000.

The 2nd one seems like the better deal due to the mower but i probably wouldn't mow with it, i have another dedicated lawn tractor. I like the very low hrs on the 2nd one and would use the back blade.

What do you guys think is the better value?

Thanks
JG

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I really don't like the term 'clean' when it comes to tractors. Clean applies to cars and you after a shower....

What I'd do is look them over real well and disregard 'clean'. Get underneath and look for leaks. Check the front axle for weeping seals and all the cylinders, Kubota's have a habit of having weeping packings.

All tractors get dinged after a while, part of a tractor, however, look for cracked tin or plastic, Kubota replacement tin and plastic parts are super expensive and ask for the service records on the 299 hour tractor. The other one is just coming up in a service so expect to be buying filters and make up fluid.

On the 45 hour unit I'd want to know why it's being sold.

Not sure I'd ever get a hoe. Much less expensive to rent a trencher for a day.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
I guess i should add that both are mechanically in great shape, no issues on either that i could see, the one with low hrs is from a guy that buys and sells from an auction and flips them so no history available on that one but its basically new but no warranty left. The one with 299 hrs is from the original owner and claims to have always kept up the required maintenance schedule.

Thanks

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
If it were me I would buy a brand new 23s from Barlow’s in Kentucky. I would bet you could get one delivered to your door with a full warranty and zero percent interest for five years for two or three thousand dollars more, and get a warranty to boot. Those machines were about $17,000 brand new four years ago, so I don’t see either of them as a bargain.

Jerry

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If it were me I would buy a brand new 23s from Barlow’s in Kentucky. I would bet you could get one delivered to your door with a full warranty and zero percent interest for five years for two or three thousand dollars more, and get a warranty to boot. Those machines were about $17,000 brand new four years ago, so I don’t see either of them as a bargain.

Jerry
Agreed. I was quoted $18,500 for a new bx23s when I was shopping. Wasn’t from Barlow’s, was the best quote from dealers in my area.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
They seem equivalent machines, and similar price. Buy the one that comes with the attachments you want - sounds like you don't need a mower and would use a blade, so buy that one. What would you use the back blade for - and are you sure you don't need a box blade instead?

On the topic of new v's used.....if you can afford a bit more get new with financing and warranty. But remember that new won't necessarily come with those attachments, so extra cost there...but if you need a box blade not a back blade, then buying new you get exactly the implements you need, not making do with the implements a second hand one came with.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
Hi all..New member here but have been following and learned a lot about these great orange tractors. Ive been shopping for a BX25D or 23S for a while now and have come down to the following two near me and i'm not sure which one to buy.

The first one is a 2015 BX25D with 45hrs and very clean, looks brand new. also comes with a brand new 5' Land Pride back blade and 3 pt hardware. Wants $16250.

The 2nd one is a 2015 BX25D with 299hrs clean but has a few bumps and scrapes, but the bucket and BH look hardly used. Also has a 54'' mower and 3pt hardware. it was mainly used for mowing. Wants $16000.

The 2nd one seems like the better deal due to the mower but i probably wouldn't mow with it, i have another dedicated lawn tractor. I like the very low hrs on the 2nd one and would use the back blade.

What do you guys think is the better value?

Thanks
JG
I played this game last year and just bought a new one. For a few thousand saved it wasn't worth the risk of god only knows what was done with or to it, lack of the multi year warranty, 0% or low% financing. Plus the new machine has upgraded over the 25d.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would be a little suspicious of a 45 hour tractor that was sold at an auction to be flipped not knowing why one with that low hours went to auction. Without a paper trail for it, 2 things come to mind. 1) It had serious troubles, 2) It was stolen and someone could come looking for it and you could be out of a tractor and your money.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
It was stolen and someone could come looking for it and you could be out of a tractor and your money.
"Tractor Time with Tim" had this happen to him. He bought a tractor at auction, got a "good" deal.... only to find out later the tractor was stolen. They took the tractor and he was getting no where with the auction house in getting his money back. That was last year. Don't recall from his videos if he ever got his money back.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
i had gotten quotes from both Barlows and Messicks, both were right at $20.5K. I bought the one with low hours. Ive put about 5 hours on it now working with the loader and backhoe. It seems perfect, I love it. Glad i went with this one.

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
i had gotten quotes from both Barlows and Messicks, both were right at $20.5K. I bought the one with low hours. Ive put about 5 hours on it now working with the loader and backhoe. It seems perfect, I love it. Glad i went with this one.
Good call. Low hours is a no brainier if you can spot a lemon. Lots of people with more money than brains (like myself) buy them new with no real use for them then when done with chores sell them.
I checked out the 0% purchase locally and I negotiated a MUCH better price buying out right. In the end I did like you and bought a low hour B2910 years ago and saved even more.
Smart move on your part. Unless it's a dedicated mower/3ph and no loader, bh you'll never swap implements to cut the grass.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
Agree...i was ready to go new but with the much higher price for essentially the same thing plus having to pay almost 9% tax where i live it just didn't make sense. I would of like to use Kubotas money with the 0% financing but then would of had to buy the insurance at roughly $25/mo as my home owners wouldn't meet their requirements.

JG