When oil prices go up more what are you....

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
The price will get to the point i will add a fuel surcharge. Not something I want to do. I buy over 6000 gallons a month.

Reactions: 1 user

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
All will be fine. Costco announced they are raising their minimum wage to $16 an hr. and others are right behind in income increases. Doesn't that solve all the problems?

Oh, Toyboy, where are you finding a room for $60 a night? Did you mis-type and need a one right after the dollar sign?
LOL, I was just throwing our some #'s to make a point that gas is the cheapest part of any vacation.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This thread is similar to someone looking at the whitecaps and believing that’s all there is to an ocean. It’s deeper than that.

The online shipping example is prime: the UPS/Fed-EX delivery trucks are far more fuel-efficient than a hundred people driving to the store to buy one item they could have found online.

If a $8/hr employee has trouble buying $5.80 OSB... how is doubling his salary going to help him buy OSB that increased prices SIX-fold? He needs more than that or the lumber industry will suffer. Fair wages for fair work in the lumber yard. Doh.

The example of driving a large truck/SUV to work close-by ...compared to an economy-car 3 miles farther away... is apples/oranges logic.. It ignores the fact that if you lived even closer.... a person could walk or bicycle to work. Few people in the U.S. live sufficiently close to work to walk or bicycle. Mobility is a hall-mark of American society. We were using millions of barrels of oil long before the rest of the world ... because we were more mobile long before the rest. It’s our custom... and one we likely should reconsider. We are no longer unique in that regard, and we should probably reassess our lifestyle before it’s too late.

A main feature of a free-enterprise system is cost vs value. We spend exorbitantly on mobility because we can. When it gets expensive...we’ll constrain our mobility. It’s a natural matter of cause-and-effect.

The earlier 2008-2016 reference ignores the wider picture. 2008 was the End of a long-slide downward in unregulated and out-of-control banking/finance/business practices which resulted in the long, hard 8-year climb back to a healthy economy. Those 8 years from 2008-2016 were not the Cause...they were the Recovery period. But the patient exited the hospital and completely forgot the lesson, and went right back to wild, runaway spending sprees and here we are again.

Land in Texas is being wolfed-up by cash-rich incoming escapees from where the cost-of-living has long been out-of-control. Land next to my place sold for what we thought was outrageous $7K/ac only last year. That same undeveloped scraggy land is now being offered at $35K/ac and newcomers to the state can’t pull the cash out of their pockets fast-enough.
Banks, financial institutions, Investors and Developers have completely forgotten what happened in 2000-2008 and are making the exact same mistakes as they made last time.
We can look forward 5 years and we’ll be seeing foreclosures all-over-again.... but the prices will contain much larger numbers.

We are seeing people rush to be in the next train-wreck..... Ironically..... it seems to some of us to be in slow-motion.

I’m going to sit back, conserve my resources, and watch.

Last edited:

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
At $2/gallon gas we barely hit $100/month on gas so not likely to affect us much, directly.

Indirectly? I guess we'll see.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As some alluded, "oil" prices affect so many aspects of our daily life.....vehicles, shipping, $16 wages....it's all inflationary.

I used to use ~1,000 gallons of heating oil per year, and tried to pre-buy with income tax refund.

When my "preferred" pricing was $4,200 for a year's oil 15 years ago, I bought a pellet stove and supplies for that $4,200.

Now I use ~20 gallons/year of oil. But a tractor trailer only hauls 22 tons of pellets....what's that do to prices?

As NIW said, OSB now $33+/sheet.... those materials have to get to my store/yard/house somehow....

Will I be driving an electric pickup tomorrow...NO! I pay $30/week for gas now; was $20 a few months ago.

We'll get by, the fuel prices will add cost, but I don't believe it will be a life-changing experience that some think it will. We've been over this ground many times in the last 30 years.

COVID has altered so many markets already, and I think the oil pricing will be another nuisance, but not a lot more.

Hell, after what we've been through over the last 12 months, why not another PITA.....

Don't get me wrong - - - it sucks.

Thank goodness we're here to complain about it...

Many are not....

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am going to keep on keeping on and I figure on $100 per night lodging which includes breakfast plus an apple, etc. for a mid-morning snack. My sky ain't falling yet. :rolleyes:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you need it you will pay the asking price it is that simple

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
wages are not going up (at least not here). Covid among many other factors have kept wages stagnant. They've been stagnant for the last half decade. But the cost of living went way up around 2014-16, then started to level off. Now the cost of living is going up again, faster than the norm.

So what happens when the cost of something goes up and your income doesn't increase proportionally? You make a cut somewhere to offset. Where are you gonna make the cut(s)? That--is the question. Those cuts could mean no more taking the kids to school make them walk. Or make them take the bus. I mean come on, I live like 2 blocks from 2 schools, I walk over to both for their different programs (baseball, volleyball games, car shows, all kinds of stuff), yet my neighbor who lives even closer than I do, load up both of the girls in the Suburban, drive them a block and a half to school, SIT in traffic for 10-45 minutes until they get close to the front door, drop them off, then drive past the house to the other school to go to work. Daily, twice a day. In the summer afternoons I guarantee that Suburban doesn't shut the a/c off, and sits in traffic forever...up to 2 hours that I know of. That Suburban might be seeing 2 mpg if she's lucky. Fill it up twice a week at $60 each time. The line of giant SUV's sitting at school between 245 and 330 is mind boggling. The school system has buses, and they run. My brother drives one of them. His route, it's a 71 passenger bus and there are maybe 20 students on the bus every day. Fill it up. People talk about wasteful spending? smh

There are so many ways that people can be more efficient, but it's not convenient for them so they don't do it. Sooner or later they're going to have to figure it out.

"we" pay $200+ for TV when an OTA antenna is $20 initial and $0/mo. Some people smoke a pack a day. $7.50/pack 7 days a week 365 days a year adds up to, what, $2700 and change in a year? Vacation money!! We pay $500+ a month for electricity because we can't turn the heat down or the a/c up a little "because it's inconvenient". My GF is guilty, we butt heads something bad over the heat and a/c temps. The other neighbor keeps the a/c on 65 in the summer and wonders why their electric bill is $650/mo. Duh!! (I keep mine on 75-79 in summer and 66-68 in winter). We take 4011 showers a day and use the dishwasher to wash 2 dishes because it's inconvenient to do it by hand and we certainly need to stay "clean". Then we make 50 trips a week to the grocery store for bread, milk whatever....when if we'd put it on a list, or add it to a pickup list over time, then dump it/pick it up once a week, we'd save a ton of money just in fuel. We eat at Chik-Fil-A at lunch every day, at $8-$10 a pop--when we could make up a sammich and eat at work, for $2/day. Trust me, this stuff all adds up because I'm living proof that you CAN live cheap and happily, but only if you put your mind to it! Most of us haven't or won't. My GF is one of those that won't, but she's going to have to figure it out quick if she's gonna be hanging around here.

back on topic, what certain leaders have proven in the past is that they may not have the power to ban or take something away, but they can make it much more expensive by taxing it, or forcing companies to do certain things, which trickles down to the consumer as a price increase, to the points that we can no longer afford to use whatever it is, forcing us to use alternative products. That is "their" end goal. If the liberals want electric cars, they can manipulate the markets such that fossil fueled vehicles will become so expensive that nobody can afford them, all the while increasing the incentives to buy alternative fueled or electric. One of many examples. Bullets and firearm related items are another example. Cigarettes are another. Tax it heavily for income but not too much so that people are more likely to quit using them. I think many don't (or refuse to?) understand how all that works.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Been hearing from other dealerships that they are seeing a lot of gas tanks being drilled lately.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Rubber tires, plastic containers etc., oil isn't just for breakfast anymore.

Lumber was wild last year due mainly to supply and demand. Ask any contractor you know how last year was for work. Everyone I know was booked a year in advance due to all the "unexpected" jobs.

This year lumber increases will definitely be affected by oil prices.

This particular industry is hit in every direction from fuel prices.

Getting equipment to the remote locations of the trees takes a lot of fuel.
Getting the trees down takes a lot of fuel.
Getting the trees out of the woods takes a lot of fuel.
Getting the trees to the mill takes a lot of fuel.
Getting lumber from the manufacturer to the wholesaler takes a lot of fuel.
Getting the lumber to the retailer again takes a lot of fuel.

Road regulations and lower load weight limits also have a detrimental effect on the price of lumber.

I know a few people on a fixed income that are crushed by unnecessary fuel increases.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Buy a quad cab 4x4 short box with the big block v8. Use it as your commuter vehicle with one occupant and nothing in the back. Buy a 4wd 7 seater SUV as your second vehicle.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Gas went up here yesterday and nearby towns .10 a gallon so on and on it goes.
I noticed it bumped up a bit here too. I was thinking $2.75 by summer. At this rate, it might be more. But, who can predict the future?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Red is going for about 2.85 to 2.95 and Diesel has been steady at about 3.39 that was of yesterday afternoon

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Looking at gas stations today, many had regular gasoline for $2.49/gallon. $2.99 up your way Chim? That stinks.

Diesel was $2.69 the other day. I had a $1.00 discount at Kroger and got 35 gallons of it for $1.69/gallon. I had thought about buying more last year since diesel keeps much better than gas. But, I don't have a large tank, just jugs. No more diesel than I use, it was not worth the hassle for me. Sux to know the next time I buy some it may be double what the last price was.